How to replace main battery ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
djlesli

How to replace main battery ?

Post by djlesli » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi,

has anyone successfully completed a main battery replacement themselves and can advise best approach, things to avoid?

And what battery do you have installed?

I've a jaguar F-pace 3.0d V6 2016 with AGM battery.

Many thanks for any info/advice.

FP Steve B

Re: How to replace main battery ?

Post by FP Steve B » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:33 am

I believe it is a bit complicated in that the 'system' has to be told that a new battery is being installed which may involve software. It is not quite as easy as unbolting everything & changing it. 8-)
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

apemberton

Post by apemberton » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:59 am

There is a 'Battery Monitoring System' (BMS) that should be reset if fitting a new battery. The BMS controls battery charge rate and battery condition. Resetting it tell the system a new battery, at max capacity has been fitted. Most good battery shops and local garages will have a suitable diagnostic tool to do this or you buy such a tool. I use a iCarsoft V2.0 LR. Great tool for less than £150.
There was a BMS software update to the early cars so check with the main dealer if your car needed it and has had it updated. This update also help the auto stop/start system so if you car is functioning correctly with the auto stop/start then leave it alone!
When changing the battery always add a 'booster pack' or a good 12v supply to the 'posts' under the bonnet. This is so than the car retains all of the settings. However when you do this extreme care needs to be taken when removing the main battery terminals as these will remain live. Put a rubber glove over the +ve battery terminal immediately when you remove it from the battery to isolate it from the car body.
Always fit the same size battery, type, dimensionally and capacity. Measure it and copy the details from your existing battery. Your battery will be an AGM and about 95ah 850CCA with a code number of 019 (from memory!). Buy the best! for example Yuassa YBX9019 with 4 or 5 year warranty for about £150.
F-Pace S 3.0 V6 Supercharged - Glacier White
F-Type S 3.0 V6 Supercharged - Salsa Red

djlesli

Post by djlesli » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 am

Hi,

thank you for all your details.

I have an Icarsoft EU pro, so i could update the BMS software with this tool.

Currently, the start and stop doesn't work on my car. I think the battery charge is bad or not in good condition.

For several days, i have connected a ctek mx5 to give it a try.

Could you advise me a good booster pack or a good 12v supply to replace my battery without risk?

Many thanks.

apemberton

Post by apemberton » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:34 am

You can't update the BMS with iCarsoft but you can reset it. Check that you have the latest updates for Jaguar from iCarsoft. Latest release was about 2 weeks ago.
I'm not sure if the CTEK MX5 will deliver the continuous 12v supply required. Check the instructions.
You can use 'jump leads' from another 12v car or 12v car battery. A booster pack can be also called a jump pack.
F-Pace S 3.0 V6 Supercharged - Glacier White
F-Type S 3.0 V6 Supercharged - Salsa Red

wislonp

Post by wislonp » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:19 pm

Hi

Jaguar quoted me nearly £500 to replace my AMG battery as they said the BMS would need replacing at the same time. I had asked them to look at why the stop/start wasn’t working. I declined and eventually went to Halfords as they gave me a five year warranty on the battery. They did it with 45 minutes and reset the BMS. I’ve had no problems in the two months since I had it done and the stop/start now works as it should.

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:46 pm

djlesli wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 am
Hi,

Could you advise me a good booster pack or a good 12v supply to replace my battery without risk?

Many thanks.
I have a NOCO GB70 (made in USA), and have many uses for this piece of kit. It starts boats, fork lift trucks, quad bikes, HGV's, Jaguar F-Paces and the rest of the family's cars when required. This is a big unit and something like the GB40 would probably be more appropriate if you just want to start the car. I have owned the equipment for around 5 years now and only re-charged it once after around 40 starts! Search a certain "Prime" market place for UK distributors.
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

djlesli

Post by djlesli » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Currently i have an Exide 90Ah 850A on my jaguar f-pace (300 R-sport).

Can i set up a Yuasa YBX9019 95ah 850A or a yuasa YBX 9020 105Ah 950A ?

Which is the best for my F-pace?

Many thanks

big jon

Post by big jon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:05 pm

i fitted a Yuasa ybx9019 slightly bigger than original battery but never had a problem
R sport, AWD Auto, White, black pack,, dynamics pack, panoramic roof, ICTP 380, folding mirrors,20"black venoms and much more

MMXVI

Post by MMXVI » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:40 am

Did you use software? Or you just removed the old one and fit the new one?