Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
47jag

Re: Severe slipping tyres and road noise : F-Pace R-Sport

Post by 47jag » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am

Corriescar,

“You ain’t going to end up in a ditch because of it”

In my experience there is every potential to end up in a ditch. I have told of my experience in a couple of other postings and if I had been on an unmade road (with a ditch) I’m pretty sure I would have ended up there.

MATEUSZ,

I’m well aware the the outside wheels are travelling at a different rate to the insides but that is why 4x4s have a front differential to allow for this. If one wants to be pedantic, the rear wheels are also traveling a different speeds relative to each other but the rear end doesn’t break away or slide, again because it has a differential.

Any wheel miss-alignment would show up on the treads of the affected tyres as feathering our cupping.

Art

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am

I found on 19" wheels that as the PZero tyres wore down and the temperatures dropped the jumping and slipping got worse. Last winter is was barely noticeable, just a couple of minor hops felt mainly by the driver, whereas this winter the car was juddering enough for everyone in the car to notice and I suspect was probably visible to people outside.

Since changing to all weather tyres, I have experience no slipping at all down as far a -7C, pretty much the same as the lowest temperature experienced with the PZeros just prior to replacing them.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Sander

Post by Sander » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 pm

Hello, didn’t read the entire tread so this might have been brought up already. I’ve experienced this issue on my 2017 3.0 diesel S on 20” with Vredestein Ultrac Vorti on 4 corners. Crabbing has been cured for at least 90% of the corners it did it before, by having a proper 4-wheel alignment. I use a shop specialized in alignment for race cars. It has been aligned to the standard spec but on a very accurate machine by a very accurate man and for me it made all the difference. Total front toe (l+r) was 0deg 30min to start with. This is out of spec but not so much we expected any difference. It is now setup within spec at 0deg 17min total toe. Crabbing has changed from unacceptable to almost not noticeable. I would not be surprised if parallel toe is a full cure but cannot comment on the effect on drivability. HTH.

Matteus F-Pace

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:30 pm

47jag wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:42 am
Corriescar,

MATEUSZ,

I’m well aware the the outside wheels are travelling at a different rate to the insides but that is why 4x4s have a front differential to allow for this. If one wants to be pedantic, the rear wheels are also traveling a different speeds relative to each other but the rear end doesn’t break away or slide, again because it has a differential.

Any wheel miss-alignment would show up on the treads of the affected tyres as feathering our cupping.

Art
Yes, we wouldn't want any pedantry on this Board, though you appear to have misspelt my moniker...However, the Ackerman effect is magnified when the front wheels are turned - clearly the rear wheels don't turn. Anyway, don't take my word for it, there's loads of stuff on the interweb you can read on this.
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

47jag

Post by 47jag » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Matteus,

My apologies for misspelling your name. I blame my iPad and it predictive spelling. I have a German Jaguar contact who spells his name that way.

However, I stand by what I have previously said. Once the chassis specs. are set down there is no easy way to alter the Ackerman angles. If there was why aren't Jaguar implementing these changes? In fact why are Jaguar hiding behind the "characteristic" tag. If you can recall the 60s you may remember the Chevrolet Corvair's characteristic of flying off the road backwards. That didn't do anything for Chevrolets reputation and this problem is going to do similar damage to Jaguar's reputation. I've been driving Jaguars on and off since 1960 and they have all had faults but none that nearly hurt me as this F-Pace did. Given a different road surface the outcome for me could have been worse.

If the problem is tyres then they should be recalled. Personally I think it could be easily fixed by reprogramming the drive to pure FWD up to, say 10MPH or maybe 5MPH would do it.

Art

Galaxy18

Front wheel slipping.

Post by Galaxy18 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm

I have a Portfolio, just over one year old mileage 14000. When I turn right at slow speed I get this horrible slipping sensation from the front left wheel. I have Been back to the Garage twice however, the problem has not been resolved. I was offered a full wheel alignment check however this would cost me £250 and told it may not solve the problem. Has anybody had the same and if so, was it resolved?

First time I've had a Jaguar, Not very impressed!!

catwoman

Re: Front wheel slipping.

Post by catwoman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum. Always worth having a look in the 'Faults & Technical' section if you have an issue. Wheel slippage has been covered in great depth as it is experienced by many owners, especially during colder weather when using summer tyres. Take a look at these threads . . viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3656
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1937
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Topic merged as covered in detail here.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

June16

Post by June16 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Interesting , the E Pace is coming with an option for all weather .
This includes the Vredestein Quatrac 5.
https://www.epaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=171
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

catwoman

Post by catwoman » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:29 am

Yes, I've noticed that too. Perhaps Jag are listening to some of the practical good ideas that their beta-test team (that's us!!) are suggesting. Anyone know if they're offering the same for the FP yet?

. . by the way, fixed your EPace edit for you June16 . . :)
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”