Strange......

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
pgk

Re: Strange......

Post by pgk » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:00 pm

Have a T junction 100 yards up the road, and turn right 80% of the time. Often have to do it in a hurry due to traffic streams. Last car Merc C220 with low profiles often skidded when using a bit of boot - breaking my heart at extra tyre wear!
My "informed" friends identified the problem as low profile tyres?
Imagine my surprise when it happened with the AWD and "high" profile tyres the first time I had to do it with the FPace - is it because the AWD isn't as instantaneous as its supposed to be?

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:13 pm

^ yes I reckon so.

If you turn the ASi view on you will see the power distribution between the rear and front. As you pull away from a junction you will see it start in 100% rear and then shift power to the front. The front wheel judder happens just before power transfer kicks in. Makes sense really.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:23 pm

I have noticed this as well but it does go away as everything warms up and is generally only when first moving off at the beginning of journeys. I almost can't wait (too tight fisted really) for my Pirellis to wear out so I can replace them with something else.

With my XJ and XF I found Michelin tyres gave much better handling and ride than the factory fitted Pirellis, though didn't try any others to see if there were even better options.
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

wary

Post by wary » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:49 pm

I have the same issue too.

Jasonfpace

Post by Jasonfpace » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Yep same issue here. Had the same thing with my Vw Touareg, again on Pirellis. Changed to general grabbers which are cheaper and lasted so much longer and also had much better grip. Also can't wait for these to wear out and try something else. Struggling to find much though for 22".
White 3.0d, black/red seats and black roof, privacy glass, black pack, 22" double helix, panoramic sliding roof, cup holder cover and rear release lever.

Gdank

Post by Gdank » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:56 pm

Yeah I too have had this happen sometimes, must be a "feature" ;-)
Owned : 3.0d Sport (2016) - Owned 1 Year! 7000 miles : Issues = None - Stolen! Get a Steering Wheel Lock!

2wgeese

Post by 2wgeese » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:02 pm

It's summer tyres scrabbling for grip on cold surfaces. Put winter tyres on and the effect will go away. It shows how much grip you lose by staying on summer tyres in cold weather. The other option is wait until the ambient temperature rises past 15C as the "scrabbling" will also go away then. Forget about criticising Pirellis as all summer tyres will do it; there is some mild variation across brands dependent upon the tyre charateristics.

MyNameIsMatt

Post by MyNameIsMatt » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:33 pm

I've noticed this too from day 1 - more noticeable when the tyres are cold but I've also noticed it when the tyres are warmed up and also with warm as well as cold weather! Go figure that one out!

I reckon it's triggered by marginal front wheel slippage when the wheels are turned beyond 60-70 degrees or so and the transfer box throws power to the front wheels causing the traction control to do its thing...

Is it also noticeable in 2.0d AWDs or more so in the 3.0?
3.0d glacier white, jet seats & headlining, privacy glass, black pack, 20" black venom, InControl Touch Pro with 380w, oh and the best bit is the remote release levers for the second row!

StevenH

Post by StevenH » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 pm

MyNameIsMatt wrote:I've noticed this too from day 1 - more noticeable when the tyres are cold but I've also noticed it when the tyres are warmed up and also with warm as well as cold weather! Go figure that one out!

I reckon it's triggered by marginal front wheel slippage when the wheels are turned beyond 60-70 degrees or so and the transfer box throws power to the front wheels causing the traction control to do its thing...

Is it also noticeable in 2.0d AWDs or more so in the 3.0?
Had this all the time (since start of November so quite cold first thing) with the standard summers on the the 22" but don't get it all since I put winters on 3 weeks ago. Summer rubber issue? Difference very noticeable.

DPE

Post by DPE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:33 pm

Is there an answer to this issue or do you have to live with the tyre jumping ?
F Pace 3.0d S AWD, Corris Grey, Heated Seats front/Rear, Heated Steering Wheel, Panoramic roof, Space Saver wheel and Nice wheels, lots of Stuff.. and cup covers 8-)

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”