Problems with the condition of my drivers seat Leather

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar F-Pace.
Ro66ter

Re: Problems with the condition of my drivers seat Leather

Post by Ro66ter » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Russell wrote:I have to say that my experience of leather interiors is the better the quality of the leather the worse it wears. I had a brand new Bentley Continental with ivory seats and contrast piping after less than 1,000 miles I noticed the creases and greying of the base cushion and side bolsters. OK the colour was a nightmare especially if you wore jeans! Bentley replaced the seat covers but to no avail, the creasing re appeared and I guess you just accept the patina that results from use.

I specifically did not order leather on my wife's previous car, a VW Golf GTi Mk 7 as the leather on her Mk 6 was horrible, badly stretched and creased abysmally. My F-Pace has the perforated leather and it has now covered 6,500 miles since April, Yes it has a few creases but that is to be expected, in my opinion "fair wear and tear"

If you always want the seats to be pristine in a vehicle choose cloth or vinyl, after 2 years it still looks brand new! 8-)
Well now the big question is what weight are you russell

CarlFRZ434

Post by CarlFRZ434 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Often cheap leather is sprayed with a coating or a filler to smooth rough hides. You get this in household furniture too....leather sofas etc. That is definitely warranty claim, that wear should not be that extreme over such a small period of time.
R-Sport Ammonite…………Going.……Going.....GONE!!! :shock: REJECTED

DaveI

Post by DaveI » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:13 am

[img][img][/img][/img]
SJN wrote:Can you post a photo? Seat leather quality was an issue with mine. Regards.

IMG_8208.JPG

IMG_8209.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8211.JPG

IMG_8212.JPG

mb8388

Post by mb8388 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:45 am

My FE just over 5 months old with 5,000 miles and no problems with leather at all (so far...)

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 am

DaveI wrote:[img][img][/img][/img]
SJN wrote:Can you post a photo? Seat leather quality was an issue with mine. Regards.
It looks to me like something is rubbing on the edges of the seat leather, possibly a belt or jeans with embellishment, if this were to be the case it would not be covered under the warranty.

Normal creasing is to be expected even after 1000 miles or so, that is a characteristic of leather / skin! If you don't like the look you would be better off taking a vinyl or cloth option if available?

Personally I like the patina of a gently used seat, my F-Pace has covered 6,500 miles over the last 7 months and does indeed have several creases. :D

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:57 am

He must wear his belt pretty high ... is this Simon Cowell?
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:00 pm

JLRnumber5 wrote:He must wear his belt pretty high ... is this Simon Cowell?
Could be!! :lol:

But it does look as though some item of garb is rubbing the seat fairly harshly, so many items of clothing have metal bits and pieces, especially ladies apparel. ;)

Arianne

Post by Arianne » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:57 pm

TBH, that's what I was thinking too. If we want seats with sports side bolsters then I am afraid we need to be careful too about the way we get in and out of the thing. Sad but true, same with my current Volvo R-design seats.

Arianne
Rejected but still affectionately remembered: F-Pace 3.0d V6 S, IRR, 18 way jet/red sports seats + full memory, privacy glass, 22" silver/black double helix, cold climate pack!

JLRnumber5

Post by JLRnumber5 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:00 pm

^ Hmmmm ... seats are not that dissimilar from the sports seats in my Evoque. I wear jeans with belt all the time and those seats looked as good after 4 years / 45,000 miles as the day they were new and I didn't do anything other than wipe a cloth over them once a year.
Two 3.0D F-pace S gone but not forgotten.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:37 pm

I to wear jeans almost all of the time but I make sure that I don't buy jeans with metal buttons on the rear pockets or sharp studs on the edges, they are the killers! I did have one pair of jeans that I promptly discarded after badly scoring the leather bolster on my previous F-Type R!

I also find the leather looks fine after a couple of years use but I must disagree unless it is vinyl or cloth it will crease in certain areas, just like we do! :(

Return to “Faults & Technical Discussions”