Towbar and electric side steps

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
owen1

Towbar and electric side steps

Post by owen1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi

I am in the process of getting some quotes to have a towbar fitted to my 3.0 S.

One of the quotes has mentioned that a towbar is not compatible if deployable side steps are fitted. My car has eletric side steps.

Has anyone got a towbar with similar side steps or any knowledge of why such a comment should be made ?

Regards

Owen

AlisdairH

Re: Towbar and electric side steps

Post by AlisdairH » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm

I feel your pain.

i also have a 3.0 S with deployable side steps. I took advice from a Jaguar service manager before having a towbar fitted. He advised me to get a Witter one, so I ordered directly from the Witter UK website. Witter had a comment stating that I'd need to take it to Jaguar post-fitting for coding so i factored that into the price.

When the fitter came, he completed most of the job and then showed me that the electrical socket that the instructions told him to use was the same one that the side steps control module was plugged into. He unplugged the side steps and commented that when I took it into Jaguar, he'd expect them to sort it out for me.

Unfortunately Jaguar couldn't do anything about it. The end result is that Witter UK have now removed the tow bar and given me a full refund (they have been fantastic.)

The only option that I now understand to be available to me is to bite the bullet and pay for the dealer fit towbar. If you find an alternative solution I'd be interested to hear about it but I have done a fair bit of research and haven't found one

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:30 pm

I had this issue with a Witter towbar fitted to my “pre built” FPace, I got the correct relay for my MY18 car and the only issue is the reversing sensors activate backing up, as I saved about £ 700 over a dealer fitted towbar I turn a deaf ear to the sensors on those few occasions.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

owen1

Post by owen1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Thank you for your replies

I am booked in at the beginning of October to have a Tow Trust towbar fitted.

When booking in I queried the issue of the side steps and was told that there weren't any notes attached to the fitting instructions and there should not be a problem.

I will report back in October !

Owen

owen1

Post by owen1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:17 pm

I have had a detachable lockable swan necked towbar and 7 pin electrics fitted today by Towbars-UK at Willand in East Devon.

The cost all in was £435 and the towbar is suitably approved and epoxy coated. The electric side steps still operate properly and I was very pleased with service that I received.

The quote was some £250 cheaper than others that I received so it made the 150 mile round trip worth it.
When I asked about the problems with the electrics, I was told that they only occur when a JLR wiring accessory is used. Universal wiring works fine.

The guys at Towbars-UK were very knowledgeable about JLR products.

Owen

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:37 am

Do your reversing sensors still sound backing up and I guess there is no trailer stability programmer although you have saved a lot of cash.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

owen1

Post by owen1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Reversing sensors are working as they should.

I have not investigated the trailer stability programme, but not too concerned about that because I shall only tow a smallish trailer and use the towbar for a bike rack.

MiCoHi

Post by MiCoHi » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:05 am

It seems that F-Pace deployable towbars are a complete minefield:

I purchased the armature kit (so the main bar/hitch and motor assembly) as was told it would fit my car (Oct 17, but apparently an 18 model year) and when looking for the module, it seems there's a MY17 only and a MY18 onwards one. Looking at part numbers (T4A8608 MY17, T4A16372 MY18>), it seems that the actual modules are the same part, both are printed with EDT+TE+DSS (presumably meaning electrically deployable towbar, towing electrics and deployable side steps), but the MY18> come with a small wiring loom plugged into connector on the left of the module.

And although they look identical, it seems that the armatures are different too - T4A7049 is for MY17 and T4A16306 is MY18>. As I've bought the T4A7049 armature, I'm going to see how it all connects up with the later module. I have no deployable side steps to complicate matters and have no intention of getting them. I also only use the towbar for cycle carrying.
2018MY Corris R-Sport. 22" Grey Turbine wheels, LED lights, adaptive cruise, fully loaded (bar blind spot assist, tow-bar and lumbar).

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”