SIM cards

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Mr P

Re: SIM cards

Post by Mr P » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 am

I have the same dilemma, just ordered a 3 sim from my memory and by all accounts will need to return it (least i haven't used it)
If anyone know of an alternative that would be great, I too have seen the EE plan but it's twice the price.
Could you use an old phone as a hotspot with the 3 sim?

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

Mr P wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 am
I have the same dilemma, just ordered a 3 sim from my memory and by all accounts will need to return it (least i haven't used it)
If anyone know of an alternative that would be great, I too have seen the EE plan but it's twice the price.
Could you use an old phone as a hotspot with the 3 sim?
That's what I'll be trying, if/when mine stops working. Keep the old phone in the car as a permanent hotspot.
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; cooled glovebox; reclining rear seats

balders

Post by balders » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Well that's really annoying! Mine was still working this morning, but it sounds like it may only be a matter of time.

I see a lot of the reviews on Amazon are from customers using them in-car, so 3 are likely to get a lot of heat over this ...

Another option to using an old mobile is a Mobile Hotspot/Wifi device - there's a Huawei one on Amazon for around £30, and the 3 sim blurb says it can be used in any mobile wifi device. It's quite small and has a usb port for power, so should run off the car's power (hopefully without draining the batter while parked up). Still a hassle though :(

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike.

Balders.

June16

Post by June16 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm

Mine is still working .....fingers crossed.

I wonder was it when you used the Internet to browse that killed it, just wondering how did they detect the EMEI number in your car. Surely they don’t check it every time it connects ??

And em how can they change the configuration of the card /SIM once it’s in use?

Just curious how this can be changed (mid contract) to give the unsupported device errors, unless the card is restricted or the receiving server is actively blocking your internet connection.

In any case the card says “any mobile Wi-fi device” which a car is.

If mine stops I’ll be requesting a refund too whether it’s used or not, you enter into a contract with them , which they have breached without notice.

Will be interesting if anyone else’s stops.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Just went out for a short trip, I am using a three data sim but it wasn't working. It could have been the area as it has been more erratic recently but I will test it properly on the way home tonight. Fingers cross I've not been caught out have just changed it. This seems all rather fussy to just get traffic.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

DazzaDCFC

Post by DazzaDCFC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 am

I have the three monthly sim from black friday (£20 p/m unlimited data) and that still currently works. Will keep an eye on it. I have however had a look in the terms and conditions of my monthly agreement AND the PAYG agreement, and nowhere does it say you can't use it in a car.

If it stops working for me then I will definitely argue the fact, as I will have no need for it. Added to the fact that I spoke to customer services before I took the contract out to check it would work in my car, and they said it would work in all devices.

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 am

RDB1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:15 pm
Just went out for a short trip, I am using a three data sim but it wasn't working. It could have been the area as it has been more erratic recently but I will test it properly on the way home tonight. Fingers cross I've not been caught out have just changed it. This seems all rather fussy to just get traffic.
So I thought all was well, went home last night and it appeared normal and again this morning. However although the 4G notification is showing none of the Apps or traffic are there. I'm still not convinced its been switched off so will give it more time however I'm thinking of turning on the Hotspot feature from my mobile and connecting the car to it and see what difference it makes. If it works it may be a good permanent solution as I've spent too much time fiddling with this system and trying to get stability. Alternatively will discuss with the dealer and see if I can get hold of the new jaguar approved Sim card.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:57 am

Mine is stilling working as before (I.e. intermittently because the ICTP is crap). No sign of issues on other jLR forums either where lots of people use them. Not sure why Three would be bothered about people using it in cars, maybe the roaming causes an issue.

Anyway let’s see what happens, annoying though as I will need to buy another in a couple of weeks and Sod’s law says it will stop working just after that...
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 pm

I have three SIM and it worked perfectly roaming across France, Belgium, Holland and Germany over Christmas. Have had occasional no service in the UK but service is poor where the car is parked and it seems like if it doesn't get a signal immediately on starting it can be a while until it picks up another cell. Suspect this is a car related software issue or a loose/poor SIM connection in the car somewhere.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 pm

All,

So Three customer services person explicitly said to me that the issue is that the Mobile Broadband (which is effectively what these data only sims are) are not supported in cars and that three limit the function by the IMEI of the device that it is in. Obviously as part of my hotel search and subsequent trip advisor reviews whihc i did via the ICTP and Sat Nav (which was really good by the way) must have flagged some sort of data usage. He (3 advisor) also mentioned a system upgrade on their side that effectively closed this loop-hole.

Putting the same 3 SIM into my phone or iPAD resulted in it working straight away. That got me thinking it was possibly the car, so I took my hone (02) sim and dipped it into the car, and it worked immediately, so clearly not the card SIM reader/slot.

As I have Plusnet broadband, I quickly ordered a Plusnet SIM (2GB/month for £6) on a 30 day rolling contract (so can cancel if required) and that SIM arrived today and it is working absolutely fine.

Leads me to (albeit dubiously) believe that the issue is on the 3 side and they are somehow limiting the device the sim will work in (or in the very least have blocked the car IMEI on their side.

They did say that I could try and get another 3 SIM and it may work until the system does something again. To be honest I got so fed up with them, and they weren't really that helpful, even when I mentioned that I would be posting it on this forum where the majority of owners use 3 SIMS and that would be pretty negative publicity/business for them, they didn't seem to particularly care.

I don't know enough about mobile telephony and data to say for sure if they can limit service by device type based on IMEI or not, and how they determine the device type from the IMEI, however if it is anything like the MAC address on a network interface, you can determine the manufacturer from the MAC.

Anyway, mine is now working, and as it is an actual telephone sim (so can (if required) receive calls and messages - not that it will in the car) I'm guessing that it will function in any device - the 3 guy did specifically mention to get a phone sim rather than a mobile broadband one !

I'm up and running now, and will be steering well clear of 3 for the foreseeable future thanks to their distinct lack of customer care or actually giving a monkeys !

M.
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”