Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

J L R (just like rover)

25K views 83 replies 22 participants last post by  blackjagmike 
#1 ·
Sorry for the title but having been in the fortunate position to change my car's every two years over the past seventeen years I thought here's a car that really getting my juices flowing and it s BRITISH. Having gone through 3 Lexus 1 Mercedes and 7 BMW s I decided this incarnation was for me . Having had the car delivered just before Xmas I have already been to local dealer three times ,which in itself has been a culture shock having dealt with the above mentioned other marques who treat you with far more courtesy and understanding as opposed to general apathy and a patronising attitude of we don't have any problems. Well here's the list on a £46000, vehicle with less than 500 miles on the clock.

Bonnet does not line up with front bumper
Boot does not line up with rear bumper or rear quarter panel s
Rear passenger door seals coming away
Rattle in centre consul
Rear passenger shut line on doors inconsistent and tapering
Rear tailgate works when it feels like it.
On off engine function won t disengage even though the switch light goes off
Navigation screen performs like a Television from the 1950 s.

Currently been told I will hear from their bodyshoppe to book car in , I am now taking advice and considering rejecting the vehicle as I can almost accept small mechanical and electrical issues but not to have at least two thirds of the body panels altered on a brand new vehicle. What the hell is going on how are they getting out of the factory especially as it seems a common issue since viewing this forum why is it continuing . They don't even have their own bodyshoppe s it all out sourced ,and been told the bodyshoppe has to wait for approval from jaguar before they can fix it ,so they won t give me a date just said it could take weeks .

Why oh why did I let my heart rule my head I should have known even when they come up with a brilliant product ,they have not got the ability to produce it or back it up . As for customer services it is non existent still waiting for replies to phone messages and e mails and having spoken to a jlr employee I probably won't t get one . Don t get me wrong I d be telling lies if I said never had any problems with the marques mentioned above but never anything on this scale and they all sorted the problems out without all this protracted politics and attitude from the dealerships .As per usual in this country they will probably only take stock and learn when it s to late ,and then blame everything on something else instead of looking in the mirror NOW and sorting it out .

Sorry for my war and peace thread but at least I m going to feel better for the next few minutes

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't hesitate, reject it now at £46k there are no excuses for shoddy products. Your car could be a re-incarnation of this whole forum of discontent from the last 9 months, you just about got all the issues found in one hit which is shocking.

I'd actually reject but ask for a replacement vehicle (same spec) and see how many cars it takes for them to get one right from the start... but then that's my macabre sense of humour!

#3 ·
Hi Shonk

Sorry to hear about your experience. It's really does beggar belief that cars are still being delivered like this. I 'only' had two panel alignment issues with my car on delivery but both prevented me from bonding with it. There's nothing more disappointing than having the joy of months of anticipation dashed when they pull back the cover to reveal a wonky nose. Well OK there are plenty of things worse, but in context you get my drift.

Fortunately I have a truly excellent dealer who firstly were very upfront about how it should have been caught at PDI, and once they had admonished themselves they sprang to action. My car spent over 25% of it's first 3 months either at the bodyshop or with the service department attempting fixes and updates, resulting in a replacement being ordered. Again the dealer was excellent in their handling of this.

This is my fifth JLR ... and I still love the brand ... and I am pretty sure it won't be my last. The experience really does seem to vary greatly from dealer to dealer.

#7 ·
Welcome to the ownership of Jaguar Fpace, I have one of the first off the production line and it arrived with panel alignment issues, you would think nearly a year on they would have resolved these issues but the it's in tolerance reply and attitude you're going to get is just not acceptable. You will find many threads on hear with people having the same issues as you, some like mine were sorted by my excellent dealer, others not so lucky.

#11 ·
Reign it in a bit Max. Constructive comments welcome but no need to be rude.

I was presented with this after 5 months of anticipation and £62,000

Wheel Car Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

On the RHS the panels were touching and the nose was sitting on top of the bonnet. On the LHS the gap was 11mm and the nose was 3mm below the bonnet. The dealer admitted this was way outside the build tolerances.

Attachments

#12 ·
There's no excuse for bonnet shut lines to look like that, no excuse. I've been pretty lucky, not fault free but those bonnet lines, that's just unforgivable.

#13 ·
We'll all I can say is max 101 sounds like a jlr employee and perhaps he could send me a cheque for £46000 lol. And whilst it s not a Bentley I have also just recently taken delivery of a box standard Peugeot 108 for my daughter and the panel fit on this £8,700 car make my f pace look embarrassing to say the least . But as I stated before I love the look and concept of the car just do not understand why they are leaving the factory like it especially after over a year does anyone out there really think this would be happening with similar priced Japanese or German cars after a year of the same reaccuring problems I know what my answer is .

