Rubbing Noise - Front Half Shaft

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
F-Pace S

Re: Rubbing Noise - Front Half Shaft

Post by F-Pace S » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:52 am

Ozzypaceman wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:03 am

Martyn T - you've done the right thing. JLR don't appear to have made any progress in almost 12 months on sorting this issue out,customers will continue to reject cars and buyers that have fault-free vehicles are seeing their resale values slump - not good even if you're happy with the car!

Ozzy
Sadly Ozzy, you have hit the nail on the head, it is a sad state of affairs from Jaguar.

That said, they know how to sell cars, as barely a journey goes past without seeing two or three of them now, I do still look out for them, so if lead times have come down and numbers on the streets have come up, residuals naturally slide even without poor customer service or poor build quality. Most £60k cars depreciate badly, the FP just held it for a while.

That said RRS's hold a lot of their money in the first three years.
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:11 pm

New upload on Topix today,

SSM73473 Click Noise from the front of the vehicle during steering.

Not sure if this anything for you guys to look at.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

alan1307

Post by alan1307 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm

SSM 73492 covers the issue. Released today!

Issue:
A customer may report a concern relating to a noise from the right hand front wheel area at slow speeds. The noise is more evident when a slight steering input is applied to the steering wheel. The noise may be evident up to speeds of approximately 20mph.

Cause:
A concern has been identified with the right front driveshaft extension housing mounting emitting a resonant frequency harmonic vibration. See file (Extension Housing.pdf)). This may under certain driving conditions present itself as an audible cyclic (1 per wheel revolution) noise. The noise may be evident at speeds up to 20mph when the vehicle has a slight steering input applied. This may be more evident on vehicles fitted with 22" rim wheel and tyre assembly.

Action:
Confirm that all extension housing mounting fixings are fully torqued as per Topix specification.
The noise is not detrimental to the performance or durability of any driveline component. Currently this concern is under investigation with a planned fix date of November 2017 where a revised driveshaft extension housing assembly will be made available. There is no requirement to change any component at this stage. Once a validated fix has been released for this concern it will be communicated through the normal channels.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:16 pm

alan1307 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 pm
SSM 73492 covers the issue. Released today!

Issue:
A customer may report a concern relating to a noise from the right hand front wheel area at slow speeds. The noise is more evident when a slight steering input is applied to the steering wheel. The noise may be evident up to speeds of approximately 20mph.

Cause:
A concern has been identified with the right front driveshaft extension housing mounting emitting a resonant frequency harmonic vibration. See file (Extension Housing.pdf)). This may under certain driving conditions present itself as an audible cyclic (1 per wheel revolution) noise. The noise may be evident at speeds up to 20mph when the vehicle has a slight steering input applied. This may be more evident on vehicles fitted with 22" rim wheel and tyre assembly.

Action:
Confirm that all extension housing mounting fixings are fully torqued as per Topix specification.
The noise is not detrimental to the performance or durability of any driveline component. Currently this concern is under investigation with a planned fix date of November 2017 where a revised driveshaft extension housing assembly will be made available. There is no requirement to change any component at this stage. Once a validated fix has been released for this concern it will be communicated through the normal channels.
Well that's a step in the right direction, they have now admitted to the issue and think they have identified the issue and no doubt need to manufacture some sort of resolution, this may mean a retool of the housing which no doubt will take time and testing, no point releasing something that fixes the issue only to find it causes another.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm

I suspect this means they will no longer allow customers to reject vehicles with this issue. Which whilst I understand they are saying it's not a safety issue I would be mightily peeved to spend £60k to be told I had to wait 4-6 months for a fix.

On my car the noise became very pronounced over a 600 mile journey to the south of France. It was audible and could be felt at speeds of over 40mph. So I'm slightly doubtful about how conclusive and robust their explanation is.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:38 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm
I suspect this means they will no longer allow customers to reject vehicles with this issue. Which whilst I understand they are saying it's not a safety issue I would be mightily peeved to spend £60k to be told I had to wait 4-6 months for a fix.

On my car the noise became very pronounced over a 600 mile journey to the south of France. It was audible and could be felt at speeds of over 40mph. So I'm slightly doubtful about how conclusive and robust their explanation is.
It would be a hard one as they have already accepted rejection for this issue, they would lose any case as they have rejected the car without any fix, this is still the case, once the re-worked part fix is available in November then I can see you may have issues.

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Curing resonance issues in mechanical structures can be easy (read lucky) or really difficult (read unlucky) :cry:

Having cured issues in the past (on much simpler systems than this) where on one it was a simple 'fix' of changing the length of the arms of a support bracket to completely remove the problem and on the other it was moving parts relative to each other, changing the thickness of housings (changing its rigidity) and many other trial and error stabs at a solution. Eventually solutions were found but the path was littered with attempts that simply changed the point of resonance, keeping in mind that all physical structures will have some point of resonance, it just needs to be outside the envelope of operation.

I suspect there is an engineer somewhere in JLR adding mass to one part of the system structure, taking it away from somewhere else trying to drive the point of resonance, and its harmonics, outside the envelope of operation. I for one wish them luck as I'm sure that at the moment no one is giving them time or words of support. When they do stumble across the right combination I doubt if anyone will say 'well done', as opposed to 'it took you long enough' :shock:

But, that's why we have engineers, so we can blame them when things go wrong and ignore them when things work :D
Oct 2016 - 2.0 D, Portfolio, Auto, AWD, Ultimate Black, Light Oyster, 14-Way Front Seats with Passenger and Drivers memory pack, electrically adjustable steering wheel, 360⁰ parking aid, ICTP 380W, LED headlights, remote rear seat release.

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 am

You make some excellent points Jim. I'm just glad I'm shot of mine.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Jim wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 pm
Curing resonance issues in mechanical structures can be easy (read lucky) or really difficult (read unlucky) :cry:

Having cured issues in the past (on much simpler systems than this) where on one it was a simple 'fix' of changing the length of the arms of a support bracket to completely remove the problem and on the other it was moving parts relative to each other, changing the thickness of housings (changing its rigidity) and many other trial and error stabs at a solution. Eventually solutions were found but the path was littered with attempts that simply changed the point of resonance, keeping in mind that all physical structures will have some point of resonance, it just needs to be outside the envelope of operation.

I suspect there is an engineer somewhere in JLR adding mass to one part of the system structure, taking it away from somewhere else trying to drive the point of resonance, and its harmonics, outside the envelope of operation. I for one wish them luck as I'm sure that at the moment no one is giving them time or words of support. When they do stumble across the right combination I doubt if anyone will say 'well done', as opposed to 'it took you long enough' :shock:

But, that's why we have engineers, so we can blame them when things go wrong and ignore them when things work :D
Jim,

Fair point and well explained but that time should not be at the customer's expected period of wait, it's the question of how long is long enough and everyone will have a view for sure.

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:38 pm

I hope this does fix it, but I would like to wait and see first. That said I haven't heard of any other rejections since mine and JLR5 in march, so maybe the problem is less of an issue now??

Still glad not to have it as an issue for me I have to say...7k of faultless driving in my new motor says it can be done at the price tag.
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”