Leak in Passenger Footwell

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
nphe9974

Leak in Passenger Footwell

Post by nphe9974 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 pm

So, just noticed today that water is leaking into the passenger footwell when the car has stood outside in heavy rain. The floor mat is absolutely soaked.

I see others have had an issue with the washer fluid leaking but this is a different issue as the washer bottle is full.

Has anyone had anything similar?

I guess it’s another example of poor design / shoddy JLR workmanship.
F-Pace 3.0 d S, Ammonite Grey, ICTP

June16

Re: Leak in Passenger Footwell

Post by June16 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Hi
I was reading about one on the USA forum just the other day
If this is any use.

https://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/f-pace ... -door.html

And sunroofvdrain holes if you have a sunroof is another issue.
https://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/interi ... nside.html

Could also be windscreen not sealed , my old car leaked through the windscreen and ran down inside the A pillar , I only found the leak after putting some blue roll absorbent paper under the a pillar and found the the fuse box soaked.my floor was absolutely soaking from that, it also ran through to back seat floor through capillary action of the carpet.

Defiantly a dealer visit
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:23 am

Thanks for the link, I don’t have a sunroof and suspect it is a blocked drainage channel somewhere.

As you say, dealer visit needed so will see what they say.

June16

Post by June16 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:56 am

It could also be a blocked air conditioning drain .
It’s supposed to drain out under the Car , in most cars it connects through the centre tunnel behind the carpet to the outside underneath. But that would only leak if aircon is on.

I had an old Volvo that had a faulty windscreen that ran down the inside of the A pillar. I sucked the water out with a vax then put a dehumidifier in the car to suck out moisture in the air, plugged it in put it in the car and shut the door 😀.
Carpets were 2 inches thick on the backing with sponge foam , it soaked all the way to the back before I even noticed it in the front seat . The only thing I noticed was condensation on windscreen on a warm day.

Then sold it!
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 pm

If you do not know where it is coming from you could try running a hose and getting someone to sit in the car and see if they can spot where it is coming from.

Just an idea.

If the carpet is soaked then your need to get it dry as there is all sorts of electrical connections under the carpet, I found that out when one of my cars washer fluid pipes leaked the whole water bottle into the driver footwell.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

dmi

Post by dmi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi...my May ‘18 F Pace 3.0d S has the same problem! Though it’s the drivers footwell that gets soaked after the car is stood in heavy rain. Now on my second trip to dealer over this. They have had the car for the week and are still trying to isolate the leak, but have managed to make it leak during their tests this second time around. The water drips down behind the steering column into the footwell. If it is not resolved this time I intend to reject the car.

Did you get your leak fixed and if so what was causing the problem? Thanks.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:43 pm

dmi wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:40 pm
Hi...my May ‘18 F Pace 3.0d S has the same problem! Though it’s the drivers footwell that gets soaked after the car is stood in heavy rain. Now on my second trip to dealer over this. They have had the car for the week and are still trying to isolate the leak, but have managed to make it leak during their tests this second time around. The water drips down behind the steering column into the footwell. If it is not resolved this time I intend to reject the car.

Mine did this and it was the windscreen washer bottle hose that runs to the back of the car, it is put together in small sections and held together with cheap clips, one of the clips had broken meaning the washer bottle leaked into the car, get them to check it’s not the same issue.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

nphe9974

Post by nphe9974 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:41 am

dmi wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:40 pm

I never did get a good explanation. The car had stood for 3 weeks when we were away on holiday and I noticed the leak in heavy rain when I started using it again. I booked the car into the dealer for this to be checked at the same time as the 36000 mile service. It was a month before they could fit me in with a courtesy car by which time the leak had stopped. I put it down to a blocked drain caused by the car sitting unused for 3 weeks that had then cleared itself.

The dealer couldn’t find the leak until they completed the service and changed the pollen filter. When they removed it, a load of water came was backed up behind it. The dealer told me they then “fixed the leak” which tbh I’m not convinced about.

Anyway, it hasn’t happened since, some sort of blocked drain sounds the most likely to me.

Hope this helps, be interested in how you get on.

dmi

Post by dmi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks for your replies. I will ask the dealer about those items. This is the third time it has leaked. Will let you know what happens with it...

dmi

Post by dmi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Hi...my footwell leak has seemingly been fixed by replacing the windscreen. There was found to be a small piece of foam type material stuck in between the glass and bodywork compromising the seal, that must have happened at the time of manufacture.

In water tests since apparently it no longer leaks, whereas beforehand they could recreate the leak...

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”