Apple Carplay

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
redonebe

Re: Apple Carplay

Post by redonebe » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Smitten wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:53 pm
redonebe wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:32 pm
Koa wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Strange. I find the sat nav quite good and simple to use. Reasonably reliable traffic updates as well. It's not perfect but what is? Not too sure about your eyesight though if you think a 2011 X3 is superior to an F Pace :lol:
You are missing the point. We don't have traffic updates. Even not by TMC. :cry: :evil:

And you have to read more carefully. I said technical superior. Not optical. :roll: But you are right, my eyesight is not what it used to be. :D
2.0D Prestige, Ultimate Black, Jet, Intouch Pro , privacy, 18" Lightweight 15, cup holder cover....,

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:55 am

No traffic updates in Belgium? I had traffic updates when driving UK to Germany in December so not sure what the issue is there? Is it about subscriptions? Or something else?

Still don't agree that a 2011 car can be technically superior to a modern car. My previous car was a 2010 Audi A6. Nice car but not in same league gizmo wise. Mind you, my eyesight isn't what it used to be either...
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Neilfx

Post by Neilfx » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:24 am

Smitten wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:55 am
No traffic updates in Belgium? I had traffic updates when driving UK to Germany in December so not sure what the issue is there? Is it about subscriptions? Or something else?

Still don't agree that a 2011 car can be technically superior to a modern car. My previous car was a 2010 Audi A6. Nice car but not in same league gizmo wise. Mind you, my eyesight isn't what it used to be either...
Hi Smitten,
Whilst I can’t comment on the BMW matter as my wife’s 2006 BMW318ci is not equipped with satnav, I think the OPs point is that cars sold in Belgium with ICTP are not equipped with any exterior connectivity (as in quite a few markets, such as my own) and therefore do not have traffic updates, as there is nowhere for these updates to come from.
I agree with his opinion that the satnav supplied with the fPace is atrocious (my word), I use my iPhone for routing guidance with the fPace satnav displayed on the dashboard because the display is excellent but the guidance is dreadful. An example is, if I visit my daughter the iPhone chooses the shortest route using motorways but the fPace attempts to take me off the motorway at every junction up until the point that it finally has no option but to choose the google maps route, and I have motorway selected in the settings menu.
The satnav supplied regularly brings me over mountains via backroads taking much longer than google maps on appalling roads. I think Jaguar were sold a pup with this satnav, as the display is superb.
Prestige 2.0 dsl, AWD Man. Ammonite Grey, elec seats,lumbar, ICTP, htd screen, pwr tailgate, park aid, rear camera, adaptive dyn, recline rear seats, oyster lthr and headliner, ash tray (no I don't smoke) cup cover, removable tow bar

redonebe

Post by redonebe » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 am

Smitten wrote:

I did not take the Incontrol option because it was 1,000 € and I think the remote start can not be used legaly in Belgium. Not 100% sure about this but if I knew at that time thad I did not have any traffic warnings and it was not possible to have ACP I would have payed for the option.

What I meant with technical superior was that the engine had +/- the same power and the weight of the car was +/- the same. Still the fuel consumption was the same or better over a long distance. It was also quicker from 0-100km and was more agile. The engine was also smoother. I can not think of any gizmo the F-Pace have the BMW did not have. The other way around I can think of a few. The BMW had auto brake and also braked automatically when going downhill with cruise control.

The looks and the seating position were the reasons I choose for the F-Pace but after 50.000 km I would trade it for an X3 with the same mileage without hesitation. I would even consider trading it for an X1. The FP was already more than 10 times in for various reasons. None of them serious.

I did 170.000 km with the BMW in 4 years and he never let me down. Only had to change the fuel injectors at 100.000 km because they were noisy when freezing during the first 2 km. They did it under warranty .

My original plan was to drive the FP for 10 years because I am going to retire in the next year and not going to do long distances anymore but I think the best thing to do is to get rid of the FP as soon as possible because I am afraid of the cost after the warranty. After almost 3 years they still don't have fixed the ICTP. Every day I wonder what is not going to work. iPhone USB connection, bluetooth, Satnav not starting. Or nothing at all. If we had the same possibilities to reject a car as you have in UK I would have rejected it in the first month.
2.0D Prestige, Ultimate Black, Jet, Intouch Pro , privacy, 18" Lightweight 15, cup holder cover....,

Smitten

Post by Smitten » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Strange there is no connectivity in some overseas markets. Why is this?

