Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Underbody Rust

21K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  cutlea01 
#1 ·
I was looking at previous notes about picking up new cars with rust on exhausts etc.
I thought I had nothing else to do but slide under my 2 year old vehicle and take nice photos, but I got a shock of the condition underneath. There is no underbody protection applied after production. They have used mild steel bolts all over, even on the stainless steel exhaust clamps. The rear cross member has flaking rust patches.

My previous vehicles were two VW Touareg's and I was under them fitting side steps they were totally sealed and had no visual surface rust.

Is this penny pinching by Jaguar to get the model into production thinking the aluminium body will not rust but what about the add on bits of mild steel. ?

My vehicle is going in to the dealership tomorrow for ongoing (5th time) repairs to internal door creaking and groaning that started after all the keyless access door handles were replaced last year.
I will bring up the rust problem with them and see what I'm fobbed off with. !

This has changed my mind on how long I'm going to keep it and any future F-Pace purchase.
I love the looks, speed, road holding and the magic fuel mileage but to have it rotting underneath is a concern.
How bad are the original 2016 models.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi,

Looking at pictures i assume you have been driving in winter when salt spreading is on roads that might be one of the reasons.
Myself I have not yet found a single car wash to wash undercarriage of car after winter driving.
I don't know how it works these sort of undercarriage cleaning is a must at least after winter salt spreading on roads. As for the protection bit I have not yet seen any car or manufacturer who applies any protection on exhaust or nut and bolts, also if you live near to sea side then you can't do anything about it just live with it or change car frequently. Salt and sea side locations are not good friends no matter how much you invest to protect it. That's my personal experience and in the end I just gave up.

One thing I have noticed our f pace is not shielded the way German cars are underneath.

German cars are completely shielded from front to back. F pace is like a Japanese car partially shielded.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Good Afternoon Craigann B

Thank you for your post.

I am concerned to learn of your comments. However, I can confirm that the vehicle body goes through several dips to apply protection prior to being built.

I would advise that if rust is present on the vehicle then it needs to be investigated by your local retailer and repaired as required.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#8 ·
Dan
I have been through the factory at Solihull. Only the body is dipped. The rust is on the mild steel cross members and mild steel nuts and bolts used.

#9 ·
Good Morning Craigann B

Thank you for your post, and the update.

At this point I would advise that you visit your local Approved Retailer to ensure that a full inspection on the extent of the rust can be carried out by a technician.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Dan - Jaguar UK

#10 ·
Hi all, I am fairly new to this having only owned by 2017 F-Pace R Sport a few days. I had to click and collect (in poor light) due to current circumstances. I inspected bodywork and inside etc but wasn't able to look underneath until I got home. Out of interest I looked underneath yesterday and was shocked by the poor state and significant amount of rust present. I have attached pictures, am I worrying about nothing and this is standard or do I need to get it addressed? Any advice would be gratefully received. It has only done 25,000 miles.

Attachments

#13 ·
I got a shock when mine was 2 years old. Same state as yours.
Had my dealership check with Jaguar as was rejected.
Have a look under a new one and the steel cross beams are now coated.

Forget about any help on rusting brake disc's. They don't want to know. Typical UK car manufacturer, my wife's 12 year old polo is fully coated underneath.

#15 ·
No Jaguar said rusty discs are not covered under warranty as it's a wear item.
What really annoyed me was the dealership in Perth.
It was in for it's 3 year service and first MOT. The service report said the rear discs required changing as rusted but the MOT had an advisory saying the FRONT discs were rusted and to be monitored. ??? The separate technicians must have been talking and got the info mixed up front and rear. Just given the fob off by the service dept.
Going to replace the complete set in February before it's next MOT but certainly not with Jaguar TaTa steel crap.

#16 ·
Siliconsilver said:
Thanks Craig did you manage to resolve it? This is the state of the discs and pads which was Jaguar approved and apparently not an advisory on the MOT?
Interesting. Step daughter has 2020 Evoque and the exposed parts of the disks not covered by pads (the edge as shown in Siliconsilvers image for example but also the central area near hub) are painted in pale grey high temperature paint. It seems they have made some improvements on various JLR models to prevent this sort of problem....although they don't accept it is a problem, of course.

#17 ·
apemberton I have been looking at Lanoguard Vehicle Underbody and Chassis Care Kit, the spray application looks good. Does it look the sort of stuff you can just spray underneath indiscriminately without having to mask individual parts? Are you planning on sanding / spray washing existing rust patches first?

#21 ·
Craigann B said:
No Jaguar said rusty discs are not covered under warranty as it's a wear item.
What really annoyed me was the dealership in Perth.
It was in for it's 3 year service and first MOT. The service report said the rear discs required changing as rusted but the MOT had an advisory saying the FRONT discs were rusted and to be monitored. ??? The separate technicians must have been talking and got the info mixed up front and rear. Just given the fob off by the service dept.
Going to replace the complete set in February before it's next MOT but certainly not with Jaguar TaTa steel crap.
Let me know what you go with and where you get them from. I've had trouble sourcing after-market discs and pads and am reluctant to try and order myself as I know I'll order the wrong bloody things!

#23 ·
Yes, avoid the exhaust and the brakes! Also any exterior paint, such as around the wheel arches but most of the inner arches are protected with the plastic liner. Target suspension, steering and subframes (the metal components).
I'm hoping to use a ramp at a local garage in exchange for some beer tokens. Would be so much easier to get it up off the ground to do. Also the tip is to keep the spray bottle and liquid in a bucket of warm water to help it spray better, especially in colder weather.

#25 ·
I was looking at previous notes about picking up new cars with rust on exhausts etc. I thought I had nothing else to do but slide under my 2 year old vehicle and take nice photos, but I got a shock of the condition underneath. There is no underbody protection applied after production. They have used mild steel bolts all over, even on the stainless steel exhaust clamps. The rear cross member has flaking rust patches. My previous vehicles were two VW Touareg's and I was under them fitting side steps they were totally sealed and had no visual surface rust. Is this penny pinching by Jaguar to get the model into production thinking the aluminium body will not rust but what about the add on bits of mild steel. ? My vehicle is going in to the dealership tomorrow for ongoing (5th time) repairs to internal door creaking and groaning that started after all the keyless access door handles were replaced last year. I will bring up the rust problem with them and see what I'm fobbed off with. ! This has changed my mind on how long I'm going to keep it and any future F-Pace purchase. I love the looks, speed, road holding and the magic fuel mileage but to have it rotting underneath is a concern. How bad are the original 2016 models.
in the summer , put some cardboard down , get a long radiator brush , bristle , not nylon , and a big five litre tin of ebay waxoyl and cover everything you can underneath , brilliant stuff i have used on classics for years !

#26 ·
Or use easy to apply Waxoil in aerosol spray cans, in original or black colour. Stand the cans in warm (not hot!) water to make the contents easier to apply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.