Replace my 22inch with 20inch wheels?

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Blaugrana

Replace my 22inch with 20inch wheels?

Post by Blaugrana » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi,

I’m think about changing my 22inch black helix wheels for 20 inch silver wheels... (for more driving comfort and less tire pressure issues)

Did anyone did this too? Is it really more comfort?
2.0d Storm Grey, Black Pack, Pano roof black rails, 22" Black Double Helix, Leather seats, Jet, 380w, Adaptive dynamics pack, configurable dynamics, Privacy glass, Incontrol Connect Touch Pro, Active Key, Black roof rails

Jagfpacejk

Re: Replace my 22inch with 20inch wheels?

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:41 pm

I tried the 20 inch wheels and the 22 inch wheels and to be honest the difference was hardly noticeable, think your best bet if possible is to try a car with the 20 inch wheels first as it may save you some money.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Agree on this. Not sure the difference is that noticeable and to be honest but having had quite firm saloon car suspension before I prefer the ride of the 22 inch wheels. There was a bit too much wallowing around on the 20 inch wheels for me. Be interested to know if this is your first SUV? They do ride differently to a saloon especially over bumps.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

DjP

Post by DjP » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:46 am

I opted for the smallest wheels I could get on my 3.0 petrol S (I think 20"?) As far as I can tell the main benefit of big wheels is what it looks like and this is fair outweighed by the downsides: higher propensity to curb the wheels, harder ride, lower margins on pressure etc

I road tested "big" and "small" wheels and I preferred the smaller rims, but I had a bias going in, so I don't know how scientific this test was :)
I do know I'd buy the same size wheels again
DjP

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm

I would also buy the same wheel sizes again. No question. Corner better. Less rock and roll. Look better. Drive carefully and avoid the kerbs :lol:

I drove a rental 3.0d S for three days on 20" wheels (all of which had been kerbed by the way!!) when making up my mind to buy and my partner, who had a mini cooper S then, was so shocked at the "bounce" the car exhibited over low speed traffic humps she almost vetoed the decision :roll: .

I had an Audi A6 SLine previously and I would say the 22" rims behave in a similar fashion to the wheels on that but not quite as firm in the ride. To be honest I really did not like the ride on the 20" wheels at all and it reminded me of big Muir Hill/Ford/Massey Ferguson tractors I used to drive as a student with counterbalance weights on the front - they would rock and roll a lot as the road speed went up...

Save your money and stay looking cool :D
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:07 pm

Now this is a 4x4 - no counter weights on this one though :D

Apologies for going briefly off thread

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”