Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Rattle from underneath car

9K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob a 
#1 ·
Hi,

For the past couple of months, I've had an intermittent rattle on startup, which appears to be coming from the underside of my F Pace (MY18 3.0d), roughly below the front passenger seat area. It's been to the dealers for three days, who could not reproduce the problem, and so could not diagnose it, despite me sending a recording. It's doing my head in now, so before I book it back in at the dealers, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has had anything similar, or any bright ideas as to what to check.

- The sound is a rapid metallic tap-tap-tap (think Woody Woodpecker speed) and is reasonably loud - I can hear it in the cabin with the radio switched off.
- Doesn't happen all the time - seemingly only when it's cold and/or damp.
- Only happens when idling at 650/700rpm, and sometimes when traveling as I pass 1400 rpm (when the noise isn't there at 1400rpm, I get some resonance at 1400rpm instead, not sure if that's related or not)
- Lasts for a couple of minutes and doesn't come back until the car has cooled down several hours later.
- Sometimes it's there as soon as I start, other times it starts after I reverse off the drive.
- No obvious vibration from the steering wheel or the pedals.[/list]

I had a crawl around next to it this morning, and it seems to be coming from the exhaust, specifically the 'C' shaped section towards the passenger side, below the passenger seat. The rattle seems loudest there, and I can feel the exhaust rattling when I touch there (at startup, when it's still cold). Of course, it could be coming from elsewhere, and just amplified there. Pushing and prodding that component didn't seem to make much difference.

I would love to be able to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming and a potential cause before going back to the dealers - any ideas?

Thanks,

Balders.

See less See more
#5 ·
My old 2.0 DS used to rattle at 1400 rpm.
It was a fault with a heat shield fixing around the tail pipe.
Sounds very similar to me

#7 ·
To put this thread to bed, my F Pace went to the service department for a couple of days where they were able to reproduce the problem and found that it was related to the heat shield, and something rattling against a pipe. The offending item was adjusted, and happy to say, now rattle free.

Balders.

#8 ·
It is shocking it took them so long to identify the issue as a wee hit common sense would have taken them to check the heatshields as we identified on this thread.

It feels at times real mechanics are a thing if the past and if they cannot plug in something to identify the issue they are lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.