All Season Tyre choice

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
mike72uk

Re: All Season Tyre choice

Post by mike72uk » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Good to know then that my 20" Scorpion Winter are approved after market Winter tyres......

M
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

balders

Post by balders » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi,

Just found this thread while looking into whether to replace my OEM 22"-ers with Scorpion Zero All Seasons. Can anyone offer any comments as to how these have performed over the summer months in relation to the standard summer tyres? Was there much compromise, and if so, do you think it has been worth it?

To give some context, I'm based in the South of England, so weather isn't too cold/extreme for the vast majority of the year. Unfortunately, I've been pushed into replacing some/all tyres by a stray nail in one of them, with around 4mm left on all wheels ... and I'm bouncing between replacing a pair (summer tyres), or biting the bullet and replacing them all with all seasons.

Apologies for bumping an old(ish) thread - seemed better than starting yet another tyre thread...

Cheers,

Balders.

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:55 am

I have gone down the winter tyre route as we do a fair bit of driving in Germany and Scotland each winter and tyres with the 3 Peak Mountain and Snowflake symbol (3PMSF) are now legally required in Germany in winter conditions. There are others I know who have switched to 22" all season tyres and have reported minimal difference to road noise but, I will let them speak for themselves.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

June16

Post by June16 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 am

Ive gone full winters too, Continental TS 850p being fitted tomorrow.
I’m moving from the south East to Scotland in Feb 😳

I’ve always fitted winters , even in the South East, but it very much depends when you drive your car , i.e. do you drive at the crack of sparrows or late in the evening when it’s icy and cold.

It’s very much a situation choice , but Pirelli’s are generally a noisier tyre in any format , that’s why they tend to last longer.
You can get the tyre noise levels, fuel rating and wet handling marks on line for each tyre to help you too.

I certainly wouldn’t run it in winter on summer tyres.
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:32 am

I had a set of Scorpion Winter 20" on last year during our trip to the alps (Austria) and they were phenomenal on the snow (having to drive up unploughed mountain roads (single track) to get to/from the resort/accommodation, they didn't bat an eyelid ! And we drove through a couple of severe blizzards on the route there/back on the German autobahn's and they were very confidence inspiring on the wet/sleet/ice !

I would have no hesitation in recommending winters for anyone driving not only in snow, but rain/ice during the winter months when temps drop below 7C of so.

My local dealer store and swap them for £60 a time (in fact with my service in a few weeks time, they are rotating the summers off and putting the winters on!)

Regards,
Mike
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

balders

Post by balders » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 am

Thank for your replies. I'm reluctant to go full winter yet, mainly because I don't feel that my situation warrants them - semi-urban South of England, rarely drive early morning/late night, work at home if the weather is bad, low mileage. Leaving me with the dilemma of whether I go down the all season route, or stick with summer tyres as I have for the past 20 years on various AWD/FWD/RWD cars without too many scary moments.

Pros and cons to both approaches, but what I guess I could do is go for the summers to address the immediate nail issue, see how they work for my situation when the weather turns colder (still around 13C here) , and change if things get scary, storing the summers for when the weather warms up again.

Cheers,

Balders

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 pm

I have been very happy with my Vredestein Quatrac 5 255 55 R19 111W XL tyres that I fitted earlier this year. These are all season tyres that are also marked as being suitable as winter tyres (3 peaks, M+S marked) though if I lived in a very snowy country I'm not sure I wouldn't still go for full Summer and Winter tyres. For most areas of England and probably Wales all season tyres are probably adequate for almost all conditions except the most exceptional.

They worked fine in the snow we had around Telford last winter and much better than the Pirelli summer tyres (not very surprisingly) and have been fine through the summer.

I have just ordered a RR Velar and they come with all season tyres as standard and it has been the subject of much discussion on this forum as to why the F-Pace doesn't at least offer them as an option - for the Velar summer tyres are a no-cost option.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

Robert H

Post by Robert H » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Like many F-Pace owners, I have experienced under-steer when the tyres are cold - Pirelli P Zero - which has worsened as the tyres have worn. I hoped this could be cured by fitting All Season tyres - Michelin Cross Climate looked ideal but I could not find these in the correct size. I fitted Goodyear Wrangler All Weather, although they are a summer tyre. Since fitting these I have not experienced the under-steer, even in freezing weather. Lets hope I get the good mileage i have seen reported by Rover Freelander drivers (26,000+ miles with Pirellis).

JAGFlubster

Post by JAGFlubster » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:26 pm

I asked jaguar customer relations which winter and all season tyres are approved for my 20" wheels.

The answer was the the pirelli scorpions and the Conti ts850p. They don't approve any all seasons. I will probably go for the continentals.

June. Who supplied yours? I see oponeo are selling them for 222 each.

Flub!
3.0D 2018 S. Loire Blue, opening Pano roof, ictp, Adsr, space saver wheel, practicality pack, cold climate pack, HUD

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:47 am

Just put my winter tyres on Conti Cross Contact, all season tyres they have an M&S rating but no snowflake a good compromise in UK conditions imo. They have much more grip in slippery conditions and snow - deep snow forget it, time to get the old Defender out with tractor tyres.
FPace 3.0D Portfolio Loire Blue, light interior, tow bar. No issues a very good car
Gone F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”