SIM cards

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
chimchimcheroo

Re: SIM cards

Post by chimchimcheroo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:39 am

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:15 am
^ i think most providers allow you to add another SIM to your account pretty cheaply. For me it would have been £8/month to share my 20GB allowance.

However I kind of struggle to see how you will munch through loads of data unless you have kids in the back watching movies on a long trip. I say this because the FP only has a 3G connection so if you are a businessman working from your car you are more likely to grab your phone/iPad and use a 4G connection.

I have all data options turned on in the car and I've only used just over 1GB of my 12GB 3 data sim in 6 months!
Of course it wouldn't be of interest to everybody but the option at the point of buying the car would be worth it to some

I would like to think that Jaguar are exploring the possibility.

Once you have a back seat full of grandkids (as I will do soon) they start to eat through the data. Video streaming etc...

Nice to know that the standard data usage is low
2.0d Auto RWD Portfolio, 20" 10 spoke wheels, BRG, Adaptive Dynamics, Privacy Glass, Leds, 20 way seat pack, Black interior, Oyster headlining, Remote rear release, ICTP 380, Rubber mats, Loadspace scuff plate, fixed sidesteps, Dual view screen

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:59 am

Have to say I struggle with this too. A cheap sim covers anything you are likely to use in the car, traffic etc. The connection is not good enough to stream movies on the move. I then used my iPhone/ipad as it is was so much faster to use and efficient, to do whatever I wanted to do, whether than be the googling on utilising apps etc.
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:27 am

^ now the Velar has 4G ... so that would be a good candidate ;-)
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

wislonp

Post by wislonp » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi

I use FreedomPop FREE SIM card. 200MB free data per month but I am a 'light' user.

Geoff B

Post by Geoff B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:20 pm

Clarification is sought from a man with small amount of IT connectivity awareness. My car is arriving next week from the factory and I am nailing down the last actions. I have attempted to read up through previous posts to get a line of what I need to know, but it is clear that those posting understand the subject at a much higher level than me. I have grandchildren and looking to utilise the 4G EE Buzzard to enable a mobile WiFi Hotspot as and when, as well as utilising the features that require a SIM through ICTP.

1. Does the SIM in the EE Buzzard replace the need for the SIM in the car set up, or do I need two SIMS ?

2. The Buzzard appears 'locked' to EE for their SIMS to be used, given things change in regard to promotions, are there any current good deals?

3. The Buzzard shows as using a 12v supply, has anyone used one and in such a location, does it fit/practical, given the immediate surroundings,
the diagram shows the 12V in the lower dash by the gear selector?

The other two locations for 12V shown in diagram are the rear centre consul and the boot. Both locations are not practical as it states you have to press the Buzzard to start it up each time, and kids will knock in first option. The original Buzzard I understand was automatic, not sure why they changed it or allowed the option.

4. I use Spotify at home and looking to use in my car [just read up] through a lightening lead to the USB port in the centre arm rest from my
IPhone 5. Can I switch my phone to WIFI and pick up on the Buzzard SIM when using Spotify?

Can those using this configuration does it work given the current Jaguar connectivity quality levels?

I have just sent off the letter to the dealer re enhanced PDI, and added to the list, Front half shaft assembly and Climate control-temp issues
2.0 Portfolio auto in Corris grey, Privacy glass, LED lights, Heated s/w, 14/18 way seats, Bionics, ICTP 380w, Conf mood lights, space saver, Blind spot monitor and Service plan.

chimchimcheroo

Post by chimchimcheroo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 am

Geoff B wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:20 pm
Clarification is sought from a man with small amount of IT connectivity awareness. My car is arriving next week from the factory and I am nailing down the last actions. I have attempted to read up through previous posts to get a line of what I need to know, but it is clear that those posting understand the subject at a much higher level than me. I have grandchildren and looking to utilise the 4G EE Buzzard to enable a mobile WiFi Hotspot as and when, as well as utilising the features that require a SIM through ICTP.

1. Does the SIM in the EE Buzzard replace the need for the SIM in the car set up, or do I need two SIMS ?

2. The Buzzard appears 'locked' to EE for their SIMS to be used, given things change in regard to promotions, are there any current good deals?

3. The Buzzard shows as using a 12v supply, has anyone used one and in such a location, does it fit/practical, given the immediate surroundings,
the diagram shows the 12V in the lower dash by the gear selector?

The other two locations for 12V shown in diagram are the rear centre consul and the boot. Both locations are not practical as it states you have to press the Buzzard to start it up each time, and kids will knock in first option. The original Buzzard I understand was automatic, not sure why they changed it or allowed the option.

4. I use Spotify at home and looking to use in my car [just read up] through a lightening lead to the USB port in the centre arm rest from my
IPhone 5. Can I switch my phone to WIFI and pick up on the Buzzard SIM when using Spotify?

Can those using this configuration does it work given the current Jaguar connectivity quality levels?

I have just sent off the letter to the dealer re enhanced PDI, and added to the list, Front half shaft assembly and Climate control-temp issues

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1547#p18263
2.0d Auto RWD Portfolio, 20" 10 spoke wheels, BRG, Adaptive Dynamics, Privacy Glass, Leds, 20 way seat pack, Black interior, Oyster headlining, Remote rear release, ICTP 380, Rubber mats, Loadspace scuff plate, fixed sidesteps, Dual view screen

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 pm

For my wifi I found the best deal to be Three 12gb for £30 on a non contract sim. It's valid for 12months and works in Europe too at no extra cost. So kids can internet til there hearts are content abroad.
Ultimate black 3.0D S
Red jet leather, climate pack, park assist, 360, adaptive, 20", heated steering, remote, plus more I've either not found or know what they do!

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 pm

Jules wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 pm
For my wifi I found the best deal to be Three 12gb for £30 on a non contract sim. It's valid for 12months and works in Europe too at no extra cost. So kids can internet til there hearts are content abroad.
Yes, but check their coverage in your local area....

I have one but have intermittent 3G, which I thought was the car until I checked their coverage map!

Geoff B

Post by Geoff B » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 am

Thanks for reply to SIM - Buzzard, helps in making another decision
2.0 Portfolio auto in Corris grey, Privacy glass, LED lights, Heated s/w, 14/18 way seats, Bionics, ICTP 380w, Conf mood lights, space saver, Blind spot monitor and Service plan.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:49 am

corriescar66 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 pm
Jules wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 pm
Yes, but check their coverage in your local area....

I have one but have intermittent 3G, which I thought was the car until I checked their coverage map!
That's the SIM I have. In JLR5.1 it was very patchy. In JLR5.2 it's been absolutely rock solid across the length and breadth of the country.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”