Rubbing Noise - Front Half Shaft

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
dawesbd

Rubbing Noise - Front Half Shaft

Post by dawesbd » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:40 am

Started getting a rubbing - creaking noise - couldn't really tell where from, but under the car generally.
Occurring randomly on and off, mostly on!!
Sounded like a piece of wheel arch trim or similar rubbing on a tyre.
Had a good look under and around all wheel arches - nothing obvious.

Took into dealer Barbagallo (Perth Western Oz).
They reported back that a rubber boot on a front (right?) half shaft was rubbing on a bracket.
Asked what had changed or moved to start the noise...um er well er its like um - you know the drill. mild BBB.
Anyway......warranty spares ex UK....about 2 weeks away....ok to drive meanwhile they said.

Again, stuff happens its how its dealt with and actually remedied that matters.

((3.0 diesel S, 20", production date 1 May 2016, delivered 2 Aug 2016, the first one on the road in Perth, Western Australia.
Got about 4,000km on the clock now.))

Jagfpacejk

Re: Rubbing Noise - Front Half Shaft

Post by Jagfpacejk » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:16 pm

dawesbd wrote:Started getting a rubbing - creaking noise - couldn't really tell where from, but under the car generally.
Occurring randomly on and off, mostly on!!
Sounded like a piece of wheel arch trim or similar rubbing on a tyre.
Had a good look under and around all wheel arches - nothing obvious.

Took into dealer Barbagallo (Perth Western Oz).
They reported back that a rubber boot on a front (right?) half shaft was rubbing on a bracket.
Asked what had changed or moved to start the noise...um er well er its like um - you know the drill. mild BBB.
Anyway......warranty spares ex UK....about 2 weeks away....ok to drive meanwhile they said.

Again, stuff happens its how its dealt with and actually remedied that matters.

((3.0 diesel S, 20", production date 1 May 2016, delivered 2 Aug 2016, the first one on the road in Perth, Western Australia.
Got about 4,000km on the clock now.))
Thats not great news, i guess this will be the issue for you being in Australia awaiting parts to come over if its out of the normal items.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Well well well...
I must have missed this thread first time around as I was about to add my story.

I had the same noise, they diagnosed it as a piece of trim hitting the half shalf, and decided a new bracket was to be ordered and fitted.

Two weeks later, it went in yesterday to include today for the software update as well, and here is the bad news.

It turned out not to be anything rubbing the half shaft, and they are now replacing the complete diff housing and need it for another day. I do not know any more detail at the moment, but they tell it me it was a much bigger job than was originally thought
Last edited by F-Pace S on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 am

I got my car back from dealer yesterday with all rear suspension work done, but dealer said they were starting to get complaints about noises from left hand front suspension and expected a Jaguar update for this some time soon (not sure of timescale or what soon means but if its known then its in the queue which is a plus!). Just adding this to the thread as it could all be the same issue.

Now paranoid of hearing any noises and have deliberately aimed at pot holes to try to provoke a noise, so far so good, will wait for it to majestically arrive!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 am

The noise is not provokable, it is a very similar to a wheel bearing breaking down if anyone remembers that noise from older cars? a grumbling metal on metal noise.

The dealership have just phoned to confirm it is not the diff, it is a bearing set between the diff and one of the wheels, complete replacement.

If you pull off slowly or reversing with the window down and the stereo off, you will hear the noise I assure you, no more than 10mph.
Rejected two beautiful F-Pace 3.0d S's, loved them both, other than the many faults. :cry: Back to a 535d BMW for me, not ruling out another JLR...Velar...but not in the first year of production again. JLR need to pull their socks up.

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:37 am

Thanks I'll give that a go! My dealer didn't details the exact problem, so this is very helpful. I'm not expecting a problem, just being proactive to avoid major issues. I'd rather know in advance and avoid catastrophic failure at speed!
AWD Portfolio, Italian Racing Red , a car with more "bounce" than most inflatable castles!

Jagfpacejk

Post by Jagfpacejk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:57 pm

Just a heads up but there is a jaguar recall already in place for this, not sure why some dealers are acting like they do not know, it's on topix as a recall.
Ex Owner of a Pre Launch 1st Edition Supercharged V6 and a Ex Owner of 1st Edition Diesel V6

RaVolVoR

Post by RaVolVoR » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote: Not sure why some dealers are acting like they do not know, it's on topix as a recall.
This is the crux of this forum I suspect, dealers acting :(

F-Pace S

Post by F-Pace S » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Jagfpacejk wrote:Just a heads up but there is a jaguar recall already in place for this, not sure why some dealers are acting like they do not know, it's on topix as a recall.
You are spot on, it has just arrived on topix, and as a result my car is now being fitted with more replacement hardware, needing more time to sort the grumbling as they are not happy with the outcome of the first fix....

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:14 pm

^ might need to make a small adjustment to your signature ;-)
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Return to “Faults & Technical”