Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

All Season Tyre choice

52K views 90 replies 26 participants last post by  Jim 
#1 ·
The Pirelli P Zero 255 55 R19 111W tyres are coming to the end of their life on my MY2017 F-Pace Portfollio.

I am looking for new tyres and want to buy All Season tyres to replace the current summer tyres.

Unfortunately the choice of all season tyres in 255 55 R19 111W is not huge and after looking for some time I have found these:

Vredestein Quatrac 5 255 55 R19 111W XL

Are these suitable for my car and are there any that JLR would recommend as equally or more suitable than these?

I would have preferred Michelin tyres, however I don't believe they do an all season tyre in my size!

Forum members please chime in if you have an experience of these (Vredestein) or other tyres.

#2 ·
Have been very impressed with Goodyear Wranglers on both my F-pace and Freelander before that. Low road noise, stick like glue . Great in the recent snow. Recommended.

#3 ·
I've also got Goodyear Wranglers on my DS great tyre highly recommended, if they made the correct size to fit a F Pace I wouldn't hesitate to fit them.

#5 ·
I've gone with Pirelli P zero Scorpion All season.
Great grip and in 22 inch as well. More road noise than the P Zero summer which isn't surprising but it's not bad except on odd surfaces.

#6 ·
Those Vredestein Quatrac 5 have both winter and summer sides to their treads, which as far as I'm aware makes them an innovative tyre design and means they have both M+S and snowflake markings too, unlike other all season tyres. Not bad prices either. It'd be very interesting to know how you get on with them if you decide to go with them Jim.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m147b0s8063p150023/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_SUV_4x4_Vredestein_Quatrac5_Vredestein_Quatrac_5_-_255_55_R19_111W_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

#7 ·
I've been looking at the Michelin cross climate , summer tyres with the added bonus of the 3pmsf full winter tyre rating.
They seem to get good reviews and would save changing tyres and wheels twice a year. Just ordered for our second car to be fitted in Jan, so will see how these go.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/CrossClimate-Plus.htm

#9 ·
Looking on the Michelin, Pirelli and Goodyear sites the Cross Climate (or any other of their tyres) isn't available for the Portfolio standard wheel size for any speed rating, the P Zero Scorpion All season is only available up to speed rating H (marginal) and the Wrangler in this size is only available up to V.

V rating should be sufficient but on Googling about speed ratings (which is the max speed that it is safe to use the tyre without heat issues) it is apparently not just a speed match but also a car handling and stability match as well. The general advice is that car owners should stick to the rating recommended and fitted by the manufacturer, hence my question aimed at JLR Customer Service.

Finding 255 55 R19 111W all season tyres is a bit like looking for rocking horse muck, almost any other dimensions and speed rating are available in many of the tyres, just not this exact combination.

Hence the question regarding if anyone has any experience of the Vredestein Quatrac 5, as I have never used their tyres before.

#10 ·
One error to my entry above, Michelin do offer a tyre in my size but the reviews are very mixed, Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

Many sites say it is an all weather tyre, others that it is a summer tyre, Michelin do not list it under all season tyres.

#12 ·
For me, I want sports car in the summer, and go anywhere with grip in the winter for a jag F-pace - that means different tyres in the winter and summer. However, when I drove an XC60 (less porty) I used goodyear wranglers and was very impressed not only their all season grip, but also their longevity - got over 20k miles from a set.

#13 ·
Thanks June16. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV tyres are listed as summer tyres on the Goodyear UK web site and they are not shown unless a Google search for any year is done, so I suspect they may have been withdrawn here.

If I recall it is a similar story for the Continental tyres listed as well.

Thanks for digging this out though as I'm sure it will be of use for others.

Jim

#14 ·
Thanks June16

Is it just me, or is the right hand of the screenshot missing?

I, for one, would like to save this info away for future use.

Is there any possibility of a complete screenshot with the explanatory columns visible?

Thanks

#18 ·
June16, I'm still looking but nearly all the tyres (and manufacturers) listed don't make all season tyres in 255 55 R19 W 111.