#18 ·
Shonk1 said:
We'll all I can say is max 101 sounds like a jlr employee and perhaps he could send me a cheque for £46000 lol. And whilst it s not a Bentley I have also just recently taken delivery of a box standard Peugeot 108 for my daughter and the panel fit on this £8,700 car make my f pace look embarrassing to say the least . But as I stated before I love the look and concept of the car just do not understand why they are leaving the factory like it especially after over a year does anyone out there really think this would be happening with similar priced Japanese or German cars after a year of the same reaccuring problems I know what my answer is .
I've been....had been JLR for 14 yrs, rejected my FP due to blah, blah, you've all read it. So when JLR would not replace it as they could guarantee the replacement would be any better, that's grim. I bought a crappy new 3.2 litre Ford Ranger Wildtrak and I've had a blast in it, makes me smile, everything works, had a 900 watt Amp SUB and speakers fitted at £2k which knocks my old 825w Meridian system out the park, can't even have it on full volume!!! Ok I'm getting 24mpg and since it's a dual use vehicle weighing too much, it's also on reduced speed limits!! But those things aside I still bloody love it! The Jag was bloody gorgeous and ticked every box but didn't work!!! and JLR's attitude was terrible, hence full money refund. They had the market at their fingertips but as you rightly say JUST LIKE ROVER!!!

#19 ·
Sorry to hear that these faults are still happening nearly 3 month after I rejected mine for some of the above mainly panel issues(15 in total)
my strong advice to you is maybe not what you want to hear but I've been there with jaguar
If it's less than 30 days old HAND IT BACK TOMORROW if older than 30 days you will get treated like an idiot
If u need help and want to do it there are a good few on her willing to help you feel free to pm me if you need help

#20 ·
I understand what your saying but having taken legal advice what do you mean by hand it back and what do you drive for three to four months to anyone that has handed it back what has then been the sequence of events from then I would appreciate comments asap as decision to be made

#21 ·
^ Hi Shonk

What he means is that because your car is less than 30 days old you can simply hand it back without giving them the chance to fix the issues.

The process for me was very straightforward. I formally rejected my vehicle after 90 days of ownership. The dealer dealt directly with the finance company on my behalf. As my car is not dangerous they gave me the option of remaining in it whilst the replacement was ordered. I was also offered the option of a refund (although I suspect a deduction would have been made for usage, but since I was happy with a replacement I didn't investigate further)

I've been kept up to date by the dealer in exactly the same way as before and the car was built this week (6 weeks following rejection) and will be delivered to the dealer next week and ready for collection before the end of the month.

I'm delighted with the way the whole thing has been handled, so be clear and firm, but polite. Mistakes happen. The law is on your side, hopefully you have a good dealer who wants to get this sorted.

Good luck.

#22 ·
Whilst waiting for the jlr customer service s to crawl into action I have been reviewing all the issues on this forum relating to poor body panels I e fit etc and noticed since it s incarnation nearly all the issues related to the front driver's side of the bonnet and the rear passenger side of the tailgate if the problems are so consistent why oh why is it still happening even when dealers agree the problem is there .

#23 ·
Shonk1 said:
I understand what your saying but having taken legal advice what do you mean by hand it back and what do you drive for three to four months to anyone that has handed it back what has then been the sequence of events from then I would appreciate comments asap as decision to be made
Shonk
As JLR said within 30 days the law is on your side after that it becomes very messy if you decide to REJECT your car for a full refund(which you will not receive!!!)
They will offer to build you another car all nicey nicey but the minute you mention you want to reject it ,that's when the fun begins ( deduction from your deposit and,deduction from your monthly payments paid to date for "USAGE" of FAULTY goods and EVEN SLOWER response times from management / jaguar ) you also need to consider that if you must have a premium suv you will be looking at 10/12 weeks delivery I would recommend to anybody collecting a new fpace DO NOT drive it off the forecourt unless you are 100% happy with everything regardless of how excited you are after waiting months for your car

#24 ·
Shonk1 said:
Whilst waiting for the jlr customer service s to crawl into action I have been reviewing all the issues on this forum relating to poor body panels I e fit etc and noticed since it s incarnation nearly all the issues related to the front driver's side of the bonnet and the rear passenger side of the tailgate if the problems are so consistent why oh why is it still happening even when dealers agree the problem is there .
As it would mean they would have to do something about it, either if its a robot or human problem which costs money.

As it would appear so random with the way they come off the production line i would say its more human error as a robot would do the same time and again which leads me to believe they are either under so much pressure to build them so quickly that quality has dropped or Jaguar just have poor tolerances to this sort of thing.

#25 ·
With all respect Ro66ter thats not the legal advice I've had. You can have up to 6 months to reject and even more if the problems continue and are not fixed first time. The lovely lady at the Ombudsman also did not sound too impressed at all about the quality of the vehicle and how I've been treated. She was talking of claiming for distress etc etc. Time will tell but I'm certainly going to fight it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.