Software updates over the air

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Reggraham

Software updates over the air

Post by Reggraham » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Finally got this today, it's been nearly a year since I ordered my car and was told then I'd be able to do updates over the air

INTRODUCING WIRELESS SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR YOUR JAGUAR
In the next few months we’ll be launching our first wireless software update* for your car. Software updates provide a way of updating core software on your car at your convenience in order to maintain and improve its capabilities without the need to visit a retailer.
Initial software updates cover minor bug fixes in the infotainment system to improve the performance and functionality however further releases will include updates to your Jaguar’s Telematics system. When an update becomes available, you will receive a pop-up notification on the infotainment - you can also check for updates through the Settings Menu.
EASY TO ACTIVATE
In order to receive software updates, you will need this feature switched on in your car. This can be done through the Settings Menu > Software Updates > On/Off - you'll also need to accept the terms and conditions.

Hopefully this will allow JLR to get software out the fixes all the little niggles people have with the Infotainment. All it states is you will need to connect to WiFi or have a personal SIM installed.

Can't wait to try it.
F-Pace Portfolio MY19 25T Yulong While/Light Oyster 20" wheels, Park Pack, Drive Pack, Touch Pro nav pack
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic MY15 Firenze Red Black Pack, Park Pack

lozpace

Re: Software updates over the air

Post by lozpace » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Lets hope this is sooner rather than later it will prevent all the visits back to the service department.
F Pace February 2018
2.0 litre 180ps AWD Automaic Portfolio, Santorini Black, 19” 5038 Wheels, Privacy Glass, ICTP 380watt, Heated Steering Wheel, Space Saver Spare, 4 way lumber, InControl Secure Tracker, Service Pack.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:27 pm

A great idea and a way to solve people who do not live local to a dealer, this will also save Jaguar having to pay dealers to do the updates, my only worry if there was one is what happens if the update does not work correctly, members on here have had issues with updates when the car is at the dealers.

Fingers crossed they have thought of what happens if it fails.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Rusk

Post by Rusk » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:19 am

This will be very useful but do you have to be up to a certain firmware for this option to be available? I assume it won't just appear for everyone.

June16

Post by June16 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Over on the DS forum it only applies to those with Wi-fi /sim but it looks like they sent it to everyone.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Reggraham

Post by Reggraham » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm

It does require either WiFi or a SIM installed using WiFi for most will be the better option unless you are paying for a large monthly megabyte allowance. I reckon the download will be at least 2Gb maybe more depending on the update. If it works anything like apple updates it downloads then verifies before starting to upgrade so the engine will probably need to be running throughout just as with the map update. That will be the reason that these updates will be restricted to infotainment and telematics because all other modules on the cars internal networks have to be updated when the ignition is on but the engine is off.
F-Pace Portfolio MY19 25T Yulong While/Light Oyster 20" wheels, Park Pack, Drive Pack, Touch Pro nav pack

JOCK55

Post by JOCK55 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:46 am

Reggraham wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm
It does require either WiFi or a SIM installed using WiFi for most will be the better option unless you are paying for a large monthly megabyte allowance.
It does say on the Jaguar Website that Software updates downloaded using the "supplied" SIM (from this I infer the Ubigi SIM) will not incur charges! I'll believe that when I see it!!!
MY19 R-SPORT, Caesium Blue, Ingenium i4 300PS Turbo Petrol, AWD with all the bells and whistles.

p3eps

Post by p3eps » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:56 am

The cars have 2 sims in them...
One is the Ubigi (or whatever you use) for traffic updates, streaming music, internet etc... and the other is built in somewhere and is used for remote start, sending fuel / mileage etc to the app.

If there’s no data charge for the OTA updates, then it’ll probably be using the ‘built in’ SIM.
F-Pace SVR - Collected 15/3/19

Reggraham

Post by Reggraham » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 am

It won't be using the inbuilt SIM the email stated WiFi or have a personal SIM installed, so that means it will incur charges on either your home WiFi ( or Starbucks if you can park close enough) or your charges incurred on your SIM for data download.

I'm lucky I have unlimited WiFi and I can pick it up where the car is parked, or I can swap my SIM for one I use on my mobile WiFi which has a stupid 40GB a month MAX which I never use the limit on the one I have in the car at the moment is a 200Mb free allowance which I rarely use. I think WiFi will be the best option as even with my mobile SIM at home the signal is affected by weather conditions.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:25 pm

seeing as it currently takes on average about 3 hours to update the ICTP software each time, does this mean that the car can't 'shut down' while it's updating?

How will that work? Will the engine need to be running? Doors unlocked? A Cornish pasty up the exhaust pipe?

I look forward to this with a sense of glee and excitement that I normally only reserve for the drying of emulsion paint.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”