Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Clunking

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  47jag 
#1 ·
I recently had an issue with a clunking when on hard lock and feeling the car slip. Jaguar assistance said it was the rear differential which made sense. The local dealership have said it was a software issue with the car set for 15" wheels not 19!!! What car has 15"wheels now???
I'm yet to collect the car but am not convinced as they say this is felt on all Jaguars!!!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Jim

#2 ·
There are 2 separate issues here.

The Clunking noise is a known "problem" ... I say loosely because depending on what dealership you go to, they will either say it's a fault or "normal" ... however some people have rejected their car on this point, and others have had 2-3 "fixes" to resolve this issue. I'm sure that someone else who follows this issue can explain better.

The Tyre's slipping on full lock is a known "feature" of the car.

Basically if the tyre's are cold, and you are running summer tyres, and the outside air is 5 deg or below, and then you full lock you do get the wheel slipping. This is generally resolved after 2-3mins of driving or using Winter Tyre's when below 5deg.

If you get slipping all the time, then it's a result from the first point.

#4 ·
That may well be because we've only really had this cold weather snap for the last week or two. Mine hasn't done it until now and has only started to do it in the extreme cold weather were experiencing

#5 ·
Gdank said:
There are 2 separate issues here.

The Clunking noise is a known "problem" ... I say loosely because depending on what dealership you go to, they will either say it's a fault or "normal" ... however some people have rejected their car on this point, and others have had 2-3 "fixes" to resolve this issue. I'm sure that someone else who follows this issue can explain better.

The Tyre's slipping on full lock is a known "feature" of the car.

Basically if the tyre's are cold, and you are running summer tyres, and the outside air is 5 deg or below, and then you full lock you do get the wheel slipping. This is generally resolved after 2-3mins of driving or using Winter Tyre's when below 5deg.

If you get slipping all the time, then it's a result from the first point.
Last winter mine only did it on the first hard lock turn, maybe the second but not after that...

Today it did it throughout both outward and return journeys. Either it is colder than last year, (not here it isn't yet), or the reduced grip after 9k miles is accentuating the 'feature'. Does tyre rubber 'work harden'?

#7 ·
JML said:
It started during the warmer weather almost 2 months ago. Plus it's not really that cold! Imagine this in colder climate countries.
7 deg is cold for summer tyres.... My first cuckoo of the season was in October I think...

Look at the thread entitled 'Strange' which covers this in depth .... some say their dealer fixed by doing geometry check, but the safest way to cure it is buy winter tyres.

Ackermann, Ackermann wherefor art thou Ackerman....?

#8 ·
Well apparently the installed software on my vehicle was set to 15 inch wheels giving a half a mile an hour error!
I don't buy this as software issues if there are always there.
Thanks for your help I will have a look. It was cold last winter and it never happened. So will see what further they say tomorrow when I go to pick up.
Thanks

#9 ·
JML said:
Well apparently the installed software on my vehicle was set to 15 inch wheels giving a half a mile an hour error!
I don't buy this as software issues if there are always there.
Thanks for your help I will have a look. It was cold last winter and it never happened. So will see what further they say tomorrow when I go to pick up.
Thanks
Do any JLR cars actually have wheels smaller than 16"?!

I'd question the dealer and the software!

They don't modify the trip computer for the different wheel sizes, which is why the mpg etc is always taken with a pinch of sodium. The rolling diameter of a 20" is different to a 22"... Not by much, but 'every little helps...' :)

#11 ·
I have noticed this for quite a while. I reverse out of my driveway and turn hard left to go up our cul-de-sac, The car actually raises at the right side as it does it and I progress in a series of lurches. I've just come back from the dealer and the service guy says "it's because the rear wheels are pushing and the front wheels then skip", this has the aroma of 'bull droppings'. If that is the case why didn't my XF do it? I feel that it is like the driveshaft is locking up because of the extreme lock. My argument was that the car is 'supposed to pull away in FWD' so why aren't the wheels pulling in the direction they are pointing. On one occasion i was turning hard right from a main road into our estate, I saw a break in the traffic and went for it. To my shock and amazement the car plowed (understeering) at a 45 degree angle to the main road with the front wheels shuddering

Art.

#12 ·
Mine had a terrible clunking noise on right lock only when it was more apparent when it was cold but still did it consistently in all temperatures. The garage tried to tell me it was a characteristic of the car. Try telling that to bystanders at the side of the road when they can hear the noise from outside. Their jaws dropped to the floor as it sounded like the wheels were going to fall off! I rejected the car with this issue as it was horrible to drive and not satisfactory. The DEKRA engineer I had to have out to inspect the car to be able to reject said it was a differential issue and was not at all a characteristic. In fact he laughed his socks off when I said Jaguar said it was a characteristic. There was multiple other issues with the car as well. So glad I ditched the car and bought a Volvo XC90. No comparison. Totally different quality.

#13 ·
I have come to the conclusion that this is an easy fix for Jaguar if they want to be bothered. I was intrigued by the ASI Suite page where you can 'watch' the transmission drive flow. When I was buying my car the salesman went to great lengths to explain that the car would drive of in FWD and transition to RWD once under way. By watching the graphic there is very little in the way of drive to the front wheels while getting under way normally. This is why IMHO the wheels will slide sideways on full lock. If you now go to the second option in the ASI Suite you can select Low Friction Start. When this is selected by monitoring the power graphic again (just before you drive off) you can see that there is a proper application of drive to the front wheels and magically the shuddering/hopping at full lock is eliminated. The LFS switches off after 15MPH and it does change the accelerator and transmission parameters but as far as I can see the evidence is there, increase the power to the front wheels and the problem is eliminated. Is it going to take someone getting involved in an accident like my right turning off the main road as described in my previous post before Jaguar do something.

I sent an email to the CRC over a week ago outlining my concerns about this problem (and it is a problem!) receiving only an acknowledgement but so far no further contact.

Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.