Driver side rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
pmheathcote

Driver side rattle

Post by pmheathcote » Sat May 01, 2021 7:01 pm

Hi all,

I have a low speed/rpm rattle on the drivers side. I think I have located it as the surround to the small panel with the boot open and light dimmer switch. Anyone else had this issue.

Also a few rattles have appeared around the centre console, mainly in warm weather.

Am I alone?
Eiger Grey 3.0d V6 S, Black Pack, 22" Black Double Helix Wheels. Sliding Panoramic Roof.

James3

Re: Driver side rattle

Post by James3 » Sun May 02, 2021 11:21 pm

Yes. Appeared in the last few days. Low-ish speed (up to 50) and / or poor road surface. More of a light buzz than a rattle and 'light' in sound quality so suggesting something of low mass is vibrating sympathetically with some trigger or other. Pressing a finger down between the bottom of the instrument display clear plastic and the surround seems to stop it. Haven't had time to pin it down any more than that nor apply any temporary fixes (such as a matchstick between 'glass' and surround). Sounds too clear to be something behind the glass / surround.

16 reg 3.0d S Ist Edition; ICTP; 23K miles.

KeithL

Post by KeithL » Mon May 03, 2021 7:42 am

I recently developed a rattle somewhere in the dashboard area on certain road surfaces and it turned out to be the air vent insert just under the windscreen had come loose.
2017 2.0 i4 Diesel (180PS) Auto AWD Portfolio in Indus Silver with ICTP

James3

Post by James3 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:21 pm

I suspect that there are as many likely causes of rattles as there are light-ish components held together by clips rather than good old screws. The fine finish in this car is not impressive. My 15 plate XF 3d S was quite different. The claims for finish quality that we heard when we went round the F-Type production line on a factory tour don't seem to have been realised in this model. That said, it's a great car and we enjoy it.