Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Total Customer Care Failure- Lancaster Reading

16K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Apollya 
#1 ·
I write this in an extremely angry and Frustrated mindset.

On October the 15th I called my dealership above and requested 4 x Continental TS 850 P Winter Tyres in size 255/55/19 . These are listed as an OEM approved winter tyre for my Fpace.
I did a lot of research into the exact approved winter tyres I wanted fitted.

The appointment was made for the 30th October to coincide with a software update to 18c.

I had the software update on that day , but the tyres I was told were on back order so this would mean yet another trip to the dealer.

I was then called and told the tyres came in last Thursday and we arranged an appointment for them to be fitted today.

I went to the dealership and was told the price would be £928 fitted, I queried this cost as I did have a previous quote , but as I needed them I agreed to just get them fitted.

When my car was ready a few hours later I walked out to find my car was not fitted with Continental TS 850P but fitted with Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tyres .
It was quite hard to see the tyre make as all four wheels and tyres were left in what I can only say as a disgusting filthy state. Never the less I spotted the mistake and advised the tyres were incorrect.

I did not want to accept these tyres and said so, but in the end I had little option, as to not accept them would have meant pulling those tyres off and refitting my summer tyres , then returning once more to get the correct tyres fitted and the summers pulled off again . This was also on the condition - "IF" they could source the correct ones, which soon transpired to be they cannot get them . As everyone knows pulling on and off tyres would possibly lead to chances of rim damage.

I have therefore in the end accepted a reduction in cost of £116 for the error .

In summary:
Should it take what would eventually be 3 dealership visits in order to get what I asked for in the first place fitted?
Should I be pleased I now have tyres I didn't want fitted ?
Should my vehicle have been left with tyre fittment "stuff" on the wheels and tyres as pictured below?

Perhaps in future I will just go to a local tyre fitter and receive a better service, as going to the dealer , which I thought was the better way, has turned into a complete and utter shambles.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Notwithstanding all the inexcusable pratting about they've done with you on this, some dealerships really don't do themselves any favours at all. I can't believe they seriously handed your car back to you with the rims all smeared with gunk like that - some traces on the rubber tyre wall might be expected, but not that amount and certainly not on the alloy rims themselves. That is shoddy and careless work and leads me to think the dealership don't really care. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even correctly balanced either, after seeing that 'standard' of work. You would very likely have had better service at a Kwik-fit.

#3 ·
catwoman said:
You would very likely have had better service at a Kwik-fit.
Are you sure it wasn't done by Kwik-Fit? I know my dealer farms out all their tyre requests to ATS next door, if they put a trained JLR mechanic, or even an apprentice, on the job you would charge you 50% more than you already paid!! Check the work wasn't sub-contracted.

Still shoddy service regardless of who performed it. The dealer is responsible.

Jock

#5 ·
HB_NORM said:
Interesting and disappointing to hear this about Lancaster Reading as they are currently trying to sell us an F-Pace and couldn't be more helpful. Typical sales vs aftercare transition.
Oh yes there sales are good .....it's the after bit that is shocking

I have emailed CRC and Kenny Mark the boss at Lancaster Reading.
Still sitting here fuming .

They can, put the correct tyres on it and leave it in the condition in which I left it with them.
They can even have there £116 back if they are that desperate.

#6 ·
If you ordered the Continentals they should never have fitted the Pirellis without asking you first regardless of any other factors, availability etc..

As for the gunge on the rims and sidewalls it is quite normal for most tyre shops to hand the car back in a similar state however not for a Jaguar dealer. They wanted to charge you a little under a £1,000 for the job, so the very least they could do was to provide you with a service wash and make sure the grease was removed from the rims and tyres.

As previously stated it is quite common even for the larger dealerships to contact out their tyre fitting, tyre shops are far more competent and ten times quicker at fitting tyres.

Well you probably paid list price for the Pirellis, I would guess that you could have purchased them at around £250 less elsewhere, so no I would not accept the £116, I would go back to them and insist on a further £150 discount.

#7 ·
Blackcircles would have charged you £971.20 for the Pirelli tyres and fitted the Continentals for £1,028.40. Just to add a bit more salt to the wound the £116 Lancaster Reading graciously gave you back is not much more than the difference in price of the tyres, personally I would be a little bit more than miffed :evil:

Product Azure Automotive tire Font Material property

Light Automotive tire Product Azure Font

Attachments

#8 ·
Get a local quote from your major local Tyre supplier and see if the price is cheaper as Jaguar "promises" to refund the didderence.
I have asked 3 different dealers for tyre quotes and all have given prices higher than what National or other major tyre suppliers can supply.
They have all refused to match these prices as they say they cannot purchase them at these prices.
So what about the Jaguar price promise as per their Webb site. (Attached)

Attachments

#9 ·
Ordered my winter tyres from Camskill and fitted on the drive today by Tyres on the Drive. Really good service. Turned up on time. Wheels balanced and cleaned afterwards and no fitting lubricant remaining. Checked torque settings and tyre pressures with me. Camskill also highly recommended as a supplier. Not sure I would bother going to a dealer for tyres and would certainly order from Camskill again. Very knowledgeable and helpful staff.

#10 ·
I also got some spiel from the dealer that Their supplier orders their stock in bulk for the Lancaster group and they are manufactured for them so it takes time.Once this stock is depleted there are no more.
Sounds like the tail wagging the dog!

I checked the year of manufacture in the tyres and they are the 41st week of 2017 (4117), so that means whilst it's ok to sell them they certainly weren't made this year.

I've always been wairy of Tyres age having been sold a set of "new tyres" previously that were 6 years old, so I always check the DOT last 4 numbers on the tyre.

There is no law against selling old tyres, it's one to watch for. They have a shelf life.

