SIM cards

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
JOCK55

Re: SIM cards

Post by JOCK55 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am

Although probably of little comfort to you, it seems someone in JLR has been listening for a change. For new MY19 F-Paces (and probably other models), they have introduced the following:

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f ... ology.html

KEEPING YOU CONNECTED ON THE ROAD
"Stay connected while on the move. Every new Jaguar F-PACE comes equipped with a 500MB SIM card at no additional cost as part of our Essential data plan. With 500MB of data per month free of charge for 3 years, you’ll be better connected, receiving live traffic updates and more. If you find you want more data for additional in-car streaming and WiFi hotspot usage, we have data top-up plans available. To find out more consult your local Retailer".

The SIM is apparently provided by a Company called Ubigi, owned by the French company Transatel. Additional data can be purchased if required. From what I understand the additional data costs are as follows:
500MB Valid for 1 day is £2.99
3GB Valid for 30 days is £19.99
12GB Valid for 6 months is £79.99 (sounds a lot less than £80.00!!!)

A little pricey compared to some of the more established Network Providers, but there's a price to pay for convenience!

So many of your complaints ARE being addressed for NEW vehicles, it remains to be seen what happens with existing vehicles.

Jock
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

Pieface21

Post by Pieface21 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:03 pm

JOCK55 - FYI: The site link you refer to above is bringing up an ......'ERROR 404' message.

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:15 pm

Try this link!

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f ... ology.html

It's still there and unadulterated!!! Text as per my previous post.

Just in case the link fails again it is in the https://www. jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/f-pace/features/in-car-technology.html page. Cut and paste this into your browser and delete the space between the (www.) and jaguar.co.uk.

Jock
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Right, so now I have a conundrum. Had a 3 12 month/12GB SIM that I put in when I took delivery of the car in November 2017, and it worked perfectly for 12 months. Naturally in the middle of November last year (2018) it stopped working as the 12 months was up. I purchased a new 3 SIM, 24 month/24GB, and it has been working fine until now.

It was working on Saturday as we were travelling through France and used it to look for hotels and even received the Trip Advisor reviews etc, alongside weather updates etc.

Then sometime during the journey yesterday it stopped, and the signal strength symbol changed to a circle with a line though. Looking at the Mobile Data settings under "Connectivity" it says "SIM not supported". I tried removing and re-inserting the SIM, but same result.

I then removed the SIMm and inserted it into my iPAD, and lo and behold, connectivity. Re-insert back in car, nothing. Then I tried the SIM from my mobile phone (which is an O2 sim) in the car, and it fires up and connects without an issue.

So now I am in the predicament where if I mention to 3 that the SIM works in another device but not the car they will no doubt say it is an issue with the car, and if I say to Jag that the 3 SIM doesn't work but the O2 SIM does work, they will say it is an issue with the SIM.

The most frustrating thing is that is was working fine up until about 24 hours ago, and there is still about 22 months left (expires on 25/11/2020) and over 23GB still to use !

HELP !

Regards,
Mike
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Mike,

Are you still outside the UK? I ask as the international roaming may not be turned on with 3 SIMs as they typically default to it being off (or at least mine have). May be worth giving 3 a call to confirm.
Ex 2016, MY17 - 2.0 D, Portfolio - Dec 2018 RR Velar D300 HSE R-Dynamic

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Jim wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm
Mike,

Are you still outside the UK? I ask as the international roaming may not be turned on with 3 SIMs as they typically default to it being off (or at least mine have). May be worth giving 3 a call to confirm.
Back in the UK Jim. It has been working fine (in the UK) since the replacement SIM was installed last November, and worked perfectly in France right up until some time on Sunday midday, having searched for hotels online on the Saturday evening, and ut returning not only hotel details (including addresses and telephone numbers, but also Trip Advisor ratings. The weather and news functions were also working,

At some point yesterday it dropped and has since shown SIM not supported under the Media option in Connectivity settings. I have been to 3 and had a replacement SIM, with no change, still shows SIM not supported, yet both sims work in other devices including my iPAD 2 and iPhone 7 as well as a Galaxy tab in the 3 shop.

My O2 sim is also working in the car without issue, so I don't know fi it is something specific to 3 mobile broadband sims one not. I checked the my three account, and the SIM was set got international roaming (else I expect it would not have worked in France).

I'm at a bit of a loss as I can see 3 saying (as they did in the shop) that as it works in other devices there is no issue, and the fault is with the car. And Jaguar (I assume) will say that as another (the O2) sim works in the car, the fault must be with the 3 SIM, so I'll be left in limbo with a £45 SIM that is rendered useless, and I will have to change to an alternate carrier.

M.
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Apologies if an obvious question but was the roaming in the connectivity menu enabled - under connectivity then mobile data. I guess it must be if the o2 card worked.
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Indeed, roaming for everything is enabled and always has been. It was working fine all last week and up to Saturday evening when I actively used it to search online for a hotel. It stopped at some point on Sunday.

So calls to the 3 technical support and a visit to the 3 shop resulted in nothing more than a replacement sim, which returned exactly the same outcome, "SIM not supported"

I then started a chat session with 3 complaints teams and basically they have said the following:

"Because the car is not a mobile broadband supported device they have disabled it. it will only work on supported mobile broadband devices (tablets, iPads etc). Apparently they determine this by the IMEI number of the device the sim is in. A recent system upgrade has resulted in them disabling all non supported devices."

So, all of you with 3G PAYG data sims, expect them to stop working over the coming days/weeks/months. I'll be mightily annoyed if it's only myself that is affected by this.

Looks like I need to shop around for an alternative pay monthly data sim.

Regards,
Mike

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:09 pm

It will be a massive PITA if that’s what they do across the board. My SIM expires end of Jan and so have been looking around. My memory have an EE 12gb data sim for £27 but the data only lasts 6 months.
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:15 pm

Well, after ages on a chat and subsequently on a call (thankfully those numpties called me) they are not willing to do anything. Basically, it was a system glitch that let me (and us I presume) use mobile broadband sims in our cars, and now with a system upgrade, it has recognised that the car IMEI number is not a mobile broadband device (I tried arguing that it was as it provided internet connectivity for browsing, searching, wi-fi hotspot etc, but that fell on deaf/stupid ears).

They are also now refusing to offer a refund for a service that they no longer provide (they having disabled it) under the claim that they never stated that they supported use in cars ..... by this time I was bored and simply said I'd write to the ombudsman and asked to speak to a supervisor......again deaf ears !

So, I am sending it back to Amazon for a refund as "doesn't work" and will look into a monthly PAYG data/phone sim (apparently the phone sims function differently to the mobile broadband ones and will be accepted in any devices - according to the 3 "expert"

I have also asked the dealer what SIM's/deals Jaguar recommend to deliver the required functionality...not holding out much hope on that front !

Regards,
Mike

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”