DAB reception

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
K187

DAB reception

Post by K187 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:44 am

Hi all,

So I noticed the DAB reception is really bad on this vs my previous cars. The in control is pre ‘helmet’ and quite old - I’ll have it upgraded at the next service in July.

Has anyone else noticed this? Will the software upgrade fix this (possibly change the thresholds it will cut out at), is this normal, or should I get jaguar to look at it?

Also the in control is freezing a lot but that’s all been covered on the ict patch 3 thread

catwoman

Re: DAB reception

Post by catwoman » Thu May 31, 2018 9:01 am

Is it bad across all stations, or are some worse than others?

TBH, no worse on this car than my previous vehicles. I find the BBC stations reception is really good and consistent, which is fine for me 'cos they're the ones I listen to most, but smaller commercial stations can be patchy . . . not sure if it's the vehicle's DAB equipment or the strength of the station signal, or maybe even weather conditions that all play a part.
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Felixstowe

Post by Felixstowe » Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 am

I must admit i am finding DAB reception quite poor in my F Pace. I had an XF before this car with the in-control (not pro) and reception was fairly good. In the F Pace the signal keeps dropping (just for a second or two) and then comes back again. My car is in for the ICTP update on Monday, i'll let you know if it makes any difference.
F Pace R-Sport 2.0D AWD, M/Y 18, Black pack, memory seats, Glass roof, ITCP, 22” wheels. plus a few other bits!
Previously:
XF, XE, XJ, S Type and the first car X Type.

MrPix

Post by MrPix » Thu May 31, 2018 10:05 am

I notice longer dropouts in known poor reception spots on the F-Pace vs the past 3 DAB enabled vehicles over 6 years. I put it down to the aerial not being quite so good as the Merc ones I have had. For example, in one area on a weekly journey, I used to get about 2 minutes complete silence, now it starts 1 minute earlier in the journey (about half a mile) and finishes about a minute later than before. It's also more common in the F-Pace to get many more short dropouts that last a second or so, not something that happened in previous cars. This is Radio 2 or Radio 4, so they normally have belting transmitters with great coverage, so it has to be the aerial/DAB unit in the F-Pace. Technology!

EDIT: Already had the update and of course it made no difference, hence why I think its just the way it is and nothing could be done save for better equipment (aerial or receiver).

EDIT 2: Had an XF 6 years ago and can't say I ever noticed a drop out, but my journeys were different then too, so difficult to compare.

EDIT 3: since the update I have had only 1 occasion where ICTP failed... I had zero audio (completely) for 2 hours. No matter how many times I turned the ignition and audio on/off, opened windows and closed them, locked the car and opened it, still no audio. Left the car for a couple of hours and it came back, no trouble since
Jan '18 F-Pace S Supercharged V6, Santorini Black, Pimento/Ebony/Jet, Black Pack, 20" Black Venom/ 18" 15 spoke, Privacy Glass, ICTP, LED headlights, configurable moods, cooled gloves, heated wheel & supported lumbar.

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Thu May 31, 2018 10:15 am

My previous Evoque had more drop outs and dead spots than the F-Pace seems to . . . on same routes. Mine is through standard ICT. If there is an issue it's likely to be hardware related (aerial, amplifier, etc), updates to software probably won't solve. BBC stations definitely have stronger signal than other stations though, agreed.
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Thu May 31, 2018 10:51 am

MrPix wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:05 am
I notice longer dropouts in known poor reception spots on the F-Pace vs the past 3 DAB enabled vehicles over 6 years. I put it down to the aerial not being quite so good as the Merc ones I have had. For example, in one area on a weekly journey, I used to get about 2 minutes complete silence, now it starts 1 minute earlier in the journey (about half a mile) and finishes about a minute later than before. It's also more common in the F-Pace to get many more short dropouts that last a second or so, not something that happened in previous cars. This is Radio 2 or Radio 4, so they normally have belting transmitters with great coverage, so it has to be the aerial/DAB unit in the F-Pace. Technology!

EDIT: Already had the update and of course it made no difference, hence why I think its just the way it is and nothing could be done save for better equipment (aerial or receiver).

EDIT 2: Had an XF 6 years ago and can't say I ever noticed a drop out, but my journeys were different then too, so difficult to compare.

EDIT 3: since the update I have had only 1 occasion where ICTP failed... I had zero audio (completely) for 2 hours. No matter how many times I turned the ignition and audio on/off, opened windows and closed them, locked the car and opened it, still no audio. Left the car for a couple of hours and it came back, no trouble since
Re EDIT 3

I get this as well. Happened before and after the ictp upgrade.

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

K187

Post by K187 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 am

I’m seeing exactly the same as you all describe Drop outs more often or longer than previous cars in the same low reception areas. This is with BBC stations too.

I’ll get the ICTP upgrade at the service anyway (btw do I just need to tell them when I book it in or is it worth notifying them well in advance?).

I was hoping the software update might have fixed it - I’ll mention it to them anyway and see what they do - probabaly nothing!

This car has such an old ICTP software version It’s hard to know what’s because of that or because of limitations of the car.

Maybe I’ll have to use internet radio instead for those journeys - at least that buffers.

I

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Thu May 31, 2018 11:27 am

K187 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:12 am

I’ll get the ICTP upgrade at the service anyway (btw do I just need to tell them when I book it in or is it worth notifying them well in advance?).
I would discuss with the service manager at your dealer before you book it in. I doubt they will just do the upgrade without understanding why.

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

deeceebee

Post by deeceebee » Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm

ICTP replacement was only solution for me. Try as they may, Jaguar tried everything to fix the unit but it was still ratty and I never knew if it would work next time I drive the car.
Since its replacement and the latest upgrade, all is fine.
Mine was a July 2017 delivery and was ratty from the beginning but no probs now.
MY2018 25T F Sport, Carpathian Grey, navigation pro, privacy glass, ambient lighting, space saver, 5 year service plan and a few other goodies, courtesy of dealer.

SteveBrands

Post by SteveBrands » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 pm

My DAB radio jumps like an old record player and repeats the last few seconds that have just played !!
It does this about every 10 15 mins

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”