Tow Bar

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
m1k3y

Tow Bar

Post by m1k3y » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Hi all,

I am looking at options to retrofit a tow bar to my FPace (20d auto R Sport). I'm only looking at the manually deployed rather than anything fancy.

I know Jag can do it as a dealer fit, but the price is phenomenal (of course).

I've had a look through previous posts on here, and some good info but no confirmation that anyone has had this done by a 3rd party and indicative costs. So thought I would ask the question :)

Thanks in advance!
F pace R sport 20d auto. Fuji White. 19" 'Bionic' 5 twin-spoke alloy wheels. Sliding pano roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w ICTP. Front & Rear view camera. Adaptive Dynamics. Adaptive LEDs. Rear seat remote release.

Coopsterdude

Re: Tow Bar

Post by Coopsterdude » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:43 pm

I've always had mine fitted by a friend who's a Director of a well known tow bar manufacturer. I went to him after purchasing my F Pace and his advice (for the first time ever) was to actually have the dealer one fitted - not so much for the tow bar, but the electrics integration - think electrics on Jags (OK it's more technology) and warranty claims!!

They had made the decision NOT to manufacture one for the F Pace, and when asked/pushed to fit they were importing from a German manufacturer and cost wise was only about £120 less than the main stealer..........where as in the past he's been better than half the price when done at mates rates.
2.0D AWD Prestige Auto. BRG, Oyster trim with Pistachio stitching, Privacy Glass, Activity Key and Towbar

m1k3y

Post by m1k3y » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Thanks Coopsterdude, makes sense.

I did go and talk to a local tow-fit accessory place and they also said that historically they have avoided Jags due to 'codes' required to integrate (I just smiled and nodded as i didn't have a clue), but he did also say that it may have changed now as Jag are allowing more 3rd parties to retrofit the equipment and electrics.

Perhaps not though. Thanks again :)
F pace R sport 20d auto. Fuji White. 19" 'Bionic' 5 twin-spoke alloy wheels. Sliding pano roof. Privacy glass. Mood lighting. 380w ICTP. Front & Rear view camera. Adaptive Dynamics. Adaptive LEDs. Rear seat remote release.

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:28 pm

m1k3y wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:11 pm
Thanks Coopsterdude, makes sense.

I did go and talk to a local tow-fit accessory place and they also said that historically they have avoided Jags due to 'codes' required to integrate (I just smiled and nodded as i didn't have a clue), but he did also say that it may have changed now as Jag are allowing more 3rd parties to retrofit the equipment and electrics.

Perhaps not though. Thanks again :)

I believe it's down to recognising the trailer and activating the Trailer Stability Assist function. We did actually have fun and games when he fitted one to my Freelander 2 (also JLR group!).
2.0D AWD Prestige Auto. BRG, Oyster trim with Pistachio stitching, Privacy Glass, Activity Key and Towbar

m1k3y

Post by m1k3y » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Dealer quote £1212.00 inc VAT & Fitting :o

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:11 pm

I have the same problem, when purchased the car had no towbar and Jag could not supply one so got an aftermarket bar fitted BUT the OEM electrics would not work. From memory the dealer quoted me £1400 but none available.

Apparently Jaguar changed the operating system from June cars onwards and the aftermarket suppliers haven't caught up yet, it will get sorted, eventually, probably a standard relay system could be fitted but car sensors etc would not switch off.
F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

Coopsterdude

Post by Coopsterdude » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 am

m1k3y wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 pm
Wow that's expensive - I'll dig my invoice out, but mine was significantly less than that. Have the dealer misunderstood the pack that comes for the tow bar and added in the extras such as the towing module, under tray, electrics etc, which actually come included with the full tow bar kit.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/F-PACE_ ... 254333.pdf

jstitch

Post by jstitch » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Brink (Thule) do a kit for the F Pace, which I have.

if you do a bit of research on Brink you may come to the conclusion that they supply the OEM item.

Look on the Brink website

Deltasierra

Post by Deltasierra » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm

jstitch wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:43 pm
Brink (Thule) do a kit for the F Pace, which I have.

if you do a bit of research on Brink you may come to the conclusion that they supply the OEM item.

Look on the Brink website
Brink supplied the module I have got which does not work, they had the chassis number, but could not ( or would not) supply one that works with a recent car.
Anybody had an aftermarket towbar on a recent car that works.
F Pace Prestige 2 liter Auto, tow bar, reversing camera, 14 way seats, 18 inch all season tyres
XKR Convertible

m1k3y

Post by m1k3y » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 am

Coopsterdude wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 am
m1k3y wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:44 pm
Wow that's expensive - I'll dig my invoice out, but mine was significantly less than that. Have the dealer misunderstood the pack that comes for the tow bar and added in the extras such as the towing module, under tray, electrics etc, which actually come included with the full tow bar kit.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/Images/F-PACE_ ... 254333.pdf
Think I will ask a few more dealers for quotes :)

Return to “Faults & Technical”