Clunking

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
JML

Clunking

Post by JML » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:12 pm

I recently had an issue with a clunking when on hard lock and feeling the car slip. Jaguar assistance said it was the rear differential which made sense. The local dealership have said it was a software issue with the car set for 15” wheels not 19!!! What car has 15”wheels now???
I’m yet to collect the car but am not convinced as they say this is felt on all Jaguars!!!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Jim

Gdank

Re: Clunking

Post by Gdank » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm

There are 2 separate issues here.

The Clunking noise is a known "problem" ... I say loosely because depending on what dealership you go to, they will either say it's a fault or "normal" ... however some people have rejected their car on this point, and others have had 2-3 "fixes" to resolve this issue. I'm sure that someone else who follows this issue can explain better.

The Tyre's slipping on full lock is a known "feature" of the car.

Basically if the tyre's are cold, and you are running summer tyres, and the outside air is 5 deg or below, and then you full lock you do get the wheel slipping. This is generally resolved after 2-3mins of driving or using Winter Tyre's when below 5deg.

If you get slipping all the time, then it's a result from the first point.
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

JML

Post by JML » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks for the reply.
It only happens at cold but seems strange that this issue has only occurred 9 months into having the car. It wasn’t an issue previously!

musher

Post by musher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 pm

That may well be because we've only really had this cold weather snap for the last week or two. Mine hasn't done it until now and has only started to do it in the extreme cold weather were experiencing
Now arrived 2.0d Portfolio auto, Caesium Blue, light oyster interior, privacy glass, heated steering wheel, configurable mood lighting, 4 way lumber support, ICTP, reclining and remote release rear seats, and air quality sensor.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:47 pm

Gdank wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:53 pm
There are 2 separate issues here.

The Clunking noise is a known "problem" ... I say loosely because depending on what dealership you go to, they will either say it's a fault or "normal" ... however some people have rejected their car on this point, and others have had 2-3 "fixes" to resolve this issue. I'm sure that someone else who follows this issue can explain better.

The Tyre's slipping on full lock is a known "feature" of the car.

Basically if the tyre's are cold, and you are running summer tyres, and the outside air is 5 deg or below, and then you full lock you do get the wheel slipping. This is generally resolved after 2-3mins of driving or using Winter Tyre's when below 5deg.

If you get slipping all the time, then it's a result from the first point.
Last winter mine only did it on the first hard lock turn, maybe the second but not after that...

Today it did it throughout both outward and return journeys. Either it is colder than last year, (not here it isn't yet), or the reduced grip after 9k miles is accentuating the 'feature'. Does tyre rubber 'work harden'?
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JML

Post by JML » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm

It started during the warmer weather almost 2 months ago. Plus it’s not really that cold! Imagine this in colder climate countries.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:59 pm

JML wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm
It started during the warmer weather almost 2 months ago. Plus it’s not really that cold! Imagine this in colder climate countries.
7 deg is cold for summer tyres.... My first cuckoo of the season was in October I think...

Look at the thread entitled 'Strange' which covers this in depth .... some say their dealer fixed by doing geometry check, but the safest way to cure it is buy winter tyres.

Ackermann, Ackermann wherefor art thou Ackerman....?
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JML

Post by JML » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 pm

Well apparently the installed software on my vehicle was set to 15 inch wheels giving a half a mile an hour error!
I don’t buy this as software issues if there are always there.
Thanks for your help I will have a look. It was cold last winter and it never happened. So will see what further they say tomorrow when I go to pick up.
Thanks

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:34 pm

JML wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:04 pm
Well apparently the installed software on my vehicle was set to 15 inch wheels giving a half a mile an hour error!
I don’t buy this as software issues if there are always there.
Thanks for your help I will have a look. It was cold last winter and it never happened. So will see what further they say tomorrow when I go to pick up.
Thanks
Do any JLR cars actually have wheels smaller than 16"?!

I'd question the dealer and the software!

They don't modify the trip computer for the different wheel sizes, which is why the mpg etc is always taken with a pinch of sodium. The rolling diameter of a 20" is different to a 22"... Not by much, but 'every little helps...' :-)

GHetherington

Post by GHetherington » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:55 pm

I've had the 'clunking' noise recently from start and the weather is below 7 for many months in Aberdeen.
2.0d R-Sport AWD Firenze Red

Return to “Faults & Technical”