Winter Tyres

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
CS@Jaguar

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by CS@Jaguar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am

June16 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:02 pm
Hi
I am, as I guess many others will be, looking for winter tyres shortly.
I have 255/55/R19 tyres fitted.

I’ve looked at the OE recommendation in the manual , which shows the same tyres as listed in topix
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/documen ... c/G1879446

I noticed that the MY18 and MY19 OE winter tyre recommendation list contain tyres that have now been superceeded in some cases with later models by the manufacturers.
In effect the:
Continental TS 850p is now superceeded by the TS 860 S
Will the OE recommended tyres be updated to reflect , the manufacturers changes?

Secondly in this tyre size will JLR now recommend an all weather tyre, such as the
Michelin CrossClimate SUV. 255/55 R19 111 W XL

It’s seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends , new products released and availability.

Thanks
Hi June16,

Thank you for raising your concerns.

I would like to take the opportunity to advise that Jaguar have acknowledged this thread and the concerns raised are currently being investigated by the relevant area of the business.

Once I have received a response, I will arrange to provide further details on this thread.

I apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thanks,

Becci

June16

Post by June16 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:50 am

CS@Jaguar wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:19 am
June16 wrote:
Hi

I’ve looked at the OE recommendation in the manual , which shows the same tyres as listed in topix

I noticed that the MY18 and MY19 OE winter tyre recommendation list contain tyres that have now been superceeded in some cases with later models by the manufacturers.
In effect the:
Will the OE recommended tyres be updated to reflect , the manufacturers changes?

Secondly in this tyre size will JLR now recommend an all weather tyre, such as the

It’s seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends , new products released and availability.

Thanks
Hi June16,

Thank you for raising your concerns.

I would like to take the opportunity to advise that Jaguar have acknowledged this thread and the concerns raised are currently being investigated by the relevant area of the business.

Once I have received a response, I will arrange to provide further details on this thread.

Thanks,

Becci
Thanks Becci,
It will be good to have the recommendations updated before winter if possible 😀😀

Cheers
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

mik

Post by mik » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm

I mentioned before that 275/40/22 are within thd recommended range for the oem 22" rims.

I ordered a set of 275s at the weekend. Pirelli's in this size are £400 a set cheaper than 265's (!) but I know the Vredstein Wintrac are excellent so saw no reason not to save a further £100 and go for them instead.

camskill link
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

CS@Jaguar

Post by CS@Jaguar » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am

June16 wrote:
Hi

In effect the:

Thanks
Hi June16,

Thank you for you enquiry.

I can confirm the approved Jaguar tyres advised in your vehicle handbook are tested by Jaguar to ensure that they meet with the requirements for our vehicles at the time of manufacture of the vehicle.

As I am sure you can appreciate, there may be times where the tyre manufacture offer a new tyre in place of a previously available tyre that meets with the same standard. We are unfortunately unable to continually test and review tyres each time a change or amendment is made to the tyres that a manufacturer produce. However should the tyre manufacturer offer a new tyre in place of the OE supplied tyre, provided it was of the same specification as documented in your vehicle handbook with the same driving characteristics, it would meet with our approval.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss this with Pirelli and they have confirmed that the Scorpion Winter tyres are available. I have contacted Continental in regards to the comments raised and I am currently waiting for a response.

In order to seek confirmation of compatibility I would recommend speaking to the tyre manufacturer, who should be able to provide you with details of equivalent tyres that are currently available.

Alternatively your local approved retailer would be able to assist further.

Thanks, Becci

June16

Post by June16 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:32 am

CS@Jaguar wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:36 am
June16 wrote:
Hi

In effect the:

Thanks
Hi June16,

Thank you for you enquiry.

I can confirm the approved Jaguar tyres advised in your vehicle handbook are tested by Jaguar to ensure that they meet with the requirements for our vehicles at the time of manufacture of the vehicle.

As I am sure you can appreciate, there may be times where the tyre manufacture offer a new tyre in place of a previously available tyre that meets with the same standard. We are unfortunately unable to continually test and review tyres each time a change or amendment is made to the tyres that a manufacturer produce. However should the tyre manufacturer offer a new tyre in place of the OE supplied tyre, provided it was of the same specification as documented in your vehicle handbook with the same driving characteristics, it would meet with our approval.

I have taken the opportunity to discuss this with Pirelli and they have confirmed that the Scorpion Winter tyres are available. I have contacted Continental in regards to the comments raised and I am currently waiting for a response.

In order to seek confirmation of compatibility I would recommend speaking to the tyre manufacturer, who should be able to provide you with details of equivalent tyres that are currently available.

Alternatively your local approved retailer would be able to assist further.

Thanks, Becci
Thanks Becci,
It would be good if you can get an answer from Continental , they do say on their own website that they are currently liasing with several manufactures for type approval for the 860 S and I was hoping Jaguar was one of those manufacturers.

Thanks
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 am

mik wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm
I mentioned before that 275/40/22 are within thd recommended range for the oem 22" rims.

I ordered a set of 275s at the weekend. Pirelli's in this size are £400 a set cheaper than 265's (!) but I know the Vredstein Wintrac are excellent so saw no reason not to save a further £100 and go for them instead.

camskill link
Mik - you're saying you can fit a set of 275 width tyres to 265 rims? Are you sure?? Or have I misunderstood?
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:04 am

So looking into this more, there does seem to be some flexibility here. However, regarding the fitment of 275s, I came across two sites of relevance:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/jaguar/f-pace/2017/ shows that the 22" wheels are 9".
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/char ... size-chart shows that for 9" wheel, 265 are the biggest that can be fitted.

That said, I'm wondering whether the first site is wrong, and whether the wheels are in fact 9.5"? Even so, 275 is right at the maximum and not sure I would want to go there?
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

mik

Post by mik » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:26 am

Matteus F-Pace wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 am
mik wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 pm

camskill link
Mik - you're saying you can fit a set of 275 width tyres to 265 rims? Are you sure?? Or have I misunderstood?
Yes. Discussed previously here , with a couple of links. It is a 9” rim, and a 275/40/22 is the widest tyre you can fit.

Andy mentions on page3 that he fitted this size, but on the rear only. I would not advocate that on a 4wd car, (and would not mix summer and winter tyres either) but it does confirm that they will fit.

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:36 pm

Thanks Mik - tyre size calculator link that I added above suggests that 265 is the biggest for 9", but there you go. Your call, but I'm not sure I'd go to the maximum on something you are relying on at 70mph and above!
Different size back vs front tyres is not a problem on a 4 wheel drive - many have this, the new F-Pace SVR (when it finally comes) being one of them. Correct on winter/summer split though - that would be a quick way to death!

mik

Post by mik » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi Matt,

The link you posted is pretty basic in its info - doesn’t take account of sidewall height for example. Better to look at permissible rim widths for the specific tyre size. The range of widths quoted is the permitted range - ie completely safe up to the speed rating if the tyre :)

And different sizes front to back is not necessarily an issue - I meant I would not run different sizes front and back if the car wasn’t designed (and ESP etc calibrated) accordingly.

Return to “Jaguar Customer Relations”