Power Steering Fluid Reservoir location - Where is it?!

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
templar77

Power Steering Fluid Reservoir location - Where is it?!

Post by templar77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:01 am

Hello all

Only today i heard a very low (almost inaudible) whine/squeak when i was turning the steering wheel in a car park (almost stationary speed). Been reading about the noise and seems it could be low power steering pump fluid or some trapped air (also probably due to low fluid).

I opened the engine bay to check level of fluid but could not find the reservoir! I also consulted the official manual but the reservoir for the power steering fluid is not shown!

Can anyone please tell me where this reservoir is located!

Many thanks

Jalees

Re: Power Steering Fluid Reservoir location - Where is it?!

Post by Jalees » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi,

Most modern cars now have electric power assisted steering wheel. So no hydraulics so you wont see power steering pump or the reservoir for oil.
And F Pace also uses EPAS maintenance free thing.

Screenshot_20190711-121311_Drive.jpg

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ
MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

jeffreywoodham

Post by jeffreywoodham » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 pm

You do not mention which car you have but for my MY18 25T the manual says it is underneath the engine cover. Photo attached.

BB6DE9AF-B60D-468E-8C5A-12FB55DF86BC.png

2018 25t Portfolio, BRG, Siena, Privacy, Configurable Dynamics, Infra Red Screen

templar77

Post by templar77 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm

thanks both. @jeffrey. I cant see from the image you sent reference to the steering wheel fluid/ engine cover etc.

So in an EPAS system there is no sterring puml and related hydraulic? Is it all electrical? the whining noise is similar to the one you get on a PS4 wheel but it is barely audible at the moment.

My Car is Diesel 2litre 2017 Portfolio

Jalees

Post by Jalees » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi,

Yes it would be all electric so no pump no oil.
I think you would hear a bit of whining noise due to electric motor coming into action to assist, but if it's too much then get it checked or if you feel any change in steering wheel behaviour like heavy or something other than that I don't know.
Not sure about current jaguar but had a Honda with such steering wheel and it mentioned if you feel steering heavy or something abnormal with it a light might come up, haven't checked in jaguar if there is any warning light, I am guessing there should be if it's malfunctioning a message or warning light to indicate.
Also found this in fuse box section for steering wheel.

Screenshot_20190711-141409_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks.

Regards,
KJ

Screenshot_20190711-141440_Samsung Internet.jpg

MY18 F Pace, 25t R sport, Firenze red, and some options.
Ex owner of Mercedes C200 AMG Line premium plus. I keep comparing the options and get disappointed sometimes JAG is missing out from half priced car.

jeffreywoodham

Post by jeffreywoodham » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm

templar77 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 pm
thanks both. @jeffrey. I cant see from the image you sent reference to the steering wheel fluid/ engine cover etc.

So in an EPAS system there is no sterring puml and related hydraulic? Is it all electrical? the whining noise is similar to the one you get on a PS4 wheel but it is barely audible at the moment.

My Car is Diesel 2litre 2017 Portfolio
You are quite right and I apologise for not reading it closely enough.
2018 25t Portfolio, BRG, Siena, Privacy, Configurable Dynamics, Infra Red Screen

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”