Underbody Rust

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
Craigann B

Underbody Rust

Post by Craigann B » Sun May 26, 2019 7:01 pm

I was looking at previous notes about picking up new cars with rust on exhausts etc.
I thought I had nothing else to do but slide under my 2 year old vehicle and take nice photos, but I got a shock of the condition underneath. There is no underbody protection applied after production. They have used mild steel bolts all over, even on the stainless steel exhaust clamps. The rear cross member has flaking rust patches.

My previous vehicles were two VW Touareg’s and I was under them fitting side steps they were totally sealed and had no visual surface rust.

Is this penny pinching by Jaguar to get the model into production thinking the aluminium body will not rust but what about the add on bits of mild steel. ?

My vehicle is going in to the dealership tomorrow for ongoing (5th time) repairs to internal door creaking and groaning that started after all the keyless access door handles were replaced last year.
I will bring up the rust problem with them and see what I’m fobbed off with. !

This has changed my mind on how long I’m going to keep it and any future F-Pace purchase.
I love the looks, speed, road holding and the magic fuel mileage but to have it rotting underneath is a concern.
How bad are the original 2016 models.

AB95DB4E-13A3-4C3D-8683-1D8E86BE4E1A.jpeg

E66409CB-5EB9-45F8-AA3D-CFC2391E5AF6.jpeg

B045D99B-213E-47F6-8EE4-51E13E6DACAE.jpeg

MY17. F-Pace 3.0d S Italian Racing Red with Black Pack, Cold Pack, Blind Spot, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Cup Holder Cover, Panoramic Roof.

Jagfpacejk

Re: Underbody Rust

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun May 26, 2019 11:26 pm

This is not the first thread having the same issues, even newer cars have rust issues, it seems a shame small things have been missed like decent underbody protection.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

AshleyR

Post by AshleyR » Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 am

Having checked, I can’t detect any of these rusty points on my now ‘near perfect’ 35,000 mile example; must be one of the lucky ones!

First Edition, (not so unique) Caesium Blue, April 2016

big jon

Post by big jon » Mon May 27, 2019 3:33 pm

mine is a sept 2016 model, no sign of any rust as in pictures above.
R sport, AWD Auto, White, black pack,, dynamics pack, panoramic roof, ICTP 380, folding mirrors,20"black venoms and much more

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon May 27, 2019 11:37 pm

Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Wed May 29, 2019 1:37 am

Hi,

Looking at pictures i assume you have been driving in winter when salt spreading is on roads that might be one of the reasons.
Myself I have not yet found a single car wash to wash undercarriage of car after winter driving.
I don't know how it works these sort of undercarriage cleaning is a must at least after winter salt spreading on roads. As for the protection bit I have not yet seen any car or manufacturer who applies any protection on exhaust or nut and bolts, also if you live near to sea side then you can't do anything about it just live with it or change car frequently. Salt and sea side locations are not good friends no matter how much you invest to protect it. That's my personal experience and in the end I just gave up.

One thing I have noticed our f pace is not shielded the way German cars are underneath.

German cars are completely shielded from front to back. F pace is like a Japanese car partially shielded.

Thanks.
MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

CS@Jaguar

Post by CS@Jaguar » Wed May 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Craigann B wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:01 pm
I was looking at previous notes about picking up new cars with rust on exhausts etc.
I thought I had nothing else to do but slide under my 2 year old vehicle and take nice photos, but I got a shock of the condition underneath. There is no underbody protection applied after production. They have used mild steel bolts all over, even on the stainless steel exhaust clamps. The rear cross member has flaking rust patches.

My previous vehicles were two VW Touareg’s and I was under them fitting side steps they were totally sealed and had no visual surface rust.

Is this penny pinching by Jaguar to get the model into production thinking the aluminium body will not rust but what about the add on bits of mild steel. ?

My vehicle is going in to the dealership tomorrow for ongoing (5th time) repairs to internal door creaking and groaning that started after all the keyless access door handles were replaced last year.
I will bring up the rust problem with them and see what I’m fobbed off with. !

This has changed my mind on how long I’m going to keep it and any future F-Pace purchase.
I love the looks, speed, road holding and the magic fuel mileage but to have it rotting underneath is a concern.
How bad are the original 2016 models.
Good Afternoon Craigann B

Thank you for your post.

I am concerned to learn of your comments. However, I can confirm that the vehicle body goes through several dips to apply protection prior to being built.

I would advise that if rust is present on the vehicle then it needs to be investigated by your local retailer and repaired as required.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

Craigann B

Post by Craigann B » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm

Dan
I have been through the factory at Solihull. Only the body is dipped. The rust is on the mild steel cross members and mild steel nuts and bolts used.
MY17. F-Pace 3.0d S Italian Racing Red with Black Pack, Cold Pack, Blind Spot, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, Cup Holder Cover, Panoramic Roof.

CS@Jaguar

Post by CS@Jaguar » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 am

Craigann B wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm
Dan
I have been through the factory at Solihull. Only the body is dipped. The rust is on the mild steel cross members and mild steel nuts and bolts used.
Good Morning Craigann B

Thank you for your post, and the update.

At this point I would advise that you visit your local Approved Retailer to ensure that a full inspection on the extent of the rust can be carried out by a technician.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Dan - Jaguar UK

Return to “Jaguar Customer Relations”