Winter Tyres

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
June16

Winter Tyres

Post by June16 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi
I am, as I guess many others will be, looking for winter tyres shortly.
I have 255/55/R19 tyres fitted.

I’ve looked at the OE recommendation in the manual , which shows the same tyres as listed in topix
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/documen ... c/G1879446

I noticed that the MY18 and MY19 OE winter tyre recommendation list contain tyres that have now been superceeded in some cases with later models by the manufacturers.
In effect the:
Continental TS 850p is now superceeded by the TS 860 S
Will the OE recommended tyres be updated to reflect , the manufacturers changes?

Secondly in this tyre size will JLR now recommend an all weather tyre, such as the
Michelin CrossClimate SUV. 255/55 R19 111 W XL

It’s seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends , new products released and availability.

Thanks
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Smitten

Re: Winter Tyres

Post by Smitten » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Additional to this I am receiving conflicting information about winter tyres on 22" wheels. The manual does not list any approved winter tyre fitment for 22" wheels and indicates that "Use of dedicated winter tyres may require a change of wheel size, depending on the original choice of wheel. All four wheels must be changed." Yet, a quick search online reveals several sites selling Pirelli Scorpion Winter 265/40 R22 106W XL, J, LR - I assume the J, LR means Jaguar Land Rover? There is a premium charge for these tyres marked J, LR. My local dealer was also happy to supply and fit 22" winter tyres. Here is the link:

https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/product/R- ... ountry=GUK

Has Jaguar approved/homogolated any winter tyre for 22" wheels or is the official recommendation still to change all four wheels for winter to 20" or 19" and buy approved tyres in those rim sizes? If none are approved how is it possible for Pirelli to market a tyre marked "J, LR"?

As with June 16 above - I would like a straight answer soon so I can plan accordingly.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Those are pricey £335, double the cost of 19" in the same pattern. You could get rims as well for the same cost and save swapping tyres on rims twice a year.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 pm
Those are pricey £335, double the cost of 19" in the same pattern. You could get rims as well for the same cost and save swapping tyres on rims twice a year.
Appreciate smaller wheels and tyres are cheaper. However, I would like clarification as to why you can buy a tyre marked as Jaguar specific by Pirelli but it doesn't appear to be homogolated by Jaguar. Or is it just that guidance is not being updated by JLR? Hopefully Jaguar are reading this thread.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:38 pm

Quite confusing, but I would think the Jaguar certified tyre is just a ploy to make you buy into the winter tyre/wheel swap schemes.

It would make sense that 22in tyress that are jlr compatible are probably fit for jaguar.
I woukd also think that any tyre that porsche/lexus are using are also compatible, so something like michelin lattitude hp might also be suitable for the more performant fpaces

Personally, I reckon Ill be putting on cross climates or even vredestiens, which seems to get better reviews than anything pirelli
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am

As June16 mentioned Blucat the key point is that "It’s seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends, new products released and availability" and it would be great to know the up-to-date guidance from Jaguar.

June16

Post by June16 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am

Smitten wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am
As June16 mentioned Blucat the key point is that "It’s seems tyres are not being updated or tested to reflect current market trends, new products released and availability" and it would be great to know the up-to-date guidance from Jaguar.
Correct, That’s why I posted this in the CRC section and not on the general tyre thread that already exists for discussions about same.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 pm

June16 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am
Smitten wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am
Correct, That’s why I posted this in the CRC section and not on the general tyre thread that already exists for discussions about same.
Ok sure.
Tbh, I wasnt even aware that Jaguar have their own rated/approved tyres, I only thought Porsche and BMW did that.
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

Katoaristera

Post by Katoaristera » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 am

I think I will put Bridgestone Blizzak :

PNEUS.JPG

PORTFOLIO MY18 CUP COVER V6D, Carpathian grey, Espresso+SatinAsh, 20"VenomBlack, BlackPack+Ad.Dyn.+Adv.ParkAss.Surr.Camera, 10/4 way Lumb.Clima front+HeatedReclin.RearSeats, SlidingPano, Gest.Tailg., ICTP, Detach.TowBar, 19" spare wheel, 4G SIM

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:29 pm

June16, I have fitted Vredestein QUATRAC 5 All Season tyres (they are also Winter rated with the 3 peaks, etc. emblem) on my 19inch rims when the Pirelli tyre wore out during lasr winter. I would have preferred the Michelin SUVs that you ask about but last year they were not available in size 255/55/19 W XL, only in smaller sizes. With my last two Jaguars I have swapped the Pirelli tyres for Michelins and have found the ride and road holding has be much better.

The Vredesteins have worked fine and in the snow last winter (in Shropshire not the Alps) they were a huge improvement and no issues through the summer.

Ref. tyres marked as JLR, (or other makes) that just means they are recommended for at least one model not necessarily all models produced by them.
Ex 2016, MY17 - 2.0 D, Portfolio - Dec 2018 RR Velar D300 HSE R-Dynamic

Return to “Jaguar Customer Relations”