Frozen windscreen wiper fluid

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Milesg

Frozen windscreen wiper fluid

Post by Milesg » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 am

Yes I know you can get special antifreeze fluid but I ran out last night and refilled with fairy liquid/water. Just done an hour on the motorway and urgently needed to spray windscreen.

You'd think after an hour the heat from the engine could be utilised to unfreeze it?! I know it's probably all cars but if I designed cars I'd heat the water or the exposed jets

catwoman

Re: Frozen windscreen wiper fluid

Post by catwoman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:30 am

Washing up liquid should not be used in the screen wash reservoir, ever, it will block the washer jets. Unfortunately, I doubt that your screenwash not working will have anything to do with being frozen, it'll most likely be gummed up :cry:
8-) . . been enjoying since July '16, 2.0d R-Sport, Ammonite + Black Pack, Jet/Red interior and a few useful options

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 am

Milesg wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 am
Yes I know you can get special antifreeze fluid but I ran out last night and refilled with fairy liquid/water. Just done an hour on the motorway and urgently needed to spray windscreen.

You'd think after an hour the heat from the engine could be utilised to unfreeze it?! I know it's probably all cars but if I designed cars I'd heat the water or the exposed jets
And washing up liquid is well known as damaging to paint....

Renesis

Post by Renesis » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 pm

Probably best to flush through with plenty of water when you next get chance and refill with the proper winter grade stuff, maybe keep one in the boot for emergency next time.

Are the nozzles not heated on our cars? Or was that extra as well?
Italian Racing Red 3.0d S

HML

Post by HML » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:34 pm

I appear to have a similar issue
I am using proper commercial antifreeze liquid (even some sold in petrol stations in Norway & Sweden for the winter)
The washers work on until -5
After that nothing
I hear the pumps (front & back) turning so the liquid is not frozen (I even left a bottle out overnight diown to -20 and it was ok) but still nothing comes out of the washers as if they were blocked by some pasty liquid and not water mixed with alcohol
Any clues any one ?
Regards
F-PACE 2.0d portfolio, Storm Grey, 19" wheels + Sp-Saver, ASR, Pan Sliding roof, LED's, Parc pack, InTouch C-Pro, Mood Lighting, 14 Way sports seats, Oyster leather, Heated S Steering wheel, HUD

frogmill0

Post by frogmill0 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:31 am

Renesis wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 pm
Probably best to flush through with plenty of water when you next get chance and refill with the proper winter grade stuff, maybe keep one in the boot for emergency next time.

Are the nozzles not heated on our cars? Or was that extra as well?
Heated washer jets aren't standard but are included in the optional Cold Climate Pack.
3.0d 'S' in Rhodium Silver. ICTPro, 825w Meridian, Cold Climate pack, 14 way memory seats, pan roof.

Catmad

Post by Catmad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:23 pm

I have heated washers (winter pack) but still have freezing problems even with the ultra low temp washer fluid. The main problem is that the washer fluid bottle is located in the drivers side wheel arch and not in the engine compartment therefore not benefitting from engine heat. I believe that more recent F-pace models have updated washer nozzles so if I have any more issues this winter I'm going to try and convince my dealer to upgrade under warranty.
2.0D Prestige 180 AWD Auto Italian Racing Red

HML

Post by HML » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:08 am

Hi Catmad

This feels like a design fault
A car without windscreen washing in winter is not good. This is the time one needs to be able to wash the screen.
Let me know how you get on with your request with your dealer.

Still I wonder why the nozzle get blocked
The liquid remains liquid and I can hear the pump turn. It is that it is becoming a little bit like a gum/paste and too thick for the nozzles to spray?

Regards
H
F-PACE 2.0d portfolio, Storm Grey, 19" wheels + Sp-Saver, ASR, Pan Sliding roof, LED's, Parc pack, InTouch C-Pro, Mood Lighting, 14 Way sports seats, Oyster leather, Heated S Steering wheel, HUD

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:07 am

Are you using Pre-Mixed or are you diluting the fluid yourself as over dilution of can cause issues.

To try to unblock the jets try pouring warm water over them, of course do not tip boiling water just warm and see if that frees them up.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

HML

Post by HML » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 am

I am using the pre-mix liquid they sell in petrol stations in Norway
Works for the locals but not me :-(
Regards

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”