Strange......

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Matteus F-Pace

Re: Strange......

Post by Matteus F-Pace » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:40 pm

The Ackerman effect - mostly affects 4x4s - a skipping or lurching of the wheels when the vehicle is turning sharply. The effect is created by the inside and outside wheels traveling at different speeds and distances. Essentially the outside wheels are traveling further, creating a skipping or jumping effect. A system, which was patented by Rudolph Ackermann in the 1818, turned the wheels at different angles and created a smooth turn for four-wheeled cars. However, unless the geometry is 100% accurate, the effect can still be felt, exacerbated by lower temperatures, and lower profile and wider tyres. I get it modestly on my 22" wheels when I first start a journey on a cold day with summer tyres on, but after the first sharp turn out the drive, nothing further. Now with my winter wheels, even that's gone.

The Merc GLC had a huge issue with it last year to the extent that orders were being cancelled, before they up graded the OEM tyres to decent 5star Conti's which solved it (apparently).
3.0L SC - Black - Black Pack - Black 22" wheels (20" in winter..) - ICTP - heated steering wheel - memory seat pack for 18 way sports seats - AdSR - 360 Parking Aid - LED headlights - privacy glass

Bogsey

Post by Bogsey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:54 am

Thanks for the replies, it’s doing it on a dry road too so going to get them to check the geometry when it goes in.

Musty

Post by Musty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

I have the same clunking issue with my f-pace, especially when the temperature drops.

Jaguar Land Rover say it’s the characteristic of the car, which sounds like one big cover up.

Has anyone made progress in sorted out this clunking handling fault?

My f-pace is still at the garage and I am waiting for an official response from JLR.

Renesis

Post by Renesis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:28 pm

Sorry. I forget to post my findings

Mentioned this to my dealer and was told the geometry was spot on and it’s a characteristic of the tyre. In this cold weather it’s happening fairly often if the tyres have been allowed to cooo down. Ie stopping to go in the shop
Italian Racing Red 3.0d S

Larky

Post by Larky » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:27 pm

My F Pace has the knocking when on full lock, I have been told initially that it is a characteristic of the car but after continuing the conversation with the Dealer they now tell me it is the cars that have 19' wheels. Worryingly this forum seems to point to the problem being on all tyres. My dealer tells me Jaguar are aware of the problem and are working on it.

June16

Post by June16 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 pm

Probably worth reading this thread
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3656&hilit=Tyre+skipping
MY18 Rsport 25t BRG , Ebony - Oyster, 18 way mem, Surround Cam, blis, ICTP, LED adaptive....etc

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”