Rear Boot Door And Front Tyres Jumping

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
corriescar66

Re: Rear Boot Door And Front Tyres Jumping

Post by corriescar66 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:31 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:We are discussing the Ackermann effect here that is present on a great many cars, not the diff issue that you've had diagosed.
Oops, I may have been discussing the Ackerman effect, which is slightly different & involves dropping German spellings at inopportune moments! :lol: (Do I need a semi-colon too?)

When I get mine back & on the next dry opportunity, I might look at the camber etc on full lock & see what gives.... The XF loaner does it slightly and it is on equally low profile tyres. It's just something new to me.... Never liked being in the dark...

Like the blind man (or Mann), in the dark room, looking for the black cat........ that isn't there!!
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:00 am

^ :lol: :lol:

Interesting though your previous comment on turning circle. The evoque had a fantastic turning circle and even though I could get a slight judder on full lock, that was at a much tighter turning radius that the FP, which will judder on even half lock some times. Still, not an issue for me now I understand what it is. Much much less pronounced than our poor Merc friends.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

XERoy

Post by XERoy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:01 am

I have had a few 4wd cars (Honda / suzuki / land-rover / merc) and have had this feeling of 1 tyre fighting for grip, and slipping (usually on full lock) , it appears to be a characteristic of 4wd cars, but I must admit I have not noticed it on my fp. I am only 500 or so miles into ownership though.

Roy
2.0d R Sport 4WD, Ultimate Black, 22inch Turbines, Jet interior with oyster stitching, Privacy glass, Black pack, ear to ear grin :D

typolee

Post by typolee » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:25 am

I wasn't meaning to upset anyone on here I was simply trying to distinguish whether what I was experiencing with the noise and judder was what others were experiencing and whether its potentially more serious an issue for some f pace owners.

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 am

Those MB GLC owners don't just have better quality interiors than our Jaguars.....

.... they also do the whole complaints and reject thing at a completely new level. We need to up our game people, our threads are Boy Scout compared to MB owners :roll:

https://www.mercedescrabbing.org/2017/0 ... ng-waiver/

All in all, it's clear that none of the big, premium manufacturers are much different when an issue erupts.

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

typolee

Post by typolee » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:55 am

Well well.

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:05 am

Well well well
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:52 pm

I think that the waiver could end up being another hot potato in its own right!

I would expect that the majority of those asked to sign the waiver are not competent to judge whether the issue does or doesn't compromise safety and probably only a competent engineer or similar could.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

typolee

Post by typolee » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:17 pm

I think the issue is more about the driveability of the vehicle i.e. its not comfortable and isn't what you would expect from a premium SUV regardless of whether its a 'side effect' of the sports car handling. I have driven many sports cars including TT's, Porsches etc and none suffer as much as this. Yes the odd jump or skip but not hindering you pulling away out of junctions!! Thats a safety issue in my eyes.

blackjagmike

Post by blackjagmike » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:49 am

typolee wrote:I think the issue is more about the driveability of the vehicle i.e. its not comfortable and isn't what you would expect from a premium SUV regardless of whether its a 'side effect' of the sports car handling. I have driven many sports cars including TT's, Porsches etc and none suffer as much as this. Yes the odd jump or skip but not hindering you pulling away out of junctions!! Thats a safety issue in my eyes.
Without wishing to remind you of what others have said but you almost certainly have a different mechanical issue. Tyre scrubbing happens because of the car set up. It is independent of car manufacturer but dependent on steering geometry. It is more pronounced on cold days and on full lock and it is reduced or totally eliminated as in my case by adding winter tyres. The drive/handling of the car is phenomenal and I am saying that as a current owner of a TT and a Porsche. My Porsche suffers more tyre scrubbing in winter reversing at low speed on 1st hard lock turn off the drive. You Sir have a mechanical issue because I can drive in near silence in towns or on motorways and I can scare the bejesus out of myself and any passengers on twisty A roads because the car seems to defy physics at times. Yes the Audi and Porsche scream down these same roads but you kind of expect their handling to work due to the low centre of gravity.

I hope you get some resolution to your issue as it seems a shame you are not getting the same smiles / mile as me

All the best

Mike
3.0D Ultimate black w/black pack, black 20" Blades 14w Jet Memory Seats, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, ITCP, AdSR etc basically lots of black stuff and toys!!

Return to “Jaguar Customer Relations”