All Season Tyre choice

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Jim

Re: All Season Tyre choice

Post by Jim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Jagrsport wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:18 pm
I have gone for the Michelin Crossclimates. So far so good. The slippage experienced with the Pirelli P Zero tyres seems to have disappeared.

Let’s see how they fair throughout the winter.
Please do let others know how the tyres work out.

The Michelin CrossClimate's are what I would have bought had they been available when I swapped mine, as I have always had good experiences with Michelin tyres.
Ex 2016, MY17 - 2.0 D, Portfolio - Dec 2018 RR Velar D300 HSE R-Dynamic

Penfold23

Post by Penfold23 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I've put Pirelli Scorpian Verde All Season put on mine.
Original Rears replaced after 26.6k and fronts at 32.5k miles
No signs of skipping.
OWNER OF: 3.0d S, Rhodium Silver, Jet trim, 14 way sports seats, 20" Venom Black, Adv Parking pack, Black pack, Climate front/heated rear, InControl Touch Pro 380w, Privacy Glass, reclining rear seats, & few other bits. 5yr service plan.

sandyides

Post by sandyides » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am

Just bought a full set of Michelin cross climates 255 55 19 W111, replacing the original Pirelli P zeros. What a difference. Quieter, better ride, yet to try on snow, but with the the three peaks snow rated should be a great help in the snow when it comes.
Crabbing gone, the Pirellis were so bad in the cold.... Was off road-accidentally-last Feb, two days in a ditch, till pulled out.
Peace of mind, and hopefully well worth the Blackcircles price.
F pace 2.0 awd portfolio, cold pack/tow bar/privacy/park assist

Flobo

Post by Flobo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:28 pm

Have been following this topic with interest. Have just completed a 100 mile journey (mainly motorway) in temperatures below 7deg C ( see photo) on Pirelli Zero tyres and did not notice any difference in performance. The F-Pace handled brilliantly as usual. Conditions were dry throughout. Is it mainly in the wet below 7deg C where forum members have experienced problems? What characteristics have manifested themselves? Your comments as always appreciated.

98B8A947-3256-40AB-80EE-BDBC6C394856.jpeg

F PacePortfolio2.0 Petrol 250PS 19" Wheels :mrgreen: Racing Green Siena Tan Windsor Memory Pack 10 way seats, Lane Keep Assist, Park Assist, 360 Parking Aid, Space saver spare wheel, Blind Spot Monitoring & Rear Traffic Detection

jeffreywoodham

Post by jeffreywoodham » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm

We seem to have virtually identical cars and I have never noticed any drop-off in performance in cold weather. After reading various comments on this forum it sometimes makes me wonder how I’ve managed to be accident free for the last 40 years without winter tyres.
2018 25t Portfolio, BRG, Siena, Privacy, Configurable Dynamics, Infra Red Screen

mik

Post by mik » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:29 pm

You wont notice any drop off in performance unless you are trying to use all of the performance they are capable of delivering in warmer temperatures. Cornering, accelerating or braking.

Rubber gets harder as it cools. Not a theory. The "winter tyres better below 7DegC" is a sweeping generalisation though - some summer tyres can find grip even close to zero Deg. The Michelin Pilot Supersports I have on my own car become like bars of soap below 5DegC though....
2017 F-Pace 3.0D S for her
2014 Lotus Evora S SportsRacer for him

47jag

Post by 47jag » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 pm

jeffreywoodham wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm
We seem to have virtually identical cars and I have never noticed any drop-off in performance in cold weather. After reading various comments on this forum it sometimes makes me wonder how I’ve managed to be accident free for the last 40 years without winter tyres.
Jeffery,

The Pirelli problem manifests itself when cold by skipping or sliding sideways when stating off on a full lock. EG. I reverse from my driveway and then have to turn full left to leave my Cul-de-sac and it’s at this point that the ‘drama’ occurs. If you don’t find yourself in this situation the problem never appears and as you drive the tyres warm up and act normally. I’ve had a Pirelli rep. out to witness this phenomenon and he could only say that once they warm up it will be all right. No shit Sherlock.

I’ve fitted Michelin All Season and the problem is gone.

Art

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:19 am

In snow I found the difference between the Pirelli P Zeroes and the Vredestein Quatrac 5 all season tyres was like night and day with respect to grip, especially when braking. My drive and the first 50 metres of road from my house is up hill, with the Pirelli tyres the car just made it to the top and then slid down the other side mainly under control and driving very slowly and using launch control and staying under 17 mph to keep it engaged. With the Vredestein tyres is was easy to simply drive up and down the slopes with no slips or any hint of loss of control without using launch control, but still keeping the speed down.

jeffreywoodham

Post by jeffreywoodham » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:10 pm

47jag wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 pm
jeffreywoodham wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm
Jeffery,

The Pirelli problem manifests itself when cold by skipping or sliding sideways when stating off on a full lock. EG. I reverse from my driveway and then have to turn full left to leave my Cul-de-sac and it’s at this point that the ‘drama’ occurs. If you don’t find yourself in this situation the problem never appears and as you drive the tyres warm up and act normally. I’ve had a Pirelli rep. out to witness this phenomenon and he could only say that once they warm up it will be all right. No shit Sherlock.

I’ve fitted Michelin All Season and the problem is gone.
Art

I’ve had this phenomenum in all conditions since I’ve had the car. I just chose to ignore it as it only lasts for the first 90° turn which is about 400 yards from my house. I certainly don’t have the feeling that I need to spend money on new all season tyres until the present ones are worn out when I might go for the Michelin Cross Climate tyre.

Jeffrey
2018 25t Portfolio, BRG, Siena, Privacy, Configurable Dynamics, Infra Red Screen

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Jeffery, I agree and didn't change my tyres until they needed changing at about 20,000 miles. When I did change them I went for all seasons tyres which are generally a better compromise for driving in most areas of England. Once I did change them they were much better than the Pirelli tyres, but I also found this with my XJ and XF (I'm not a fan of Pirelli tyres :oops: :D ).

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”