New Discs for a 3.0D S

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
ChrisC

New Discs for a 3.0D S

Post by ChrisC » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:14 pm

Has anyone had a quote for replacing the discs recently? Got one today, seemed awfully high in my opinion.

thanks in advance
F-Pace 3.0D S

DPE

Re: New Discs for a 3.0D S

Post by DPE » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:54 pm

How many miles have you done before they are having to be replaced ? I have covered 43,000 so far.
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

bobmedley

Post by bobmedley » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 am

I had a quote of about £1,300 for discs and pads all round from a main dealer - I sourced the jag parts myself and got an independent to do it, for the total sum of £675.
F Pace 3.0D S

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:12 pm

the car has done just under 25k, so my expectation is discs and pads should last longer than that. There are no warning lights being displayed on brakes being worn. (the light refers to pads I believe).

The dealer has quoted pads and discs needing changed. Looking at the discs there is a degree of corrosion around the edges which seems to be a fairly common fault. I will look at getting a second opinion I think.
F-Pace 3.0D S

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:42 am

So just been talking to a mechanic at a local garage about the discs. He says very common problem. Tata steel is hopeless and that is why there is the ring of rust around the outside of the disc...
F-Pace 3.0D S

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:02 pm

They are supposed to be cast iron not steel, CI is quite corrosion resistant so at a guess other scrap is going into the mix for casting. Tata may indeed be supplying brake discs but there is no excuse for supply poor quality components to your own company.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:04 pm

So update on the chat with the local mechanic. He reckons neither the discs nor pads are anywhere near being changed. He had the wheels off to fit new tyres.

I also told him how much the dealer wanted to do it. He almost choked. He reckons he would get far better quality discs and fit for half the price.

Dealer wanted 1400 for discs and pads. :cry:
F-Pace 3.0D S

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 pm

Not altogether surprised to read this, Chris, it is pretty shocking and doesn’t make you feel all that good to think that the dealers might just be trying to drum-up some extra business to pay for those flashy showrooms, at your expense. Customer trust is hard to win and easily lost. Independent local mechanics are almost always better value.
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:11 pm

I’m surprised anyone is shocked by this, it’s normal main dealer practice. A few years ago a Toyota had a recall for a rear axle seal fault and they tried to fit new discs for £600. OEM discs would have cost half that and they already had the brakes off doing the seals. Nothing wrong with the old discs, crooks.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Am I surprised by it? Maybe not. Disappointed? Absolutely. I used to deal with a dealer who, as far as I could tell, were a 100% straight. Based in the Scottish Borders, their customer service second to none. They knew me and knew my car. A long and happy relationship. However they lost the franchise.

Now I deal with a vacuous, faceless organisation who sit in a shiny new dual brand showroom but don't know the time of day. Never the same person twice.

I see 100% why people stop buying cars because of the after service and switch brands. Maybe I had just been lucky and was cocooned from usual practices in the past.

Is this my last Jaguar? Maybe...
F-Pace 3.0D S

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”