Strange......

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
MikeyT

Strange......

Post by MikeyT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:43 am

Wondered if anyone else is experiencing this.......

I'm stationary at forward exiting my driveway or at a T-junction and turning right.

Start to pull away turning hard right and get a split second sensation of wheel slip on left front wheel, the kind of thing that might happen if say wheel was driving over a wet leaf of wet drain cover or small patch of ice.

Thought this may have been the case initially but has happened too frequently to be the reason, All very strange.

Is anyone else experiencing this or can offer suggestions as to what might be happening?

MikeyT

FPTrevor

Re: Strange......

Post by FPTrevor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:48 am

I had similar knocking when reversing took in to dealer they said it was the steering adjusting itself.

corriescar66

Post by corriescar66 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:31 pm

MikeyT wrote:Wondered if anyone else is experiencing this.......

I'm stationary at forward exiting my driveway or at a T-junction and turning right.

Start to pull away turning hard right and get a split second sensation of wheel slip on left front wheel, the kind of thing that might happen if say wheel was driving over a wet leaf of wet drain cover or small patch of ice.

Thought this may have been the case initially but has happened too frequently to be the reason, All very strange.

Is anyone else experiencing this or can offer suggestions as to what might be happening?

MikeyT
Yes, I've noticed this a few times on full lock.... It sort of 'jumps' perhaps the grip of the tyres can't cope with the rate of turn.....
Nov 2016: 3.0 S V6 Supercharged Petrol/Italiana da Corsa Rossa / Jet-Taurus/ 22" Helix etc....

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:43 pm

MikeyT wrote:Wondered if anyone else is experiencing this.......

MikeyT
Yep ... happens every time with me when I have lock at anything over about 90%. Used to happen on my Evoque at full lock.

I think it's worse on the 22s ... a side effect of damn big wheels! You get used to it.

If you put the ASi traction screen on you will see it happens at the precise moment the AWD system engages front wheel drive.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Happens to me too. First thing every morning in fact. Bring back Roman roads!
3 lt diesel, rhodium, jet leather, 22inch Dble helix, fixed pan roof, privacy glass, in control pro, space saver, gloss black side vents.

MikeyT

Post by MikeyT » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks for all of the quick responses.

Reassuring I'm not alone on this issue and that it is nothing serious.

MikeyT

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:22 pm

This is an issue my previous XF had. The Pirelli P Zero tyres are so stiff in the tyre walls that when cold they cannot cope with the twisting effort of steering and rolling. Once you've done two corners does it go away?

I get this on the 19inch P Zeroes on my car. For my previous XF, Jaguar gave me (yes - free - no payment!) a full set of Goodyear Eagles I think and they were less prone to it. The design of low rolling resistance tyres makes the tyre walls quite rigid. The more the rubber flexes, the warmer the tyre gets the more energy is used in rolling, bad for mpg! Low rolling energy tyres are worse than others at this. Some tyres suit different cars better than others.

As I only have a 2.0dI can't test this next theory, thrash the car on pulling away, does the spinning wheel do the same thing :) this is not a serious suggestion by the way, unless you turn off traction control.
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:12 pm

^ you also need a gearbox that doesn't go "what? .. sorry? .. you want power? .. oh hang on ... let me go find some ...." :lol:

... by the way I just watched yet another review on YouTube complaining that the 0-62 of the F Pace is much slower than manufacturer claims, yet AGAIN they are pulling away in 2nd!
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Have to add to the list, at first i thought it was something on the road its like at ABS system knock feel but i was accelerating, i guess its something as said you get used to, i found being slight more subtle on the accelerator pedal has helped and not trying to hammer it. :)
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm

How strange, I was going to post this!!! The dealer demo I have is way worse than my identical S on 22"'s. It can be a proper jolt, as if the wheels are not turning at the same rate as the car.
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”