Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
nusreddy

Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Post by nusreddy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 pm

I have been chasing Jaguar to fix Tyres slipping and Loud road noise on my new F-Pace.
The video of the tyres slipping issue https://youtu.be/QhcY4jhGpTQ - the car shakes badly with slipping noise.
The courtesy cars which I drove do not have these problems.
I am really fed up spending time with the retailer. In the process of raising the case with Ombudsman.
Any one facing similar issues ?

catwoman

Re: Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Post by catwoman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:46 pm

Hi, yes it's been noticed by a lot of people on the forum, happens particularly when the temperature is low and the tyres are cold, on full lock, like when exiting a junction.

Take a read of this thread . . viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1937 or click in the search box at the top of the page and search on "tyres jumping", lots of examples.
8-) . . since July '16: 2.0d R-Sport, AWD, Ammonite + Blk Pk, Jet/Red

nusreddy

Post by nusreddy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks for your reply. As you have noticed on my youtube video, the issue is severe. I would not mind if the tyre slips just once or twice. Its slipping 6 times in one turn with huge noise. Doesn't it damage the car ?
Another question is, How come the courtesy car which I drove for a week does not do this badly? it just slips once.

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Do you have Pirelli tyres on your car, this is a normal trait of these on full lock and cold. My Porsche Boxster S has Pirelli P zeros which do exactly the same (full lock and cold). My understanding is that this is normal and nothing to worry about. If unsure obviously check it out with dealer.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

nusreddy

Post by nusreddy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Yes, Pirelli tyres. I cant cope up with severe jerks, it does at three different left turns every morning and evening. My kids and wife sit tight as they expect the jumps and noise :)
its not right....

RDB1

Post by RDB1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:33 pm

They should settle down as they warm up but it is not nice I know. My Fpace does not have Pirelli tyres and does not have that problem so it may be you may not have a choice other than changing tyres. You are unlikely to notice this trait as the weather gets warmer.
F-Pace 3.0D S - 2018, Corris grey, Pano Roof (fixed), Cold Climate Pack, ICTP 380W, Privacy glass, Spare wheel, Service Pack etc

nusreddy

Post by nusreddy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:42 pm

thanks RDB1 for your reply. Well, I have been experiencing this problem for the past 3 months and cold weather wont go for another 3 months :(
Cant cope up 6 months in a year with this issue.
Also, the car is not quiet inside, so much road noise and wind noise, I drove evoque before f-pace which was ver quiet.

June16

Post by June16 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Pirrellli p zero are known also for cracking at low temperatures. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tyres that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero, like all summer tyres, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

They are Summer tyres so you need either winters, or if you can find them another possible solution is all seasons .

Tyre skipping or crabbing is caused by insufficient flex in the tyre at cold temperatures ,the more wear in the tyre the worse they will be affected.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

nusreddy

Post by nusreddy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks June16 for detailed insight. Premium brand like Jaguar cars being fitted with Pirelli summer tyres on 4 x 4 AWDs and advertising F-Pace to drive under -30c, its ridiculous.
I cant drive this car with jerks every morning and evening. I have already rejected my car as Jaguar is not coming up with a solution to fix my problems.
Also high profile Pirelli tyres are producing so much road noise. Why would Jag supply new cars with Pirelli tyres ? A BIG QUESTION...

June16

Post by June16 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:23 am

But all their snow adverts are on winter tyres so they expect people to change in low temps.

So folk say they don't get enough snow or ice to warrant buying winter tyres , but winter tyres are not just fro snow and ice, they are for when average temperatures are below 7?degrees . They perform significantly better in wet and dry at those lower temperatures due to their composition .
It's a bit of a misnomer that all seasons are as good as most are only really a three season tyre. They get by in winter, for some folks, but unless marked with 3pMSF symbol they are not as good as a true winter.

There are two new all weathers with the 3pMSF symbol , Continental and Michelin Cross Climate , but their sizes are limited at the moment.

You also have to weigh up whether you want to remain with homolgated tyres or not.

Mercedes went through a similar issue on the GLC and eventually fitted all weathers to their customer cars free, their issue was slightly worse though, as it was exacerbated due to car setup and they did get a social media hammering at one point. A quick Google of "GLC crabbing" show up some owner videos, plus they had their own web site.
https://www.mercedescrabbing.org
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”