All Season Tyre choice

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Smitten

Re: All Season Tyre choice

Post by Smitten » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Jim wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:03 am
My understanding is that it is not necessary to buy the same brand but owners/drivers are advised to get tyres of the same specification as those fitted by the manufacturer. This is for a number of reasons:

1. You need to ensure the tyres are legal for the vehicle - speed rating, load rating, fit, etc. I.e. if the speed or load rating are below what the car requires then it should be an MOT fail, I.e. H rated tyres (130 mph) on a car capable of 150 mph, irrespective of what speed you normally drive at.

2. The car's balance and stability are affected by changes in the stiffness and flexibility of the tyres and those with the same rating should be similar across manufacturers. This is why it is recommended that owners follow the recommendation of the manufacturer in terms of the full tyre specification. For my 19" wheels JLR recommend 255 55 R19 111 W tyres.

A difference would be between summer and pure winter tyres where it is not uncommon for a lower speed rating to be used than that recommended for summer use. I'm guessing this may be due to the lower stiffness in the tyre walls which presumably would help with grip, I.e. it is also not uncommon to slightly under inflate tyres in snow or ice conditions to improve traction.

I also lived in Northern Germany for 11 years, a few decades ago.

I am definitely not an automotive engineer or expert and the above is thanks to Google, so may also be BS :D
Thanks Jim and Google! Seems to make sense. I wonder what Jaguar recommend on the 22" rims in markets where Alpine tyres are obligatory (presume there are some) in winter? Or perhaps they only recommend 20" rims in those markets?
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

June16

Post by June16 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:17 pm

Agreed Jim
I have emailed Michelin and asked if they are to produce the cross climate suv in 255/55/19 111W.
I'll update if I hear back.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Jim

Post by Jim » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:52 pm

June16 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 pm
What I find is strange though is the Michelin Latitude Tour HP according to Michelin is a summer tyre
But has homolgation to Landrover.

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michel ... de-tour-hp
This is my point exactly, the all season tyres listed for the Velar are all summer tyres according to the manufactuers, yet are JLR recommended all season tyres for some of their vehicles, just not the F-Pace.

I have had good experiences of Michelin tyres, though they were not the recommended brand for my XJ and XF, they did out perform and felt far more stable than the recommeded Perellis. I have no issues with my current Perelli summer tyres on the F-Pace, I would just like to fit all season tyres when I replace them.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

June16

Post by June16 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:20 am

Jim
The same Michelin tyre is rated all season in Canada (same tread pattern too)
http://www.michelin.ca/CA/en/tires/prod ... ur-hp.html
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

June16

Post by June16 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:31 am

Update from Michelin
The cross climate is not planned for 255/55/19. 111

So I've now asked them if the latitude tour is all season as in Canada or summer as in uk .

Good job my car arrives in March I'll have till next September to decide 😀

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:56 am

You would expect that all season in Canada would have far more trying conditions than those experienced in most areas of the UK. So I would expect that an all season tyre in the UK may not be the sufficiently adaptable in Canada and is what I find confusing where tyres are rated all season in the US and Canada and summer only in the UK (this does not just affect Michelin but also Continental and Goodyear).

I wonder if 'all season' has a different meaning there than here in Europe, thouh one would expect the clue to be in the name! :lol:
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm

I have heard back from JLR CS and they say they do not have an All Season recommendation for the Portfolio standard wheels in the UK.

tonythehoolet

Post by tonythehoolet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:55 pm
I have heard back from JLR CS and they say they do not have an All Season recommendation for the Portfolio standard wheels in the UK.
I've been following this thread with interest Jim as have also been thinking of changing my tyres to all season when they are next due to be replaced; the recent snow reminded me that the standard tyres are not great on snow/ice. Thanks for your tenacity in following up and sharing where you got to, even if it is disappointing that JLR won't get off the fence with a recommendation.
AWD Auto Portfolio in dark sapphire blue, sliding roof, light oyster leather, driver memory pack, ICTP, space saver spare, cupholder cover and Kenolon ceramic shield paint protection.

Jagcop

Post by Jagcop » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 am

I have been using the Vredestein this winter. Good on ice but no snow in Devon yet this winter. Tyre is quiet and responsive with a nice feel to the steering.

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am

Jagcop wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:52 am
I have been using the Vredestein this winter. Good on ice but no snow in Devon yet this winter. Tyre is quiet and responsive with a nice feel to the steering.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm probably going to be getting them fitted next month as since I first looked into replacing them I realised my existing tyres were not as warn as I thought and I've also not done many miles as I've been off sick and not travelling with one of the varieties of flu, for the first time in a couple of decades.

Jim

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”