Oil service interval

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
6agne

Oil service interval

Post by 6agne » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:50 am

I bought the car 2 months ago, and back then I had 4000km to oil change or 4 months. I haven’t got any messages about oil change till Tuesday this week when I got a message that I have 3000km left then I drove 50-70km that day.

On Wednesday I started the car in the morning and the message was 2400km. On Thursday morning - 1900km. On Friday - 1300km. On Saturday - 800km.

Today I started the car and I got the message “Service required”. Indeed I drive in the city most of the time but this doesn’t sound right... if I change the oil now and I lose 500km every day, I will have to replace the oil again in a couple of months. Is this normal?
2016 Jaguar F-Pace 3.0d S AWD, ICTP Version 3.5

Deltasierra

Re: Oil service interval

Post by Deltasierra » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Change the oil as first priority

You drive in the city, does this mean you do a lot of short stop go journeys or longer trips.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

6agne

Post by 6agne » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:30 am

I have already changed the oil.

The distance to my office is 10-15km every day, both ways, a couple of traffic lights, mostly motorway. Once a week, I have a longer journey of 30-40km+.

As far as I start getting it... I shouldn't have bought a diesel car, and even worse - a Jaguar/Land Rover diesel car. We will see how this oil will go. If things go wrong, I will have to sell the car which I like so much... :cry:

FP Steve B

Post by FP Steve B » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:50 am

I have a 3 ltr diesel F Pace & I do about 7.5k miles a year, even less at the moment with C19. Most of my journeys at the moment are around 10 miles but I do take it out for a blast of 30+ miles once a week. The Service Algorithm works off mileage completed & also time since the last service, it could be that yours was sat on the garage forecourt for a few weeks. Also have a look at the service history to see when the vehicle was serviced, this could give you a clue as to when the annual service was due. If you do find that you need an interim service, & your vehicle is out of the warranty period, you can do an oil service yourself quite easily using an oil extraction hand pump which fits over the old dipstick (right hand side of the engine with a plastic screw cap on). The oil filter is at the top of the engine also under the plastic cover, which pops off. There have been a couple of posts on here that discuss this. 8-)
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

6agne

Post by 6agne » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:05 am

It is still under warranty but they told me they can replace just the oil and filter for 200 EUR. I have to monitor the oil level closely because of these oil dilution problems.

My car has no dipstick and it is hard to find information as to the amount of oil between low and high on the dashboard meter. As far as I could get it, it is 1.8 liters, is that correct?

Btw, one thing I do not understand is why with cars with dipstick you have to measure oil level when cold, while cars without dipstick have to do it when the oil is hot... doesn't make sense to me.

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:30 am

It’s not just Jaguar all diesel vehicles with emission control suffer from these problems to a greater or lesser degree, some even use cheat software to get around it. It needs a continuous journey at cruising speed of 30 to 40 mins to regenerate the particulate filter, so which is going to cost less, an oil change, or a blast along the motorway regularly. Once a week should be enough, in my case I am doing a 50 mile trip most weeks and get to 12 months before a service message light shows.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Barthog

Post by Barthog » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm

If you check the link I sent you earlier when asking about many warning lights it is easy to find and describes how to top up with or without a dipstick and how much oil it takes from where it is in the dipstick.
If the oil is hot or cold won’t cause you a problem just follow the Instructions for your type of dip stick.
It’s obviously been designed to check the level hot or cold subject to type of measurement why worry about it.
M19 3.0 S Caesium Blue, Black Pack, 10 Way/4 way lumbar/ Jet/Light Oyster, 20" Grey Blades, Pano roof, ICT Pro 380W,
Adap Dynamics, Keyless Entry, Rear View Cam, Privacy glass, Heated Screen/Jets, Service/Pack, Apple CarPlay, Tracker,
Born 3/10/18

6agne

Post by 6agne » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:40 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:30 am
.....in my case I am doing a 50 mile trip most weeks and get to 12 months before a service message light shows.
That's good, 12 months is great. Do you monitor your oil level regularly? Does the level rise during those 12 months? That would mean fuel gets into the fuel, as far as I get it from everything I've read these days.

To tell you the truth, I prefer the cheating software... all those eco-friendly systems are bad for the cars and their reliability, and in the end we pay for it instead of the manufacturers. The first thing I do when I start the car is to turn the START/STOP system off.

6agne

Post by 6agne » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Barthog wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:25 pm
If you check the link I sent you earlier when asking about many warning lights it is easy to find and describes how to top up with or without a dipstick and how much oil it takes from where it is in the dipstick.
Unfortunately, there is no solid statement about this... my assumption that it's 1.8 liters is based on the information about the dipstick. As to cars with no dipstick, they say "if it is low, pour 1.5 liters" but that information doesn't answer the question in reality, unless it is the same as with the real dipstick.

Is the low marker to high marker on cars without dipstick the same amount as with those with dipstick - 1.8 liters?

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:17 pm

No dipstick on mine electronic readout on dash, 5 yr service contract, never had to add oil, just add blue when it asked for it, now done 28k miles never missed a beat.
XKR Convertible