Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

SIM cards

235K views 362 replies 129 participants last post by  Brier 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That great for seeing how much date I will use I don't think I will use much so this is great .
Well spotted sonic

#8 ·
For all the internet connectivity features... satellite maps, apps, ETA sharing, connected search, etc. There are ways around this, if you use your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect the car to it, but this is a little more fiddly that just using a sim permanent;y installed in the car.

#15 ·
I am guessing, but I think the inbuilt SIM will be a clever one that bridges multiple networks to ensure there is a data network always available - perhaps this is something they couldn't easily pass on to Joe Public.

For us, we just pick the SIM that works the best in our area, so far so good with the Three SIM.

#18 ·
I've just ordered the 12gb '3 Network' pre loaded for 12 months at £30 from Amazon that someone on the forum kindly highlighted :)

#19 ·
Hello folks,

So, reading this thread, I feel like I have just beamed in from the world of Windows 98. Can someone be kind enough just to explain why I need a SIM card, how much it'll cost and what functionality I will get? My current order specification is for the F-Pace S but I have decided not to upgrade from the standard In Control Touch to the wide screen version, if that's relevant.

In particular, I am hoping that the inbuilt SatNav will have 'real time traffic information' and offer rerouting suggestions both here in the UK & in Europe. Do I need a SIM card installed for that functionality too?

Any simple explanation is appreciated. My current 2014 XC60 doesn't have a SIM card.

Thanks,

Arianne

#21 ·
Arianne said:
Hello folks,

So, reading this thread, I feel like I have just beamed in from the world of Windows 98. Can someone be kind enough just to explain why I need a SIM card, how much it'll cost and what functionality I will get? My current order specification is for the F-Pace S but I have decided not to upgrade from the standard In Control Touch to the wide screen version, if that's relevant.

In particular, I am hoping that the inbuilt SatNav will have 'real time traffic information' and offer rerouting suggestions both here in the UK & in Europe. Do I need a SIM card installed for that functionality too?

Any simple explanation is appreciated. My current 2014 XC60 doesn't have a SIM card.

Thanks,

Arianne
Have a look at:
http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/document/4A/2017/T29581/20835_en_GBR/proc/G1821979
It might help.

#22 ·
From what I've seen, by installing the data sim you get enhanced Sat Nav functionality.

Without the SIM the traffic alerts come over the radio waves using RDS-TMC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel) - this works, but you find the information is limited (and sometimes out of date).

When you add the SIM you get extra data provided by "HERE", with realtime traffic information. It is pretty impressive.

Also, with the SIM installed you get satellite overlays like in Google Maps (it is powered by Google Maps), plus when entering your destination you can see google streetview to check what your destination looks like. Again all handy stuff.

Hope this helps.

#23 ·
Now a days almost all SatNav devices have real time traffic update- generally this is done over radio frequency. My old garmin will not show traffic information unless it is connected to the charger- thee radio antenna was in the charger. So while I'm not aware of what Jaguar uses for SatNav- you will most likely have traffic info on it.

By using a sim card you car is always connected. Features like starting your car remotely, locking/ unlocking the doors from your phone, will not work everywhere unless your car has a sim card (may work at home when connected to your home wifi)

It is my understanding that for all other functionality you can use your home wifi- for things like sending a route from your phone to your car. While driving in the car you can use your phone as a hotspot for things like sending ETA looking up restaurants etc...

Hope this helps.

#24 ·
Hi Kris,

The remote features *do* work without an additional SIM. There is one built into the car already for this and the SOS assistance. I used these features for a few days before I bought the SIM card.

The additional SIM card just gives you more features, like enhanced navigation, route sending, WIFI hotspot, Web Browsing etc.

#25 ·
Thank you everyone. So you get a decent amount of basic functionality without the additional SIM but the more extensive suite with a SIM. my current Garmin Nuvi SatNav works by picking up radio alerts through the charger lead, as has just been mentioned. I didn't realise that you can get even better RTI via a SIM. I'm off to have a look at those links to Amazon etc. that have been provided.

Very useful. Thanks again.

Arianne

#26 ·
Hi guys, not sure if it's already been discussed and my dealer is very vague, SIM cards....
I know I need one for my card, anyone got any ideas or have been told about what kind of plan I would need? How much data the car will eat every month? What uses the data everyday to run? I don't wanna be caught out with enormous data bills cos the damn thing wants to do constant software updates!
Any ideas or help would be fatefully received!
Thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.