Exhaust Filter ‘Full’

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Newtojag

Exhaust Filter ‘Full’

Post by Newtojag » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:26 am

Has anyone had a message saying that the exhaust filter is full and to take the car to the dealer.
When I did this I was told that as the car was due a service in 85 days ( 3 months), the problem could not be cleared without a change of oil and filter.
Final bill likely to be around £500.
Needless to say I am absolutely furious 🥵

Smitten

Re: Exhaust Filter ‘Full’

Post by Smitten » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:06 pm

You probably have pretty severe oil dilution due to incomplete combustion in the diesel particulate filter and hence need for oil change. Lots of interrupted DPF regeneration cycles caused by predominantly short journeys and stop start motoring has caused the blockage. Extra fuel is injected into the DPF to burn off particulate matter that has accumulated and un burned fuel when a cycle is interrupted ends up back in the sump. To be fair the F Pace is much better than other JLR models due to positioning of DPF closer to engine.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

FP Steve B

Post by FP Steve B » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:18 am

Usually you get an amber warning light first (I had this on a Discovery Sport) before the red warning exhaust filter full message. I had a done a number of short journeys to get the Amber warning & the way I cleared it was a 30 min blast up the dual carriageway & the warning light went away never to return. Also I believe that an oil & filter change won't cure a DFP Filter that is full there has to be further intervention, even changing the filter? 8-)
Delivered 28/11/18, 3.0d V6 Portfolio Auto AWD, Fuji White, Ebony Windsor Leather Electric Seats, Adaptive LED lights.
Gone: LR Discovery Sport 180, Holden Clubsport R8 6.2ltr V8, Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD, Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, Ford Mustang Cobra V8. 8-)

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:48 am

Yes you are right. The oil change is just a consequence/precaution as I don't think the F Pace measures % of oil dilution. The variable service interval is determined by driving style and number of starts. Not sure how they actually clear a blocked DPF but once you get the red light, a mechanical intervention is needed. I have never had an amber light. I Just make sure I have a 30 mile or so journey every week or so and try to avoid too many short trips.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:54 am

Never heard of this with an FPace, other models have an amber light that tells you it needs a long run to regenerate the particulate filter. If it was my car I would take it out and drive it hard for a hour or so hoping the message went away, if not get the fault code cancelled and see if it comes back.
If the Particulate filter has to be replaced and a service done by a Jaguar dealer the bill is going to be a lot more than £500.

The service display on the car shows miles remaining according to your driving style and will give a warning as it gets close, there will be a sensor that detects a blocked exhaust, sensors do fail, that needs checking before the filter is replaced. Don’t automatically accept the dealers explanation check out the other causes.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

6agne

Post by 6agne » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:30 pm

My sister has an Audi A3 2.0TDi with DPF and for 5-6 years of ownership she has never driven it on a motorway. No DPF warning to date on her car.

I don't know anything about your daily driving style but what I know is that DPFs do not get clogged so easily. If it does, there is good possibility something is broken - a sensor which prevents the DPF cleaning from starting at all, or wrong oil or something like that.

chris

Post by chris » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:12 pm

DPF and EGR problems on my Saab 9-3 still give me sweats and panic attacks-cost a small fortune to put right! :x
XF Portfolio 2.0d AWD ,Polaris White, Oyster Windsor leather, LEDs, 360 degree cameras Parking Pack, Infotainment Pro, 380w Meridian, cool box, spare wheel, splash guards service pack, Lifetime shine

Robzx6r

Post by Robzx6r » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 pm

I got same problem, did you resolve it?
Essential journeys only in a 5 mile perimeter did it 😌

chris

Post by chris » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Traded it in for brand new XF that sorted it once and for all! Only problem in 7 years ownership of my Saab, but they are prone to exhaust related issues.
XF Portfolio 2.0d AWD ,Polaris White, Oyster Windsor leather, LEDs, 360 degree cameras Parking Pack, Infotainment Pro, 380w Meridian, cool box, spare wheel, splash guards service pack, Lifetime shine