Stop and start

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Jim
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Telford, Shropshire

Re: Stop and start

Post by Jim » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

I had what is probably the same or similar Stop/Start system on my XF which I owned for 5 years and over 100,000 miles and had (and still have) no issues with the system, no problems with the auxilliary battery (in the XF) or with the starter motor. I did learn to nudge the steering if I wanted the engine running so I could dart out into gaps in traffic on busy roads or make a swift start (and also selecting 1st).

Most of the time I simply didn't and still don't notice the Stop/Start as I'm not usually in a hurry and it picks up in time to not be noticable for most of the times I pull away from being stationary.

I have now done just over 15,000 miles in my F-Pace.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.


Coopsterdude
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:18 pm

Re: Stop and start

Post by Coopsterdude » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Gato Grande wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:40 pm
Cor, you are a brain storm Coops, the things you know, I’m impressed,
Actual I’m just a bit of a geek and tend to analyse things to the nth degree!!!!
No longer an active member.


User avatar
Tim W
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:52 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Stop and start

Post by Tim W » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 pm
To be honest its only fitted so they can meet the new laws with cars and pollution.

I turn it off every time i drive the car as personally i find it a pain in the backside, just wish it would remember the fact i turned it off as every time you start the car you have to turn it off.
This.

I couldn't agree more.

That's a first :lol:
Polaris white 3.0D S, 22 Helix wheels, full pano roof, deplorable side-steps, privacy glass, carbon fibre bits, splash guards and a few other toys


User avatar
Saski
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Re: Stop and start

Post by Saski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 pm

[/ by Gdank » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:26 am

Man can you tell me when you find out what’s wrong please ... I’ll then damange mine the same way - so hate stop start and pressing the off button every time!quote]

It was the battery that caused the issue and it was replaced under warranty- now works again so it’ll be back to switching it off again :roll:

Saski
June 2016: Polaris R-Sport AWD & black where it's needed 8-). You have to love them to own one.........


simonp
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 am

Re: Stop and start

Post by simonp » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:04 pm

Tim W wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm
Jagfpacejk wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 pm
To be honest its only fitted so they can meet the new laws with cars and pollution.

I turn it off every time i drive the car as personally i find it a pain in the backside, just wish it would remember the fact i turned it off as every time you start the car you have to turn it off.
This.

I couldn't agree more.

That's a first :lol:
I've got a 67 plate F pace courtesy car and it does remember the Stop/Start setting! Another nice feature is that it doesn't show the Stop/Start disabled indicator on the dash unless you are stationary. Wonder if I can get this enabled on my 66 place F Pace?


Jagfpacejk
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Stop and start

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:15 pm

simonp wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Tim W wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm
Jagfpacejk wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 7:44 pm
To be honest its only fitted so they can meet the new laws with cars and pollution.

I turn it off every time i drive the car as personally i find it a pain in the backside, just wish it would remember the fact i turned it off as every time you start the car you have to turn it off.
This.

I couldn't agree more.

That's a first :lol:
I've got a 67 plate F pace courtesy car and it does remember the Stop/Start setting! Another nice feature is that it doesn't show the Stop/Start disabled indicator on the dash unless you are stationary. Wonder if I can get this enabled on my 66 place F Pace?
Did you get your own car to have the rember last setting option after it’s return?
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6


RaVolVoR
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:15 pm
Location: SE London/Kent

Re: Stop and start

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm

I just wish the enabling of the reverse camera disabled the stop start then I'd leave it alone but parking can be a challenge as the car is so wide that the number of to and fro motions needed in some car parks means I kill stop start just after starting car and just before releasing electric hand brake..... the consequent emissions can do one!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!


Jagfpacejk
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Stop and start

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:15 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm
I just wish the enabling of the reverse camera disabled the stop start then I'd leave it alone but parking can be a challenge as the car is so wide that the number of to and fro motions needed in some car parks means I kill stop start just after starting car and just before releasing electric hand brake..... the consequent emissions can do one!
The bigger issue with start stop is the damage to the engine, when you go out for a long motorway drive and then come to a stop the engine turns off, so where does all that heat that's built up and the turbo heat go.

I remember being told to never turn your car off when you have been on long blasts or long journeys as soon as you get to your destination, I was told to let the car idle for 30 seconds to let everything cool down, with start stop it will just turn off and I do wonder how many turbos ect this feature will kill.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6


RaVolVoR
Posts: 922
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:15 pm
Location: SE London/Kent

Re: Stop and start

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 pm

A valid point fir the turbo unit or units.... heat soak ruins bearings, but some cleverer German cars have electric oil pump just for this purpose. Jaguar engineers are not usually that clever.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!


Jagfpacejk
Posts: 4260
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Stop and start

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm

RaVolVoR wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 pm
A valid point fir the turbo unit or units.... heat soak ruins bearings, but some cleverer German cars have electric oil pump just for this purpose. Jaguar engineers are not usually that clever.
Never heard any pump running ever when I switched my car off so it would have to be so quiet you can not hear it and I somewhat doubt it is fitted to any F-paces.

I think most manufacturers think they will fail outside of the cars warranty period so they do not care to be honest.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest