Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Wobbly rear end (lateral suspension issue)

23K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  neilox1 
#1 ·
Moving this discussion to it's own thread.

Who is experiencing this? So far I have (other than myself):

RaVoIVoR
F-Pace S
jinjin
MBadger77
Pos.k
jonty1265

For those who've not followed other discussions in various posts the problem is best described and a significant lateral (side to side) movement of the rear end of the car. The front feels tight and stable, and the rear feels suitably firm in a vertical (up and down) direction, but unstable in a lateral direction. A succession of asymmetric movements of the rear wheels sets it off, such as speed humps at an angle, or a series of undulations. It's worse at slowish speeds (5-20mph) and the movement is quite pronounced.

I suspect it's only those of us who live in very urban situations that notice it. For example there isn't a street within 5 miles of my dealer in Coulsdon that sets it off, however there are 10-15 streets around where I live in Wimbledon that do. I've even changed my normal route to bypass such streets.

I was in Brighton at the weekend, and found a few streets there too. If I didn't live in a very urban environment and only encountered it occasionally I would easily shrug it off. It feels very 'out of character' for the car that most of the time has a very firm feel. Engaging Dynamic suspensions helps quite a bit (but doesn't eliminate it) but the whole point of a "normal" suspension setting is to improve comfort in more urban surroundings.

My dealer is shrugging their shoulders, but trying to help. They are organising a technical to home to my home for further investigation. I am convinced it did not occur on the first two hours I had in the original demonstrators, but they have since lent me their new demonstrator and that's identical, so I don't believe I have a fault as such, but I do think something has changed in the way the suspension is set up.

If you are experiencing this, could you PM me, as my dealer has told me the best approach is to get enough people to ask their service department raise a "quality report" with JLR.

Thanks all

JLR#5

See less See more
#2 ·
We have had that a few times. As you say the rear rocks side to side about 6 times in our case before it stops. Not really apparent what caused it but definite event. We have not driven the car for a few days but will keep a watch now others have highlighted it

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
3.0V6 S. Storm Grey. 14 way seats. 22 Double Helix black wheels. 360 PDC. Advanced Parking Pack. Adaptive Cruise Control. Adaptive LED headlights. ASR. Black Pack. Blind Spot monitoring. Mood lighting. Electric Towbar. Gesture Tailgate. HUD. Heated wheel. ICTP. Meridian. Lane keeping. Panoramic roof. Twin cup. 5 yr service and 3 year secure. Black mirrors ++

#3 ·
Selwood said:
We have had that a few times. As you say the rear rocks side to side about 6 times in our case before it stops. Not really apparent what caused it but definite event. We have not driven the car for a few days but will keep a watch now
Yes on once instance with a load in the boot I got this at about 8mph on a turn and it wobbled so bad with the weight in back I thought it was "wagging the dog" and felt very unsafe. Never had it that bad since but can be quite violent and I'm sure a rear passenger would smack their heads if not aware.

I've reported to customer services as a complaint but I still don't think my dealer has logged it as an official report as they haven't really seen it on the brief demos

#4 ·
Yes that 4-6 bounces almost using its own inertia to wobble,

I think it's called a EQR electronic quality report ?? . If we all get them logged it may help identify the problem and for them to raise and look at it as right now I don't think it's even registering.

#5 ·
Indeed I have this odd sensation in the car, tomorrow I get it back from all the update work, not expecting a change but could be pleasantly surprised!

I had front wheels off the ground once at about 25mph from a painted mini roundabout, on return journey I think it must have been a massive 4 inches high in the middle! The front is just too stiff and doesn't apparently change in dynamic mode but the bouciness is reduced on roads that wallow up/down.

#6 ·
Post 2.5 and it's too soon I tell if there's any difference for me. I thought I noticed it on some uneven road but can't say for sure. I'll be paying more attention to the locations which make this happen and report back to jag

#8 ·
I've got dynamics pack on my r sport so could be...

#10 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
I've had two PMs as well so it's a bigger list than I thought. Pretty sure this is limited to people with adaptive dynamics but would be good to know.
Looking forward to our meet up and feeling the motion your talking about as I just don't feel it in mine.

#11 ·
Jagfpacejk said:
JLRnumber5 said:
I've had two PMs as well so it's a bigger list than I thought. Pretty sure this is limited to people with adaptive dynamics but would be good to know.
Looking forward to our meet up and feeling the motion your talking about as I just don't feel it in mine.
Yes I think it's a mathematical over calculation and I think it actually calculates against it's own movement at times.
Be good to see others let us know when and where your meeting up if there's room ad it's not a candlelit dinner for two :)
Might be able to make it

#12 ·
It's the latest attraction at JLR#5 world. If you pay a premium you can get a wrist band which gets you priority access to the wobbly rear end ride :shock:

#14 ·
Got car back with 2.5 and all suspension work applied, service guy didn't have a clue about work done he was "covering" for regular team. Suffice to say that if its not on Topix its not been done! Haven't really had much chance since collection to drive it but it didn't feel any better in short journey so far, not really a surprise though.

