Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Just received the car yesterday and with extensive oxide parts

22K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Hydrajaws 
#1 ·
Hello,

I collected my Jaguar F pace yesterday, and after taking a look in the parts like the exhaust system I see areas with rust of around 4 cm of diametre each.
Is a surprise to receive the car new and have all this rust that will erode all the exhaust system and other parts near it.

I assume this will be covered under warranty ? without problems ?

Thanks for the help.

Salvador

#2 ·
Probably worth pointing out to your dealer now, if you haven't already, to register the defect otherwise they will probably try and fob you off as normal degradation over time if it ever becomes an issue.

#3 ·
They are weld marks, there is oxidation from the process, its looks awful but you shouldn't get rust as such, just discoloration on the welds

It will deteriorate eventually, but very slowly and over a very long time

What will rust though are the mild steel brackets/supports that have been welded to the exhaust system at various points along its length

They hook into rubber supports at their cold end

We've had that on our Evoque exhaust - I used a rust killer and high temperature paint on the brackets at their hot end where they are welded onto the exhaust.

Four years in (and one year out of warranty) everything is still fine with them

You could also use high temperature paint (exhaust paint) if you want to mask the marks that you are describing, plus it will afford some additional protection. Beware of invalidating your warranty though, and be careful with overspray.

Hope that's helpful - obviously if it does rust then get the dealer to sort it as that will potentially be a very expensive exercise for them considering the tech that's attached to the modern exhaust system

As an aside, I've just had four locking wheel nuts replaced on the F Pace after just six months, all showing signs of rust even though they are chrome plated (or nickel plated and chrome passed)

The nuts would have easily passed any goods inwards inspection before rusting from use out here in the real world

The dealer said they had replaced loads of them in the last six months, so someone somewhere made a bad (and costly) decision, probably on the pretext of saving money.

Comical really, just not all that funny.

Not a mark on any of the locking wheel nuts on our four year old Evoque - so hopefully there is an age old lesson in there somewhere for JLR purchasing(!)

#7 ·
Good grief no - that's not right, and not just the shoes (!)

Sorry, from your initial description it sounded like the joints/welds - your pictures paint a thousand words, but the last word for the dealer that thinks that lot is Ok is 'off'

What were they thinking?!%

#8 ·
I would say that the state of your new car is definately not acceptable. Having looked at your pictures I inspected the underside of my almost 2 month old F Pace and not a sign of oxidisation anywhere. Suggest that you get your dealer to inspect the car with you present and any pictures you have taken you forward to Amellia Mc Intosh at Jaguar Customer Relations.

#10 ·
As you can see, I have a similar issue - dealer confirmed the exhaust will be replaced under warranty, and said that another customer has the exact same problem. My car is 8 months old.

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Bumper Nickel Rim

Attachments

#12 ·
Have you got an update on this matter? Did you raise it with the dealer or JLR?

#15 ·
As you got the car on April the 22 your still within the 30 day reject, tell them that unless all areas of rust are resolved you will reject the car and either have a replacement or a full refund.

They will sort the issue then for sure. ;)

Who's the dealer by chance?

#17 ·
Hello,

My local retailer in Gran Canaria told me just now they have replaced the brakes because they were rusty and were affecting the car ability to stop but JLR did not allowed to change or repair the exhaust system.

Right now i'm lost !!, I have PM customer relations but no answer from then until now.

From my point of view is incredible, new car that looks under it like a 10 year old one.

Absolutely dissapointed for my first Jarguar car.

#19 ·
It has been a long journey until having the cat here, I bought it as tax free and it has been a long way until having it legal, I had to take care of everystep, I 've been told that the rust is superficial and seems like it can be repaired, but do not understand until now the JLR position. They just say is external rust so is not their problem even if is present during the delivery... simply incredible.

#23 ·
Hello,

Yesterday I received a call from the local retailer telling me to take the F Pace to them, JLR aprroved to repair the exhaust system so the part is about to arrive, next wednesday they will solve the issue by replacing the whole part.

After a few weeks JLR solve the issue so is justice to say thanks to those inside the company who helped in anyway and to those in this forum for your support.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!

#24 ·
^ That's very good to hear Salva, I'm really glad they have decided to do the right thing. It simply didn't make any sense when they originally said it wasn't covered under the warranty when the car was delivered to you like that. Maybe they are sensitive to the power of social media shaming after all... very nice touch that you have thanked them publicly too, even after all the stress you've been through . . . onwards and upwards from now on :)

#25 ·
They do look at this site so perhaps the information provided to you made them do something behind the scenes, were never know but at least your issues have been resolved which is good news.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.