Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
nusreddy

Re: Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Post by nusreddy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Forgot to mention. Jaguar offered to upgrade the wheels from 19 to 22 inch at the cost of £2880.
Why would they supply car with 19 inch wheels and pzero pirelli summer tyres in first place ?

mik

Post by mik » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 pm

I think moving to 22” will only worsen the problem.

I don’t understand your question though. There are plenty of cars on the road with 19” summer tyres on them. Even premium brands like Pirelli.
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

XERoy

Post by XERoy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm

nusreddy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm
I got a call from Jaguar Customer relations, they are claiming its a feature of the vehicle. I cant imagine someone could admit by considering the severity of the problem.

Could some one from Jaguar admit that they can drive my car with severe slipping problem(as demonstrated in the video) which occurs 6 times a day, with kids sitting at rear ?

What should I do now? Please advise.
Buy some winter tyres.
2.0d R Sport 4WD, Ultimate Black, 22inch Turbines, Jet interior with oyster stitching, Privacy glass, Black pack, ear to ear grin :D

MrPix

Post by MrPix » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:18 pm

mik wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:18 pm
I think moving to 22” will only worsen the problem.

I don’t understand your question though. There are plenty of cars on the road with 19” summer tyres on them. Even premium brands like Pirelli.
I agree based on my experience over the past 8 years with high performance cars and relatively low profile, firm side walled (XL) high performance summer tyres in the colder months, the larger the rim, the more the problem seems to show in the colder months when using high performance summer tyres, but it's not the only factor.

I previously had a Merc 5.4l v8 with large rims and low profile Continental ContiSport Contact 5p's and they slipped just like in nusreddy's videotube when on full lock within the first mile or so, after they had warmed up a bit, it was far less if at all. I thought there was something wrong with my driving... but when I put some winter tyres on some smaller diameter rims, the problem went away completely and I realised the problem was a combination of factors, not my driving at all. A couple of years on after swapping to winter tyres Nov to March and back to the Conti's for the summer I got a new AMG powered small SUV... the slipping started as the temperature dropped. It had the same type of high performance summer tyres on, again with a relatively low profile and firm sidewalls. Again when I swapped to smaller rims and winter tyres with a less firm higher sidewall the problem went away every year for 3 years during November to March. I concluded it was mainly the compound of the high performance summer tyres that was the problem, having a low profile with firm sidewalls just exasperated the problem.

Now I have the F-Pace and blow me down with a feather, when I picked 'Baggy' up, he was stood proud atop two pairs of the finest 20" Continental ContiSport Contact 5p's... my heart sank and I thought I would have the same problem but after a couple of weeks, I'm happy to report it's not so bad as my 2 previous motors and only slips on full lock for a few minutes before they are warm enough. The profile seems large enough to limit the problem to those first few minutes of driving.

Prior to the 2 Mercs, I had and XF S 3.0 v6 with 20" rims and low profile Pirelli P Zeros and they had exactly the same problem in the colder months. I swapped to Vredstein Summer Tyres and again the problem went away, even in the winter. At that time, I had not fully realised what the problem was.

I was fully prepared to get 18" rims and clad them with appropriate winter tyres when I picked up 'Baggy' a few weeks ago, but I'm holding my breath hoping that I will be OK.

In conclusion and my experience, its a combination of temperature tyre compound, profile and rim firmness that seems to lead to this slipping effect. It only happens a lot when all of the factors are fighting against the odds:
Temperature constantly below 7 degrees C + High performance summer tyres + Relatively low profile tyres + Firm sidewall tyres (XL or runflat seem to be the worse) = slipping on or near full lock, particularly when turning out of a road on an incline.

Winter tyres is the answer I'm pretty sure or altering the combination of what you have, but if it still happens after fitting them... then Houston, we have a problem!
Baggy (short for Bagheera): Jan '18 F-Pace S Petrol, Santorini Black, Pimento/Ebony/Jet, Black Pack, 20" Black Venom, Privacy Glass, ICTP, LED headlights, configurable moods, cooled gloves, heated wheel & supported lumbar.

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm

If I was absolutely convinced there was something not right about the car's geometry set-up I'd have booked an accompanied test drive with a Dealer Service Technician sitting alongside to personally demonstrate the severity to them. Suggest you arrange a mutually convenient time with them and insist on going for a ten minute accompanied test drive, see what the technician thinks, face-to-face.
8-) . . since July '16: 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

lozpace

Post by lozpace » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Some tyre fitting companies will do a free four wheel tracking check giving you a print out of the results, this is in hope you will then pay for the adjustment. Phone a few up and see if one will do this for you, if it is out drop the paperwork onto the dealer principals desk and tell him to sort it out FOC.
F Pace February 2018
2.0 litre 180ps AWD Automaic Portfolio, Santorini Black, 19” 5038 Wheels, Privacy Glass, ICTP 380watt, Heated Steering Wheel, Space Saver Spare, 4 way lumber, InControl Secure Tracker, Service Pack.

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm

nusreddy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm
Forgot to mention. Jaguar offered to upgrade the wheels from 19 to 22 inch at the cost of £2880.
Why would they supply car with 19 inch wheels and pzero pirelli summer tyres in first place ?
Are you saying that Jaguar offered to sell you 22 inch wheels for £2800, how extremely generous of them!.
Seriously, if they are saying Its a characteristic and they all do it you have a real problem, because they have become very hard regarding problems they can't fix and they have a dirty tricks department that will go to some lengths to prove their case.
They don't "all do it", none of the 3 demonstrators I drove nor the 2 cars I bought did but they had Contis.

Here is a suggestion, if it is tyres that aren't flexible enough reduce pressure to about 25 psi to make them flexible and drive a series of tight turns to see if it improves, your local Tesco car park should be suitable when it's quiet, then you can reinflate them for the road.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 pm

nusreddy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm
Thanks Jagfpacejk for masking my phone number.
No problem.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm

nusreddy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:32 pm
I got a call from Jaguar Customer relations, they are claiming its a feature of the vehicle. I cant imagine someone could admit by considering the severity of the problem.

Could some one from Jaguar admit that they can drive my car with severe slipping problem(as demonstrated in the video) which occurs 6 times a day, with kids sitting at rear ?

What should I do now? Please advise.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to being a Jaguar owner, whenever there is an issue and they have no answers they claim this, did the same with the drive noise at the front and then started to do something about it.

Must say thoug, from experience of having cars with the 22 inch wheels in the winter months the issues are much worse the yours.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm

nusreddy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm
You can buy brand new ones with tyres on places like eBay for less. :lol:

Return to “Faults & Technical”