#15 ·
So I just returned from a 2.5 hour fairly fast blast .. such an enjoyable car to munch the miles in as I've said before ... the car was feeling particularly compliant and supple, even in dynamic mode, so I ventured onto the streets that usual set off my rear end wobble. Nothing. Well ok a little bit but certainly not the uncomfortable risk of whiplash or smacking the side of your head on the window that usually occurs. So there's a pattern developing here I think. I wonder if it only happens when the car is cold? I'm going to let it cool down and take it out again over the same roads in an hour or so .... intriguing.

#16 ·
JLRnumber5 said:
So I just returned from a 2.5 hour fairly fast blast .. such an enjoyable car to munch the miles in as I've said before ... the car was feeling particularly compliant and supple, even in dynamic mode, so I ventured onto the streets that usual set off my rear end wobble. Nothing. Well ok a little bit but certainly not the uncomfortable risk of whiplash or smacking the side of your head on the window that usually occurs. So there's a pattern developing here I think. I wonder if it only happens when the car is cold? I'm going to let it cool down and take it out again over the same roads in an hour or so .... intriguing.
Im struggling to make sense of it. I've said to you a few times it does seem ok some days and with me not having many decent places to test it then its hard to really know if I'm imagining it at times. It would explain that it truly does see to be somewhat inconsistent and erratic. Let us know.
I'll email you about some tests.

#17 ·
Mbadger77 said:
Jagfpacejk said:
JLRnumber5 said:
Yes I think it's a mathematical over calculation and I think it actually calculates against it's own movement at times.
Be good to see others let us know when and where your meeting up if there's room ad it's not a candlelit dinner for two :)
Might be able to make it
Sure if you are free and can make it we can add an extra chair to the table. :oops:

#18 ·
I just got mine back after the not so successful 2.5 patch... see the other thread. And my car definitely feels different than it did before. My loan 2.0D R-Sport was super tight, I used the speed humps coming into the car park to the dealer and and also traffic calming on my road.

In the 2.0D the rear end would "wobble" 1 to 1.5 times, so quite firm. My car before dealer visit would feel like 3 or 4 wobbles, more if you didn't hit it full on. Since I got my car back after having the updates and some error codes reset I am somewhere between the 2 not too taught that my teeth rattle, but not too soft I get sea sick. Note I have Adaptive dynamics but was in normal mode and the 2.0D was normal suspension.

Of course need to drive more than just the grumpy "bloody thing still isn't fixed" ride home... so will update after the weekend.

#19 ·
I've had two PMs as well so it's a bigger list than I thought. Pretty sure this is limited to people with adaptive dynamics but would be good to know.[/quote]

Looking forward to our meet up and feeling the motion your talking about as I just don't feel it in mine.[/quote]

Sure if you are free and can make it we can add an extra chair to the table. :oops:[/quote]

Make it a foursome ;) :oops:

G
#20 ·
I have the same issue on my 2.0d with adaptive suspensions on top of the error message on the dashboard that comes every now and then and everytime I take it to the dealer he says it's fixed and it comes back. So now I'm really angry and I will escalate this quickly.

#21 ·
Just looking through this thread and a thought crossed my mind (yes beginners luck - before someone adds this :) ) One statement "it bounces 4-6 times" and another "it seems worse when cold" could this actually be a faulty damper unit? Dampers work by throttling oil or gas through a small orifice to manage the speed of movement of the outside tube of the damper (in simple terms). Adaptive dampers have a way of either varying this orifice size or magnetically altering the viscosity of the oil. If that functionality fails/sticks/isn't consistent then we'd get this sort of behaviour. If you ever drove a car with completely failed dampers its horrible (not to mention dangerous!).

I'm not saying that our cars are dangerous, but a batch of faulty damper units could explain this completely, and given they will be a unique design to the F-Pace early models would be more likely to have this. My car is a first half June 16 build, if all of your cars are similar age we could be on to something.

or not ;)

thoughts?

#23 ·
^ yes thinking back I've had it happen both warm and cold and in both normal and dynamic mode (although it's less pronounced in dynamic)

I'm making the dealership aware I am "not alone" in this ... would appreciate a PM if you've raised this with your dealer so I can reference that in my discussions. I'm still waiting for a date for the technician to visit me at home where I am able to reliably demonstrate the problem.

#24 ·
Selwood said:
Its an interesting idea but mine happened when warm. Someone mentioned the Dynamic mode and last night I certainly noticed it with Dynamic switched on. Also have 22 inch wheels so maybe the 2 create this problem?
I borrowed a Portfolio on 22inch wheels and Adaptive but my wife and I agreed the ride was better than mine on 19inch. Glad to know as I quipped with the dealer that a wheel upgrade wasn't going to be a cheap fix!

#25 ·
I get this effect, but rarely, and sadly for me the one place it is at its worst is two manhole covers that are raised in my road. Going out no problem at all, coming home, wobble. Other than that I do not suffer it that I am aware of, so really annoying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.