DPF regeneration

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Deltasierra

DPF regeneration

Post by Deltasierra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:00 am

Does anybody know how the DPF regeneration is supposed to work, as far as I have found out there is an " active" and a "passive" regeneration that need 20 mins at moderate rpm to complete but how often?.

There are a lot of cars that do short journeys that have a problem needing servicing every 4000 miles or so, Disco 5s seem to be very prone. All JLR say is that it is your driving style, why can't they just be honest for a change and say you need to drive for 20 mins without a break once a week or (whatever) to regenerate the DPF. It's not just JLR all brands have the problem

Or are they being deliberately dishonest in order to generate more service work for the dealers who will of course be complicit.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

catwoman

Re: DPF regeneration

Post by catwoman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am

I have not seen any reports on this particular forum from members requiring their cars to be serviced every 4000 miles or so because of any DPF regen problems.

Not quite sure what you mean by "passive" and "active" regeneration, what would be the distinction between the two? On the F-Pace the process is completely autonomous, managed by the car's systems, not something the driver can deliberately initiate. The key thing though is to drive the car sufficiently long enough for it to warm up to full operating temperature for at least 20 minutes, preferably longer. Living out in the northern wilds of Yorkshire, I hardly ever make short journeys of less than half an hour in mine, my regular journeys are 12 miles minimum and more often quite a lot further than that, say 25 miles.

I do agree with you that the whole issue is confusing and lacks clarity as to what is best practice. I find it strange that during the two and a half years I have been driving mine I have never once seen a red, amber, or green dashboard warning light to indicate that the DPF regen process is either required or in progress. To my mind, the online owner's manual is not clear enough on when, or even whether, you would normally expect to see such a warning light.
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

Mine has done nearly 6k since April. Quite a lot of short journeys but I do have longer journeys up to 2 hours at the weekend. Service indicator shows another 5.5k until next service so that will be around 12 months. Never seen any DPF lights of any colour but have made sure I do a good 30 minute journey over 50 miles an hour every two weeks or so and I am conscious of the need to make sure I do that. I believe the process is automatic if the exhaust system reaches the right temperature for long enough. If I understand correctly you will only see green, amber and red warnings if there needs to be a forced regeneration - ie you get an amber warning that the DPF needs cleaning then a green when it has been regenerated. I think I have read that regeneration can take place at lower speeds but it just takes longer key thing is exhaust must be at normal temperature for long enough:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=euVnAvl88U8
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 am

I have been checking out the Disco 5 forum where there are issues with low mileage cars including a friend with one of those, he does home to work 3 miles each way and little distance driving regularly. Apparently at his dealership there are 12 D5s with the same problem, he has issued a rejection and is waiting for action.

My 3.0D FPace has the same engine, I do short journeys but once a week I do a 1 hour plus fast trip so I think I am OK, it would be nice of JLR to actually say what " style" of driving is needed for correct operation. I think quite a lot of owners would be happy to do an extra longer trip and save several hundred pounds on frequent services, certainly my car invites driving the long way round, maybe adding 15 mins to an existing trip.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 am

I've run my 3.0Ds for 22 months and covered 35,000 miles - mostly 20 mile plus journeys. Never had a DPF issue and getting c 16,000 miles between services so seems how you run them makes a big difference.

If someone buys a 2 ton diesel truck to drive it 3 miles a day I'm not surprised they are having some issues...
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 am

Not heard of that service problem on this forum. Jaguar do give guidance on petrol vs diesel choice and driving styles and these days there is a lot in the motoring press about diesel not being a good choice for cars that spend most of their lives in an urban/short journey environment. I can remember published information even 10 years ago about diesel being more appropriate for higher mileage vehicles and that was when it was a "clean" fuel. I think as owners we have to take some responsibility for our purchasing decisions and it can't all be the manufacturers fault ;)

www.jaguar.co.uk/about-jaguar/jaguar-st ... iesel.html
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

frogmill0

Post by frogmill0 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:13 pm

In these days of advanced technology and instrument panels showing all manner of driver information, it's always seemed strange to me that there isn't a visual indication that the DPF is regenerating.

Bearing in mind that the regeneration process uses extra fuel you can sometimes guess that it's in progress by checking the trip computer, viz if you put it in average fuel consumption mode and the figure drops when you would expect it to remain constant e.g. when you're cruising. That's rather a hit and miss method, though - a warning light or message would be much better.
3.0d 'S' in Rhodium Silver. ICTPro, 825w Meridian, Cold Climate pack, 14 way memory seats, pan roof.

June16

Post by June16 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:56 am

All the vehicles mentioned in the document have regeneration problems.

On the Discovery Sport. Evoque this is due to the DPF (SCRF) being too far up the back of the car and thus getting insufficient heat to perform efficiently . So it regenerates more often , needs longer to regenerate , and fails to regenerate fully .

JLR issued a bulletin blaming driving style.
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/down ... hp?id=5997

Note this doc is out of date as the issue on the Discovery Sport 2L also affects MY18 and MY 19

On the FPace 2L the DPF is close coupled to the engine and is a different design and works well.
No diesel likes short runs , if EU6 compliant , this is even more profound. However poor design does not help one iota.

Thousands of posts on oil dilution due to excessive regenerations in the DS.
https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/view ... =17&t=5379
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”