Dashcam advice please

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
lisa71

Dashcam advice please

Post by lisa71 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Some knob decided to stratch my car a couple of weeks ago and obviously didn’t leave any details.

I’m thinking if I had a dashcam I could at least try and find out who did it and they can pay for the damage instead of my hard earned cash.

Need advice on best cam and to find someone to fit it, can anyone recommend someone I’m in KT area.
2.0d Portfolio AWD, Ammo Grey, Oyster interior - This car is the nuts :shock:

Gdank

Re: Dashcam advice please

Post by Gdank » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

luminated

Post by luminated » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:44 am

lisa71 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Some knob decided to stratch my car a couple of weeks ago and obviously didn’t leave any details.

I’m thinking if I had a dashcam I could at least try and find out who did it and they can pay for the damage instead of my hard earned cash.

Need advice on best cam and to find someone to fit it, can anyone recommend someone I’m in KT area.
Unless the scratches involved another vehicle and caused enough impact to start the camera recording I doubt this will do what you are looking.
F-Pace 3.0dS Glacier White, Black leather, Black Pack, 22" Double Helix Black, InControl Touch Pro 825w, Cold Cilmate Pack, 10 way with memory, AdSR, Space Saver Wheel & Lane assist.

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN ;)

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:42 pm

look at the Blackvue DR750S-2CH

has a front an drear camera, plus parking mode, which includes motion detection ...... I have it installed and can't fault it (other than it seems a little too sensitive on the impact detection so picks up one in parking mode each time i come back to the car an open the door, and picks up a number in normal driving when going over speed bumps or round a roundabout rather hastily !

M.
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

Roy H

Post by Roy H » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:52 pm

I have a Nextbase 512GW (1440p Quad HD) fitted by Halfords. 16Gb memory card, & hidden wiring + power supply from fuses added to Car's Fuse bank in passenger foot-well. I can recommend this Kit. With parking mode activated, any motion detected (pedestrians + vehicles) whilst parked/stationary will be recorded. Only problem is (in a busy supermarket car park) this setting can waste a lot of memory, but frequent downloads to your home PC and diligent searching of recorded footage, could capture your suspect.

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm

If there was constant WiFi in the car and a live that really is live then Blackvue cams can send to the Cloud and alert you. I've had bad experience with their power supply had one fail and a mate had one fail after 4 weeks. I've got new power unit (battery voltage protector) from Amazon and a dual 12v socket that I will hard wire into a hopefully permanent supply. One will supply the dashcam the other a 4G wifi unit so maybe i will circumvent Jaguars feeble forward planning of piss poor 3G . The key issue is when i will get time to install this. The blackvue g force sensity can be managed for parking mode. Given power problems had so far this might work but it's been a faff.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

craig999

Post by craig999 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 am

I use the thinkware f770 hardwired has front and rear cams also has parking mode and night vision and uses time lapse recording .
Also has other feature like safety camera alert which is great works perfect and also road safety warning system with lane departure front collision warning ect .
What I like is there is no screen in the car to distract while driving you just use the app on mobile .
3.0L Diesel S

lisa71

Post by lisa71 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:55 am

thanks for the advice guys, i'm gonna do some research on recommended ones at the weekend.

looks like i'll be going to halfords as I don't know anyone that can install.

lisa71

Post by lisa71 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am

luminated wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:44 am
lisa71 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:05 pm

Unless the scratches involved another vehicle and caused enough impact to start the camera recording I doubt this will do what you are looking.

Definitely involved another car, damage right down front bumper and small dent. Repair now done and looks as good as new just want to prevent another costly experience.

mike72uk

Post by mike72uk » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:24 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:29 pm
If there was constant WiFi in the car and a live that really is live then Blackvue cams can send to the Cloud and alert you. I've had bad experience with their power supply had one fail and a mate had one fail after 4 weeks. I've got new power unit (battery voltage protector) from Amazon and a dual 12v socket that I will hard wire into a hopefully permanent supply. One will supply the dashcam the other a 4G wifi unit so maybe i will circumvent Jaguars feeble forward planning of piss poor 3G . The key issue is when i will get time to install this. The blackvue g force sensity can be managed for parking mode. Given power problems had so far this might work but it's been a faff.
RaVolVoR

I used PF04 fuse in the Passenger Fuse compartment for permanent live - it's the diagnostic/OBD port fuse and I can confirm that it is working with my PMP. For the switched live I used PF6or PF7 which are the 12v supplies in the rear or the cubby between the seats respectively.

If you manage to find a decent 4g wifi unit that can be hidden and permanently powered (well powered off the same output feed as the PMP which will mean it shuts down when the camera does) then let me know and I'll give that a go. The car wifi drops soon after the car is locked !

Regards
Mike
25t R-Sport AWD Auto (Corris + Ebony/Lt Oyster Stitch) - MY18
20" Venom's; Black Pack; 18-way Mem Seats; ICTP; Cold Climate pack; Adaptive LED's; Privacy; Pano Roof; Adaptive Cruise; Tow Bar; Surround Cam; Blind Spot, Keyless; Config Dynamics;

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”