As for quality and build issues mine is a MY2018 and I have had no problems at all. It's a very good car. I think quality has improved a lot since earlier models. Pity you have had a bad experience.
3.0d S, Santorini black, black pack, 22" black rims, LEDs, Priv, 350W, ICTP, Ebony interior, AdSR, space saver, config ambient, remote release, lumbar, winter pack, rear recline. Build date Friday 13/4/18 :D

Koa

Post by Koa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Neilfx wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:24 am
Smitten wrote:

Hi Smitten,
Whilst I can’t comment on the BMW matter as my wife’s 2006 BMW318ci is not equipped with satnav, I think the OPs point is that cars sold in Belgium with ICTP are not equipped with any exterior connectivity (as in quite a few markets, such as my own) and therefore do not have traffic updates, as there is nowhere for these updates to come from.
I agree with his opinion that the satnav supplied with the fPace is atrocious (my word), I use my iPhone for routing guidance with the fPace satnav displayed on the dashboard because the display is excellent but the guidance is dreadful. An example is, if I visit my daughter the iPhone chooses the shortest route using motorways but the fPace attempts to take me off the motorway at every junction up until the point that it finally has no option but to choose the google maps route, and I have motorway selected in the settings menu.
The satnav supplied regularly brings me over mountains via backroads taking much longer than google maps on appalling roads. I think Jaguar were sold a pup with this satnav, as the display is superb.
Hi,

I just want to add that I live in Luxembourg and can concur my MY19 F Pace (1 mth old) has the large display with Sat Nav without any traffic updates. The navigation is the worst I have used in almost 6 years living in Luxembourg as previous two cars were BMW's which had (no SIM) live traffic updates and better navigation (i.e would give options for economy route, fastest route or avoid major roads etc). When I bought this car the dealer assumed Apple Carplay could be retro fitted as all information they had was that MY2019 models would have this option. I currently have my iphone stuck above the display just so I can have navigation. The screen and TCT display look nice but is just a waste as the software is so bad. JLR this is 2019 so as the infotainment is so bad add Apple Carplay / AA so that we can have a car which has sat nav that works!

Rusk

Post by Rusk » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm

I've been following this all with interest! I will be asking for an update to the car when I next head to the dealer. Many problems with the ICTP. I've seen several comments here and elsewhere about which ports you need to have the smart pack added. I have a MY19 F-Pace with two USB and a SIM slot and WiFi hot spot. Is this a configuration that can support carplay?
On Order: F-Pace SVR
Current: 2018 F-Pace S 3.0D

Neilfx

Post by Neilfx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 am

Rusk wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:30 pm
I've been following this all with interest! I will be asking for an update to the car when I next head to the dealer. Many problems with the ICTP. I've seen several comments here and elsewhere about which ports you need to have the smart pack added. I have a MY19 F-Pace with two USB and a SIM slot and WiFi hot spot. Is this a configuration that can support carplay?
My understanding is that if you have a SIM card slot your car should be capable of ACP and/or AA. Some dealers apparently only do the update if you report problems with the ICTP, so make sure you tell them you have problems.
Prestige 2.0 dsl, AWD Man. Ammonite Grey, elec seats,lumbar, ICTP, htd screen, pwr tailgate, park aid, rear camera, adaptive dyn, recline rear seats, oyster lthr and headliner, ash tray (no I don't smoke) cup cover, removable tow bar

Neilfx

Post by Neilfx » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:44 am

Smitten wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm
Strange there is no connectivity in some overseas markets. Why is this?

As for quality and build issues mine is a MY2018 and I have had no problems at all. It's a very good car. I think quality has improved a lot since earlier models. Pity you have had a bad experience.
Apparently Jaguar installed lesser/cheaper USB modules on cars supplied with ICTP but in markets where they chose not to provide Connect Pro. It appears then to have come as a surprise to them that these USB modules could not operate ACP/AA. However, to rectify the problem would require serious effort to the wiring loom, making it unattractive for them to do this work.
It is very disappointing.

Reggraham

Post by Reggraham » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Looking at the parts catalogue wiring looms for older cars were listed as different ranges eg base and premium so a base loom wouldn't have cable for options that were only found in the premium models. These days however the listing has changed to one part number for the loom with the caveat that the VIN is required to order suggesting that looms are now made to order for the destination vehicle cutting out all of the extra cost of cable and connectors that are not required for that order. There is probably still a very basic base loom from which they all start and then all options are added to produce the final loom.

As looms are produced off site they are almost certainly sent orders for looms based on the build number each vehicle has. They have been doing this for sometime because when I added the rear camera to my MY10 XF I had to replace the loom in the boot lid and add the video cable which went from the rear loom to the display head missing out a couple of junctions along the way and add the extra cables required between the rear junction box and the boot loom.

Manufacturers do not see after build add-ons a a market they are at all interested in, assuming that the buyer of the new car has ordered exactly what he or she wants and buyers of used vehicles search the market to find vehicles with the extras they want or just accept what they get.
F-Pace Portfolio MY19 25T Yulong While/Light Oyster 20" wheels, Park Pack, Drive Pack, Touch Pro nav pack
Range Rover Evoque Dynamic MY15 Firenze Red Black Pack, Park Pack

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”