SIM cards

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Doug

Re: SIM cards

Post by Doug » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Jim wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:01 pm
Roaming doesn't work for UK SIMs used in the UK, the networks don't allow it. If they did, when you were in the sticks where say there was only O2 coverage and you had a Voda SIM it would allow you to connect for any type of call and data not just to use the emergency number. For this reason field engineers with some companies have phones that take 2 SIMs and if their 'native' SIM doesn't work they have an Isle of Man SIM fitted in the second slot which will then roam onto any of the UK networks that are available at the location.
Thanks Jim

Myth Busted
F pace R sport 2d auto. Ammonite grey. Black pack. 20" black venoms. Fixed panoramic roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w sound. 19" space saver spare. Rear view camera. Cup holder gloss cover + dog guard

sidboggle

Post by sidboggle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned as this is quite a long thread but you need to be a bit careful using the sim as a WiFi hotspot if you have people sitting in the car with ipads, phones etc. with auto updates enabled. As far as any device is concerned this is a regular WiFi hotspot so it will go ahead and just download stuff that it would not normally do when the device knows it is on cellular.

So in an extreme case I could get in the car with my wife and kids on the way to holiday, a new update turns up for "Full Throttle Remastered" (3.9GB) and each of our devices will begin to download. That's 12GB used up before we arrive at Fleet Services :D

Just something to bear in mind as I have been caught out by this using MiFi devices abroad before. If you are going to use a hotspot like this ensure that auto updates are off on any connected devices.
25t AWD R-Sport, Firenze red, 19" wheels, privacy glass, ebony & pimento leather, Navigation Pro, panoramic non-opening roof, folding mirrors, 10 way seats, configurable ambient lighting, rear cam.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Excellent point Sid. Haven't seen that mentioned before so well spotted.

PS. I really hope your surname is Boggle. Fantastic!
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

sidboggle

Post by sidboggle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:03 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm
Excellent point Sid. Haven't seen that mentioned before so well spotted.

PS. I really hope your surname is Boggle. Fantastic!
Unfortunately Boggle is not my real name. I just model myself on Sid James' character in "Carry on Camping" :D
25t AWD R-Sport, Firenze red, 19" wheels, privacy glass, ebony & pimento leather, Navigation Pro, panoramic non-opening roof, folding mirrors, 10 way seats, configurable ambient lighting, rear cam.

f-pacer

Post by f-pacer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 pm

A question on activating the 3 sim card.
Can this be done in car? or does it have to be done beforehand in a phone?

Thanks

FP
2.0D AWD Portfolio, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass, ICTP, Adaptive Dynamics, 19'' Alloys, 10 way memory seats with lumbar support. Delivered October 2017

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:01 pm

f-pacer wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 pm
A question on activating the 3 sim card.
Can this be done in car? or does it have to be done beforehand in a phone?

Thanks

FP
Just stick it in the sim slot. From memory I thìnk all you have to do then is switch on the mobile data toggle in the connectivity menu in ICTP. There may have been an additional action in that menu, but it was all in the car. No preregistration required.

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:50 am

You only need to put it in a phone if you want to register online to access your account and see how much data you have left (needs to send u texts to activate your acct). If you're not bothered about that, then plug and play!!!
No longer an active member.

Wookiee

Post by Wookiee » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am

Coopsterdude wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:50 am
You only need to put it in a phone if you want to register online to access your account and see how much data you have left (needs to send u texts to activate your acct). If you're not bothered about that, then plug and play!!!
If you don't do that, how do you know when you're running out of data?!
2018 Portfolio 25T; Firenze Red; ICTP 380; sliding pano roof; cold-climate pack; configurable dynamics; BSM; 20-way seats; privacy glass; adaptive dynamics; configurable mood lighting; spacesaver; cooled glovebox; reclining rear seats

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:59 am

You don't, but based on the average usage your 12 mths will run out before your data!
No longer an active member.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm

The car tells you your total useage so far so with some basic maths you can work out how long you have left :-)
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”