I'm probably going to settle on the Vredestein Quatrac 5 if I can find someone to supply and fit them.

It looks like the Portfolio standard wheels are about the worst size for tyre availability in the UK.

#19 ·
After a couple of email exchanges with Amellia it is now clear that JLR do not have an All Weather/Season tyre recommendation for Portfolio owners in the UK, none of their recommendations are available here.

Checked my tyres properly yesterday and there is still a fair bit more tread left than I thought, at least 4mm across the whole width of all tyres so will be a few more months before I change them all.

#20 ·
Thanks for that update Jim,
I think I'll be heading down the summer and winter tyres/wheel change ethos.
A pain but probably better for the cars handling and my safety.

#21 ·
A quick search showed that the difference between 111 rating and 109 is 60kg per tyre, with the 109 able to support 1030kg. Four tyres supports max 4130kg therefore, and gross laden weight of F-pace quoted at around 2400kg (depends on spec). Unless you're pulling 2g or on 2 wheels round corners, can't see what the problem is! 109 rated all weathers readily available (and was fitted to heavier Freelander 2 as OEM) Am I missing something?

#22 ·
Heatha05, I haven't had any issues with the load rating it is finding tyres of the right size and speed rating. Some that Jaguar show as All Season the manufacturer (at least in the UK) says are Summer only, many manufacturers don't make 255 55 R19 all season tyres at all, at any load or speed rating.

Some of the tyres shown for the US and Canadian markets shown as all season for those locations on the JLR recommended tyres sheet are shown as Summer only in the UK on the manufacturers web sites, so are they different tyres between markets but with the same name or does all season mean different things in Europe than it does in the US and Canada.

#23 ·
I'm not sure where you have been looking, in the UK several makers have all weather tyres in that size listed. Some members have reported fitting Goodyear Wranglers and are listed at £120 plus fitting on Black Circles, that seems a good choice at a sensible price.

#24 ·
The Wranglers aren't available in W speed rating, see my earlier comments regarding speed rating. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV AT is available and is shown on US sites as being all season, but are shown as summer only on the Goodyear UK site. It is also shown as an all season option in the US and Canada on the JLR tyre list but is not recommended as an all season tyre for use in the UK by JLR.

At the moment JLR are not recommending any all season tyres for the 19" wheels in the UK.

Ideally I would like a tyre that matches the current tyres in terms of size as well as speed and load rating, failing that I will consider what is available as an alternative. I was hoping to get some guidance from JLR but so far they are not offering any.

#25 ·
I guess it's a case of perceived liability not recommending all seasons on the FPace which is sold as a sports car not a off roader and different standards apply in other countries. From a practical point of view either fit the recommended winter tyres or take on any potential liability yourself, V rated tyres are good for 150mph so you have a good safety margin on a 2.0D.

#26 ·
Very interesting thread. I have driven a lot in Scandinavia and Germany in winter conditions. I have driven in Sweden on studded winter tyres (the older sort with metal protrusions) and in Germany on winter compound tyres. I have got into the habit of switching tyres in late Oct and early March even living in the UK. It is more of a security blanket for me living in London with perhaps just a handful of slushy days a year but in Germany two years ago and in scotland there was quite a bit of snow and the winter compound tyres really came into their own even on my current front wheel drive Audi. In Germany and Scandinavia you must have the M & S plus snowflake symbol on your tyres in winter otherwise if you have an accident you may not be covered by insurance. All Seasons tyres are OK providing they have the symbols.

I am awaiting delivery of my F Pace which will have 22" rims and there is currently no Jaguar recommended Winter tyre for 265/40 R22. There is a Pirelli Scorpion winter tyre and All Season tyre in this size and I note that Mbadger has fitted the All Season tyres in this size. My question is - if Jaguar don't recommend a tyre type, what does this do to the warranty on the vehicle if you use them? My second question then is, would it be better to get a set of Jaguar 20" rims and 255/55 R20 winter tyres and switch to those in the winter or would changing the wheel spec on my F Pace also invalidate the warranty? Catch 22...

Garry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.