#11 ·
You pre ordered the tyres. You had an appointment to have them fitted. You did not get what you ordered. Their mistake. I would have not paid and asked for them to be exchanged over. Then to provide a loan car for the time you have to wait or let you drive on the tyres whilst they arrange an exchange over to the correct ordered tyres.
Would you pay for a meal you did not order ?... No...

#13 ·
June16 said:
I also got some spiel from the dealer that Their supplier orders their stock in bulk for the Lancaster group and they are manufactured for them so it takes time.Once this stock is depleted there are no more.
Sounds like the tail wagging the dog!

I checked the year of manufacture in the tyres and they are the 41st week of 2017 (4117), so that means whilst it's ok to sell them they certainly weren't made this year.

I've always been wairy of Tyres age having been sold a set of "new tyres" previously that were 6 years old, so I always check the DOT last 4 numbers on the tyre.

There is no law against selling old tyres, it's one to watch for. They have a shelf life.
Got a quote for the Continentals, newly manufactured at the back end of last year too, £143 a tyre fitted. Kingsway Tyres. They've ordered them in and will let me know their condition.

I think your dealer is taking the Michael and should make it right to you. That's abysmal service.

#14 ·
Dealer might have just redeemed themselves .

Phone call today, they will collect my car from home tomorrow , fit the correct tyres and return it to me cleaned.

Hopefully this will put an end to the problem

#15 ·
On a related but slightly different topic - Bit early for putting the 'winters' on isn't it? Still double-digit centigrade where I live which will burn through winter tyres at twice the rate of summers. Last week in November is the earliest I've ever had my winter wheels put on, and might well be later this year!!

#16 ·
Matteus F-Pace said:
On a related but slightly different topic - Bit early for putting the 'winters' on isn't it? Still double-digit centigrade where I live which will burn through winter tyres at twice the rate of summers. Last week in November is the earliest I've ever had my winter wheels put on, and might well be later this year!!
Bought a house in Scottish Highlands ,, so driving back and fore to their next month. If staying down here in the SE. Yes it would be a bit early.

#17 ·
June16 said:

Phone call today, they will collect my car from home tomorrow , fit the correct tyres and return it to me cleaned.

Really good to hear this, We've just put our holding deposit down on a Santorini Black F-Pace! Glad they sorted it out as they have been faultless with us.

#18 ·
HB_NORM said:
June16 said:

Really good to hear this, We've just put our holding deposit down on a Santorini Black F-Pace! Glad they sorted it out as they have been faultless with us.
Yes they've come good in the end and apologised for the lack of or should I say disjointed process that would have prevented this.
On the whole it is a good dealership, I had in the past rejected two Discovery sports there ( long story) prior to getting the FPace which I love. It just seems they need a kick up the backside when things go wrong. The service staff are great to deal friendly with and always look after you, but nobody seemed to know what to do when on occasion it goes wrong.

I have to add I'm pretty fussy and demand and expect good service, so they have high expectations to meet in my case.

You'll love your new car!

#19 ·
June16 said:
HB_NORM said:
June16 said:

Yes they've come good in the end and apologised for the lack of or should I say disjointed process that would have prevented this.
On the whole it is a good dealership, I had in the past rejected two Discovery sports there ( long story) prior to getting the FPace which I love. It just seems they need a kick up the backside when things go wrong. The service staff are great to deal friendly with and always look after you, but nobody seemed to know what to do when on occasion it goes wrong.

I have to add I'm pretty fussy and demand and expect good service, so they have high expectations to meet in my case.

You'll love your new car!
I've noticed if you keep on top of them they are very accommodating and adapt to individual needs. This is our 7th brand new car in 4 years due to two (2) previous rejections with our most recent rejection being a matter of weeks ago thanks to our Audi S3 having an engine failure after 2000 miles from new. Needless to say like yourself they have already identified our high expectations and know not to wash the car that arrived late September. Its disappointing to know a £65k has sat around for over a month but I guess demand isn't quite there, which is obvious with the poor amount of foot fall they get in the dealership. Therefore, I would hope they are more willing to retain the customers they had and likewise new customers as we went back and forwards 4 times to look at the car until making a final decision today.

Please keep everyone updated would be great to see they held their word just like I expect they will with us.

#20 ·
June 16, if you are coming to live anywhere near Inverness, there is only one dealer and you'll be pleased to hear that in over 30 years of doing business with them I have not had any serious disappointments with them. I, like you, expect a reasonably high level of service, and they do try to achieve this.

Jock

#21 ·
JOCK55 said:
June 16, if you are coming to live anywhere near Inverness, there is only one dealer and you'll be pleased to hear that in over 30 years of doing business with them I have not had any serious disappointments with them. I, like you, expect a reasonably high level of service, and they do try to achieve this.

Jock
I wasn't sure whether to use Perth or Inverness I'll be in between the two . It's good to know you've had a good experience with them, thanks.

#22 ·
June16 said:
Matteus F-Pace said:
Bought a house in Scottish Highlands ,, so driving back and fore to their next month. If staying down here in the SE. Yes it would be a bit early.
Yep, that makes complete sense. Thanks for confirming.

#23 ·
Well it's back.

It has the correct tyres on 👍
The wheels look spotless 👍
The car had a full valet 👍

It's a bit dark to see much as it just been returned.
I'm happy now!

#25 ·
Well done to your dealer, just a pity they made you have to report their initial actions on here as opposed to a happy story of 'whoops we cocked up, sorry we'll sort it out if you can give us a little time' and then got it right as they have eventually.

#26 ·
June16 said:

Checked the last 4 digits of the DOT on my new winter tyres today and they are all 3218 so week 32 (1st week August) in 2018. Pretty pleased with that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.