F-Pace & LR 3.0 lt. V6 Diesel - Oil & Filter Test Anomalies?

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Deltasierra

Re: F-Pace & LR 3.0 lt. V6 Diesel - Oil & Filter Test Anomalies?

Post by Deltasierra » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am

A few comments on the DPF issues

June16 regenerating outline, was interesting in that time of year affected length of time taken to complete

Injecting fuel post turbo , would the exhaust gas be hot enough to ignite the fuel and burn efficiently ?

D5 issues are reputedly caused by DPF at rear of vehicle, where is 3.0d F Pace DPF ?

Mine called for service at 9k but that was 12 months anyway.

Interesting Bladerunners findings maybe I'll draw a sample off at about 7k since service and get it checked.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:35 am

I will continue to change oil at 5- 6,000 on all 3.0 V6 Diesel JLR Vehicles - this is reinforced by Oil Test result values around 1-3% Diesel Dilution, those vehicles with higher levels 3-7% plus - I believe is due to short/local runs which result in low exhaust temps, thus not allowing complete regen etc. which in turn leads to blocked DPF units, my service history confirms that vehicles driving 1 hr. plus daily highway miles are returning better/lower Dilution levels, I still prefer to change mine at 5,000 and will continue to do so.

Conclusion: I would like to have a "very" long relationship with my own vehicle so I will continue and recommend service practices above, I hope this helps?.

Jasonfpace

Post by Jasonfpace » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 am

Hi all,

Just to add, my 3l V6 was in for an oil change last week, previous service was in September. Have only done approx 4000 miles so very disappointed it needed an oil change. My father has same engine in the new disco and has had 2 oil changes and a service in just over a year. JLR have covered the cost but once they decide they won’t do this then at £300-£350 each change it gets expensive.

For me it’s clear they have a problem.

Anyone else had to have oil changes with this engine in between services?
White 3.0d, black/red seats and black roof, privacy glass, black pack, 22" double helix, panoramic sliding roof, cup holder cover and rear release lever.

Telemarkskier

Post by Telemarkskier » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 am

Has the new discovery sport, yet to be released/new evoque, now available to order got new exhaust SCRF architecture?

June16

Post by June16 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Telemarkskier wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 am
Has the new discovery sport, yet to be released/new evoque, now available to order got new exhaust SCRF architecture?
The jury is out on that one over on the DS forum , no ones managed to look underneath the new Evoque yet.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:51 am

Jasonfpace wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:02 am
Hi all,

Just to add, my 3l V6 was in for an oil change last week, previous service was in September. Have only done approx 4000 miles so very disappointed it needed an oil change. My father has same engine in the new disco and has had 2 oil changes and a service in just over a year. JLR have covered the cost but once they decide they won’t do this then at £300-£350 each change it gets expensive.

For me it’s clear they have a problem.

Anyone else had to have oil changes with this engine in between services?
Have you been doing a lot of short journeys, some are saying that it takes 30 to 40 mins of continuous driving to regenerate the DPF otherwise it starts from scratch, so if you’re doing all journeys less than say 20 miles it’s trying to regenerate continuously .
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 am

Apologies for resurrecting an old issue.

I've run my F-Pace 3.0d for over 27 months. There have been some electrical gremlins but the mechanicals have been faultless. Service intervals have been as expected for the 3.0d 16k and 32k miles.

I have covered 12k miles since he last service in September 2018. A couple of weeks ago the countdown to service appeared with the mileage fluctuating and rapidly reducing and last week the service due indicator appeared 4k miles short of the usual service interval. I dropped it into the dealer today whose initial view was that this was due to oil dilution. The dealer said this was probably due to a change in driving style and excessive DPF regeneration but my driving pattern / style is unchanged - mostly high speed, dual carriageway / motorway journeys over 20 miles.

They are reporting back today after they have done some testing buts its disappointing that this issue has cropped up over 2 years into ownership. It's a brave buyer who has one of these outside warranty!
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

June16

Post by June16 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Over on the Discovery Sport where this has been a more serious oil dilution issue JLR issued a bulletin stating to drive passed the service indicator warning could cause catastrophic engine damage. The oil and filter had to be changed.
The warning at time if issue if the bulletin was set a 6% dilution.

JLR then released an update so the warning would not show until 10% dilution 😳😳
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:43 pm

nphe9974 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:42 am
They are reporting back today after they have done some testing buts its disappointing that this issue has cropped up over 2 years into ownership. It's a brave buyer who has one of these outside warranty!
So the dilution level was 6.9 so they’ve done the service and oil change 147 days / 4000 miles before scheduled. No idea why it’s happened now after over 2 years trouble free.
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Fri May 03, 2019 7:37 pm

My annual service was booked in March at about 9,400 miles on the clock and soon afterwards the service countdown appeared. Service was booked for April 23rd and there was quite a wait. In the end the countdown had disappeared by 10,200 miles and service was carried out at 12 months. I must say this is somewhat different to my old Audi A6 Avant diesel....it used to managed 16,000 on the variable service interval before needing a visit to the dealer. My service just about coincided with 12 months but my driving profile is a mix of short, medium and longer journeys which I would argue is pretty normal...
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”