White blocks on the wheels

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Taffy_

White blocks on the wheels

Post by Taffy_ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:37 am

Hi all,
Think these are wheel weights, yes ? Some wheels have them, some don't. Some have fallen off on the driveway.

20191202_083259.jpg

F-Pace SVR | Santorini Black | 22" 5081 | Sliding Pan Roof | Privacy Glass | CD/DVD Player | Ebony Lozenge | Meridian Surround Sound | Ambient lighting | AdSR | Activity Key | Tracker

catwoman

Re: White blocks on the wheels

Post by catwoman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am

Hi Taffy, yes, they are wheel balancing weights . . . if some have fallen off (did you actually find them?), then I would recommend you get your wheel balancing checked at a tyre fitters . . . however, you might also see patches where weights have previously been on your rims if tyres have been re-fitted on your car, so they may not have fallen off, they may have been deliberately removed. Personally, I have never known weights to fall off, although anything is possible, but they are usually stuck on very firmly indeed.

How does the steering feel . . any 'wobble'?
. . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

FXE

Post by FXE » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

I'd take it in a shop to make sure the wheels are balanced if you are certain that some of them have fallen off. I also suggest asking if they have darker colored weights for black rims as they blend in a lot better. Definitely made a difference on mine.

Taffy_

Post by Taffy_ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:08 am

Cheers catwoman .. never had a new car with new wheels needing balancing weights before. Not sure why Jag use them.

I found one or two weights on the driveway, discarded them as I didn't associate them with the car, so they've definitely come off the car

I've had some instability, whilst others have cited none, and suddenly started to add 1 and 1 together. Sounds like a trip is needed (any excuse to get behind the wheel ;) )

Cheers for the quick reply 8-)
F-Pace SVR | Santorini Black | 22" 5081 | Sliding Pan Roof | Privacy Glass | CD/DVD Player | Ebony Lozenge | Meridian Surround Sound | Ambient lighting | AdSR | Activity Key | Tracker

mik

Post by mik » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:46 am

Taffy_ wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:08 am
Cheers catwoman .. never had a new car with new wheels needing balancing weights before. Not sure why Jag use them.
Eh? There are variations in material thickness within the wheels, and - more importantly - within the tyres. You add weights to avoid these variations causing wobble/hop at high speed. If you take the tyre off and replace it in a different position on the alloy, you need to reassess and add different weights to balance it up.

This is an issue that affects all manufacturers. It is far from a Jaguar-specific practice. :?
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

Taffy_

Post by Taffy_ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm

All I know is what I know. I"ve had a Merc Benz C250, BMW 330d, 340i and a Lexus NX, all when new had zero sign of any weight balancing on any of the wheels.

Maybe the issue that Jag are doing it right, and MB, BMW and Lexus are all doing it wrong :)

Peterjohn

Post by Peterjohn » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:51 pm

I can confirm this is common practice by most manufacturers I would also add that pressure washing your car can eventually loosen these weights
F pace 2.0D checkered flag eiger grey

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Good point Peterjohn, I hadn't thought about pressure washing loosening weights. Pressure washing can be brutal even on paintwork as well, if done too closely.
. . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

philmayfield

Post by philmayfield » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Wheel weights are usually put on the inner sides of the wheel so you might not have seen them. Whilst the wheel castings may be almost perfect the tyres will have manufacturing variations so there will always be some weights applied to the wheels.

Catmad

Post by Catmad » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:02 pm

Standard practice for all manufacturers to add balance patches on new wheels. Just be careful when using the power washer - you shouldn't be washing at such a high pressure near bodywork in any case.
2.0D Prestige 180 AWD Auto Italian Racing Red

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”