Car didn't start - possible battery/charging issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Deltasierra

Re: Car didn't start - possible battery/charging issue

Post by Deltasierra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:18 pm

My battery was changed and no problem since, luckily I was at home when it failed and Jaguar Assist was quick.
I am surprised that it costs £700 to replace, it looked exactly like a normal L/A battery, I must check the codes on the battery.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:18 pm
My battery was changed and no problem since, luckily I was at home when it failed and Jaguar Assist was quick.
I am surprised that it costs £700 to replace, it looked exactly like a normal L/A battery, I must check the codes on the battery.
It is in fact a sealed AGM battery, a premium brand replacement can be bought for £200 or less with 5 yr warranty. That sounds much more sensible.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Quick update, and this worries me a lot...

The service representative have advised that they have resolved the issue, that due to a ‘loose earth’ connection the battery was not charging as it should. They explained that they have fully charged the battery and that they have thoroughly tested the systems but the battery was not fault....
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Blucat,

That does sound feasible and hopefully the battery wasn't discharged too far that it suffered any permanent damage.

On telecomms systems that I have designed and worked on the batteries are protected by a low voltage disconnect system to prevent excessive discharge damage when the charging system fails, I don't know if cars have similar protection built in.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

June16

Post by June16 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 pm

Deltasierra wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Deltasierra wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:18 pm
It is in fact a sealed AGM battery, a premium brand replacement can be bought for £200 or less with 5 yr warranty. That sounds much more sensible.
Sounds like JlR standard mark up then.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Jim wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Blucat,

That does sound feasible and hopefully the battery wasn't discharged too far that it suffered any permanent damage.

On telecomms systems that I have designed and worked on the batteries are protected by a low voltage disconnect system to prevent excessive discharge damage when the charging system fails, I don't know if cars have similar protection built in.
Hmmm, this 'loose earth' seems to turn up on the XE forum posts... if that's all it is, just fingers crossed is not a faulty charge management system
MY19 Rsport 25t Blue, 19Fans, Oyster & lime, Grey Ash, 18way mem, Surround Cam, Meridian, HtdWScreen, Pano, Privacy, 350Brakes, suede lining, skinny spare

June16

Post by June16 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Blucat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 pm
Jim wrote:
Blucat,

Hmmm, this 'loose earth' seems to turn up on the XE forum posts... if that's all it is, just fingers crossed is not a faulty charge management system
Did they say which earth connection it was?
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Blucat

Post by Blucat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 pm

June16 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 pm
Blucat wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:46 pm
Jim wrote:
Blucat,

Did they say which earth connection it was?
No, but I pick up the car tomorrow, so will request a description of all work as carried out.

Blucat

Re: Car didn't start - possible battery/charging issue/earth wire

Post by Blucat » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Blucat wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:05 pm
So, I was hoping to be typing a fluffy love letter style post regarding my introduction to my new MY19 25t FPace, however the honeymoon is truly over with a double thump.

So, only had the car two weeks, covered just 250miles. Decided to go for a drive Saturday, stopped for petrol, got back in car and it wouldn't start. Foot on brake press engine start, dashboard lights and needle sweeps but no ignition and no engine revs.
This is repeated a few times, I'm thinking what am I doing wrong. But after a few attempts start to get autobraking and low battery messages. But car is not budging, and I'm sat at a pretrol pump with no way to move the car.

Jaguar assist were downright unhelpful, initial job estimate of 2-4hrs was rejected and then was referred to AA, who thankfully came out in 30mins, and basically had to jump start the car from boot battery terminals after confirming unstable voltage readings. After 30mins of testing and attempted charging, he reckons could be fault battery or charging system.

After 2hours ordeal, drove the car home as too late to get to dealers, and got the car into garage today, but car barely turned over after an overnight after the AA man had said the battery was sitting with 70 charge. There is something definitely wrong with the battery in that it's not holding charge, or the car or charge management system is draining it.

Next kick in the preverbials came today (sunday) at the dealers when Jaguar Assist would not provide a courtesy car because the AA engineer reported it as a faulty battery - no I'm not kidding - if your FPace has a faulty battery you will not be entitled to onward mobility cover, no supervisors to talk to no one else with common sense, and no car available from the dealership ... simply unbelievably poor and unhelpful service from JA.

It was a horrible breakdown experience to start with, but now infuriating after the JA treatment. But now extremely concerned that my FPace is possibly going to be unreliable if this can't be sorted and is certainly not "fit for purpose".

I've attached phone pics of car error messages in case anyone else sees or has seen them before.

I've read the horror stories same as everyone else on here, but thinking surely that cannot be, however as I found out for myself, sometimes the truth is simply incredulous...

The car is at the dealers and will update on outcome...

June16

Post by June16 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:23 am

Interesting thread on USA forum too re flat batteries.

https://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/engine ... ngine.html

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”